• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about nicotine

Connor

Just how much nicotine does one get from the "average" cigar? An Oliva Series G robusto/churchill, maduro/habano respectively, for example, and just cigars in general, if you don't inhale. Just something I'd like to know.

What exactly do you want to know? I'm not sure you worded your question right seeing as the nicotine in cigars isn't exactly quantified in say, a percentage. The description of "body" on the other hand can be used to describe the nicotine content in cigar as a full body cigar has a greater nicotine effect than a light or medium body cigar...

As a former cigarette smoker I am familiar with the withdraw symptoms from cigarettes. I can honestly say I never feel withdraws from cigars. I never crave them like I craved cigarettes.

I know that cigars deliver more nicotine per cigar than cigarettes. I don't know the percentage. 12 seems right.

I like eleventy-one.

Really, AFAIK, there isn't a specific number associated to cigars like there is cigarettes...

typing after beer is hard...

Just how much nicotine does one get from the "average" cigar? An Oliva Series G robusto/churchill, maduro/habano respectively, for example, and just cigars in general, if you don't inhale. Just something I'd like to know.

Holy comma's

On a serious note, nicotine itself is a function of releasing glucose from the liver and epinephrine from the adrenal gland, which causes the relaxation feeling. Cigars unlike cigarettes go into your blood stream through your blood vessels within your mouth, cigarettes get into the blood stream through your lungs. (I am not saying that this is 100% true, since cigar smoke can and does get into the lungs, but just not nearly as much as cigarettes, since cigars are not inhaled). So with that being said, cigars have a higher concentration of nicotine. But the real question is how much of that actually goes into the blood stream vs. cigarettes which has a lower concentration but more nicotine enters the blood stream than a cigar would. This is not a one size fit all concept; to answer your question with 100% accuracy would be nearly impossible (at least in my opinion). Keep in mind, most of us here don't smoke cigars for merely the nicotine; we smoke for the enjoyment of fine tasting tobacco and the pleasure of smoking with some great BOTLs.

David

As a former cigarette smoker I am familiar with the withdraw symptoms from cigarettes. I can honestly say I never feel withdraws from cigars. I never crave them like I craved cigarettes.

I know that cigars deliver more nicotine per cigar than cigarettes. I don't know the percentage. 12 seems right.

What he said!!!

On a serious note, nicotine itself is a function of releasing glucose from the liver and epinephrine from the adrenal gland, which causes the relaxation feeling. Cigars unlike cigarettes go into your blood stream through your blood vessels within your mouth, cigarettes get into the blood stream through your lungs. (I am not saying that this is 100% true, since cigar smoke can and does get into the lungs, but just not nearly as much as cigarettes, since cigars are not inhaled). So with that being said, cigars have a higher concentration of nicotine. But the real question is how much of that actually goes into the blood stream vs. cigarettes which has a lower concentration but more nicotine enters the blood stream than a cigar would. This is not a one size fit all concept; to answer your question with 100% accuracy would be nearly impossible (at least in my opinion). Keep in mind, most of us here don't smoke cigars for merely the nicotine; we smoke for the enjoyment of fine tasting tobacco and the pleasure of smoking with some great BOTLs.

David

And I've had so much relaxation in me, I crash after a good afternoon smoke. :laugh: Okay, maybe it's just because I like naps.

Thanks for explanation David, I've wondered about that.

I suppose I'm just wondering about the nicotine intake comparison between cigars and cigarettes lol.

Holy comma's

David

While nicotine does cause an increase in blood sugar levels, the relaxation feeling is mainly thought to come from dopamine release as a result of activating nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAchR) in the brain. Well it's kind of hard to differentiate the two because there's also nAchR's throughout the body. And I think the norepinepherine release actually causes the jittery effects of smoking.

Don't be a dick, this guy runs the CP chatroom

I wish I could get all of the flavor and enjoyment from cigars without any nicotine. I know the addictive properties and how they had me when I smoked cigarettes. I never want to be a slave to that s%!t again. But again, it's risk vs. reward.

The present study examined characteristics relating to nicotine delivery of 17 cigar brands, which included small cigars, cigarillos, and large premium cigar brands. The cigars selected for analysis were intended to represent the range of cigar products currently available and in popular use. In addition to cigar characteristics previously studied such as size, nicotine content, and pH of their tobacco, the present study examined smoke pH on a puff-by-puff basis. The tobacco content of the cigars ranged in weight from 0.53 to 21.5 g. There was considerable variation in total nicotine content, which ranged from 5.9 to 335.2 mg per cigar. The aqueous pH of the tobacco from the cigars also varied widely with values ranging from 5.7 to 7.8. The smoke pH values of the smallest cigars was generally acidic, changed little across puffs, and more closely resembled the profiles previously reported for typical cigarettes. Interestingly, the smoke pH of smaller cigars and cigarillos became acidic after the first third of the cigar was consumed and then remained acidic thereafter, whereas larger cigars became acidic during the first third, then became quite alkaline during the last third. Because of wide variations in nicotine content of the tobacco across brands and of similarly wide variations in smoke pH, cigar size is not an accurate predictor of the nicotine delivery capacity of a particular cigar brand, although, in general, larger cigars are capable of providing larger total nicotine delivery with extraordinarily high delivery levels being possible from many of the large premium cigars. These results demonstrated that the popular cigars in this study contained enough nicotine for the development of dependence when smoking as few as one or two of the larger cigars per day.

