• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

question about lighting cigars

SMOKE!

Reaction score
Do you guys toast the foot of your cigar first or do you just light it up? I used to toast my cigars but I couldnt see that it was adding anything to the experience, so I quit. Is there any reason to toast your cigars or is it just personal preference?

With a nice even toast, i find them MUCH easier to light and usually results in a more consistant burn to start things off with.

I don't really toast it, I try to hold any flame as far away as possible and just let the heat light the stick.

Jeffro600 said:
With a nice even toast, i find them MUCH easier to light and usually results in a more consistant burn to start things off with.
[snapback]268427[/snapback]​

It does seem to light much easier in my experience as well.

I toast but don't make a big production out of it. 5-10 seconds at most.

I toast the edges by rolling the cigar in between my thumb and forefinger. Then I properly light it and find that if I've done the toasting properly the cigar burns evenly (unless the construction of the cigar is such that it burns uneven anyways).

Darren

Heh maybe I’m the odd ball. I guess its where I get the stick from. I find my sticks from my humi fire up with out the need to toasting. I run at about 65%. The sticks at the shop I toast depending on the ring size. Never noticed much difference to be honest. IMO if it’s going to do what it wants to do. If its an even smoke it will correct its self. If its an uneven smoke it will burn uneven.

A toast is a must living in South Fl, otherwise I get a shitty burn.

E

I typically toast as lightly as possible. I echo what the others have said about a nice even toasting helping in the lighting and even, early burn.

I never toast the foot.

I read an article by Lew Rothman I think, who basically excoriates those who toast the foot. He says at best it just adds some soot and other nasty byproducts from the flame.

Well if you're relying on someone elses opinion, that's definitely your right.

I've found that when I toast the foot of my cigars, it helps keep the burn even and is also easier to light. I've never had any soot or byproducts added from the flame.

If you hold the flame far enough away, there is no charring or soot. As if you aren't going to get charring or soot by lighting the mf'er. LMAO... if Lew Rothman used anti-freeze to regulate RH in humidore because it has PG in it, would you? ???

emodx said:
if Lew Rothman used anti-freeze to regulate RH in humidore because it has PG in it, would you? ???
[snapback]268524[/snapback]​

:sign:
icon8.gif

I take my triple flame lighter and torch the sh*t out of the foot. Never had a problem with it lighting. Toast and light at the same time.

emodx said:
LMAO... if Lew Rothman used anti-freeze to regulate RH in humidore because it has PG in it, would you? ???
[snapback]268524[/snapback]​

I hear anti-freeze adds "sweetness" to your cigars.