• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about freezing cigars.

BTW I am a FOG. I've been smoking cigars for over a decade and just turned 45. Because I didn't see the 2nd search engine shouldn't get me chastized. :thumbs:

Humidor Minister, first off, nobody is chastising you. I posted valid, informational links. I took the time to shift through about 5 pages to get you those links. The second one is very informational. Secondly, I'm detecting more than just a hint of sarcasm, it's not like I'm one-upping you with a public search engine, I don't see the need for name calling and sarcasm when I am helping YOU. Also, I use the search bar at the top, the one where it says "search" and it pulls down a drop down bar, to the right of "store".

Third, you, nor I, are anywhere near FOGdom. Honestly, I am a bit surprised people have jumped on you for that one yet.

As I said, I'm not going around being an asshole here. This is info you could have found if you had checked. The info in my responses, along with the links I found for you, were beneficial to you, and not for my own good. I suggest taking a look at the second link provided, the experiment on frozen cigars.

The new forum software will include a major upgrade to the internal search engine. Right now it's very difficult to find anything using the built-in search engine. For now, use the Google search bar at the bottom of the page. When we install the new forum, the internal search function will be greatly improved.
That sure is good to hear I can't tell you how many times I have searched for something here and could not come up with anything. Any word when the new upgrade will happen? Thanks
Josh

I had no clue there was another search at the bottom of the page either. I need to pay more attention. ;)
Thanks.

The new forum software will include a major upgrade to the internal search engine. Right now it's very difficult to find anything using the built-in search engine. For now, use the Google search bar at the bottom of the page. When we install the new forum, the internal search function will be greatly improved.

What exactly does "new forum software" entail? I'm just curious.

Can't argue with this:

FOGS
Apparently newer members these days think they're all "fogs". Just a side note, a "fog" is not someone with the most posts (that's called a post whore, attnention whore, etc. :) ). Rather, someone who has been here for several years (typically more than 4), has contributed to the community, and is an all around upstanding member. Post count means absoloutely nothing when it comes to determining who the "fogs" are. Those who have put their time in have helped to shape CP; it irks me to see newer members blatantly disregarding our long standing rules and core values. Earn your keep and benefits will follow. Those who want direct access to "fogdom" will fail. Enjoy the community for what it is...

I hope this is clear.

I'm asking for EVERYONE to please help enforce this rule. If you see anyone discussing sources or requesting source verification, please let me know. Even though I'm against deleting content, I may have to start deleting threads where people request this information - I will not be at risk for other people's behavior.

I wouldn't be making a big issue out of this if it wasn't necessary.

So since you are so crafty (not too be taken as sarcastic, I appreciate your art and talent), Why don't you make your own climate controlled cabinet? Something like a Staebell. I don't know the process and what it requires. But I would love to see the attempt and I know a lot of other members would also. JMHO..

BTW I am a FOG.

Uhh, no you are not, just as I am not and many others.....
Sorry if I offended anyone and thanks for taking the time to locate that information. When you've been through the things life has dealt me. You are a FOG. :D Self employment for 20+ years will move you up the food chain a little. trust me. :laugh:
I think that when people use FOG here, they are invariably framing FOG within the context of the CigarPass community, not a FOG in terms of life, the universe, and everything. IMHO, one does not imply the other - in either direction.

For example, I would consider you a woodworking FOG, but within CP, I think that you're a newbie, just like me :cool:.

My 0.02CA, anyhow,
Craig.

P.S. Now that I've re-read the thread, if I were you, I would consider incorporating active cooling into a humidor (search on "Peltier" :D). IIRC, I read somewhere that cigars stored above 72-75 degrees F will eventually suffer damage, e.g., oils bleeding out of the tobacco.

edit: I'm a slow writer; I was composing during the previous response. I did not mean to pile-on.

I hope I'm not being considered a post whore. I too could care less about my post count. That's for kids. I don't think a couple hundres posts over a few months would fall into that catagory. I had an issue, I asked a question. I try to post things that might be enjoyed by others and information that might be useful ie the post about humidity. You won't see me post one word responses. I try to be constructive. I looked into the search that I knew about and didn't come up with the answer so I turned to you guys for advice and here we are. Sorry I misinterpreted your definition of a FOG. I hope that can be overlooked. If you guys don't think I've been a good contributor please let me know.

BTW the Google search says I'm forbidden access so that wouldn't have been a way to find an answer anyway.

so not to kick up more dust I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to buy some copper sheet and line the inside of my desk top and see if this has any efect on the temp interior of my humi. If it works this may be helpful to others. I'll get back to you later on my findings. :thumbs:

BTW I am a FOG.

Uhh, no you are not, just as I am not and many others.....
Sorry if I offended anyone and thanks for taking the time to locate that information. When you've been through the things life has dealt me. You are a FOG. :D Self employment for 20+ years will move you up the food chain a little. trust me. :laugh:
I think that when people use FOG here, they are invariably framing FOG within the context of the CigarPass community, not a FOG in terms of life, the universe, and everything. IMHO, one does not imply the other - in either direction.

For example, I would consider you a woodworking FOG, but within CP, I think that you're a newbie, just like me :cool:.

My 0.02CA, anyhow,
Craig.

P.S. Now that I've re-read the thread, if I were you, I would consider incorporating active cooling into a humidor (search on "Peltier" :D). IIRC, I read somewhere that cigars stored above 72-75 degrees F will eventually suffer damage, e.g., oils bleeding out of the tobacco.

edit: I'm a slow writer; I was composing during the previous response. I did not mean to pile-on.

I always wonder why people get so cuaght up in who is "FOG" and who isn't. That's not even what we are here for. I just want to be know as a stand up guy that keeps his word and you wouldn't mind having a cigar with. Outside of that...I am good on titles.

so not to kick up more dust I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to buy some copper sheet and line the inside of my desk top and see if this has any efect on the temp interior of my humi. If it works this may be helpful to others. I'll get back to you later on my findings. :thumbs:

it will be interesting to find out. Not sure it will make a difference as I think the box and copper will take on the ambient temperature of the room it is stored in.

I know that old-school humidors used copper and/or glass insides. In those, the underlying physics was to introduce additional mass, plus a thermal barrier via the dead air surfaces between/on the glass/copper and the wood (same principle as a double- or triple- glazed windows - or a thermos). Back then, copper was a convenient, readily available, inexpensive, dense, and easy to work metal. Nowadays the "inexpensive" part is gone, and we have technically superior (and uglier) polystyrene, styrofoam, and active cooling elements (and coolerdors :whistling: ).

One other old-school approach to address the issue is to use stone for additional mass. Eddie deJong has gone that route with some of his designs. (vanderburghhumidors.com - quick plug for a fellow Canadian whose humidors are both technically sound and aesthetically pleasing.)

Good luck! :D

Thanks BHR. This was one of my first humidors. I've found though I should go slightly bigger on a desktop. Kind of cramped with the humidifier jar in it. I am kind of partial to it though so I'll try new things to maintain temp and humidity. It's over a year old now and other than being to small, it's been perfectly sound. Being this small the temp can change easily too. Humidity stays pretty consistent though. It'll move slightly with temp changes but that's going to with temp fluctuation. This is the humi I'm talking about.
347059000.jpg