I wish I could get all of the flavor and enjoyment from cigars without any nicotine. I know the addictive properties and how they had me when I smoked cigarettes. I never want to be a slave to that s%!t again. But again, it's risk vs. reward.

Well...if you can actually take a LFD Double Ligero Chisel and inhale all the smoke from start to finish, I would say you are Da Man and would become a slave to addiction. Since this isn't the case, the chances of getting addicted to cigars seems unlikely. You will get addicted to the feeling of relaxing while smoking the cigar vs the actual nicotine in the cigar tobacco. Even when I had my little brief encounter with a minimal security prison for like 8 days, I had ZERO withdrawl symptoms and I was smoking 5 to 20 cigars a day at that point still. Not out of addiction but out of boredom. Plus, trying everything I could get my hands on at the time.

Well...if you can actually take a LFD Double Ligero Chisel and inhale all the smoke from start to finish, I would say you are Da Man and would become a slave to addiction. Since this isn't the case, the chances of getting addicted to cigars seems unlikely. You will get addicted to the feeling of relaxing while smoking the cigar vs the actual nicotine in the cigar tobacco. Even when I had my little brief encounter with a minimal security prison for like 8 days, I had ZERO withdrawl symptoms and I was smoking 5 to 20 cigars a day at that point still. Not out of addiction but out of boredom. Plus, trying everything I could get my hands on at the time.

Holy chit! :0 20 cigars a day? is there even enough time in a day to smoke 20 cigars? :laugh:

David

These results demonstrated that the popular cigars in this study contained enough nicotine for the development of dependence when smoking as few as one or two of the larger cigars per day.

That seems accurate to me.

You must be some kind of Nicotine fng Superman. I believe most people would be physically addicted under similar circumstances. Honestly, if you're smoking a couple 'heavy' cigars each day, you are going to realize some form of physical addiction to nicotine. I would venture further to say that if you were smoking even one a day, you're still going to face some form of physical. It's just the way the body operates. Cigars seem to lend many smokers a security blanket of justification. "You don't inhale, so they aren't the same as cigarettes." In moderation, that's probably true, but that's the slippery slope with addiction.

These results demonstrated that the popular cigars in this study contained enough nicotine for the development of dependence when smoking as few as one or two of the larger cigars per day.

That seems accurate to me.

You must be some kind of Nicotine fng Superman. I believe most people would be physically addicted under similar circumstances. Honestly, if you're smoking a couple 'heavy' cigars each day, you are going to realize some form of physical addiction to nicotine. I would venture further to say that if you were smoking even one a day, you're still going to face some form of physical. It's just the way the body operates. Cigars seem to lend many smokers a security blanket of justification. "You don't inhale, so they aren't the same as cigarettes." In moderation, that's probably true, but that's the slippery slope with addiction.

I've only smoked cigars since March 1997 during our rotation at Ft Irwin, Cali for Task Force XXI rotation. I still haven't had a physical addiction. But i also don't have the addictive personality that can be found in society. Simply because it makes you feel good, you acquire an addiction. Had some friends that did something that made them feel good and they was instantly dependent on whatever it was. Like this guy named Chris. Tried 1 cigarette and the same day he already smoked a pack. Try a glass of booze and not even 5 mins later he was hooked and drink till he passed out. The same day he tried alcohol the first time. Sad and pathetic really when you think about it.

Every body is different and react in different ways. I was also told I would be HIGHLY addicted to Hydrocodone after taking it for what 5 to 7 years straight. I was on 40mg's a day. You would be wrong to think I had any form of addiction to it. My doctor took me off of it. Not because of any addiction to it. They was concerned what it would do to my body and organs during a long term treatment. My prescription ran out and life went on with NO dependency to it. :thumbs:

I smoke usually a cigar a day, sometimes two. On certain Fridays a friends house, I'll usually smoke a "regular" cigar (I seem to always bring CAO Brazilias over there), and then chain smoke little "Bandidos" as the night progresses and the alcohol intake rises, just sitting outside shooting the shit. Do I smoke enough to form a physical or mental addiction? I don't know. However, I can go days without a cigar (easy to do on long weekends doing the single-dad thing with the kids home) and not have a craving for one at all. Only time I really think about it is when I would rather be sitting outside in the sun reading. That is when I usually have my daily smoke, so I think I'm just kind of conditioned to it. If there's any sort of addiction, I think it's mental more so than physical.

I HAVE had a physical addiction to certain anti-depressants before. I hate taking pills/medicine of any kind, so as soon as I got out of the hospital I stopped taking them. I now know what substance withdrawal feels like. Headache, chills, nausea... it sucked. So, I talked to my doctor about it and he started slowly lowering my dosage until I was able to stop taking them with minimal side effects. I've never smoked cigarettes or drank copious amounts of liquor. Never been on drugs that weren't prescribed, and got off of THOSE as soon as possible when they were prescribed. Only thing I still take on a daily basis that I don't see myself getting off of anytime soon is Neurontin... because phantom pain is a bitch. I've tried not taking it, or even taking lower doses, and I have too much nerve damage in my leg/s to not keep it in check somehow in order to be functional. I don't have withdrawal when I stop taking it, just pain. A LOT of pain.