• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about taste

dirty james

So, I was a long time cigarette smoker, from 17-24, and every now and then have one. I'm 40 now and only been into cigars for about 5 months. What I'm wondering is if the cigarette smoking had any affect on taste for cigars now. For example, I have trouble sensing any kind of taste out of most mild sticks, especially connies. If I had never smoked cigs before, would I be experiencing a different taste profile on cigars than what I do now?

TIA,

DJ

Cigarette smoking is known to dull both your sense of smell and taste...so yes, it will affect your perception of the taste profile of a cigar.

Quit smoking cigarettes (even the "now and then cigarettes") and your sense of taste and smell will return to normal within a month.

Another thing to look at is that taste and smell go hand in hand. If you have problems smelling, taste will be affected by it. So sinus problems can be a problem. I would at the U of U Medical Center in Salt Lake City and got a wiff of a nasty chemical back in 1991. It caused me to have nose bleeds for 3 years. I lost my sense of smell and taste. Then in Aug 2010, I started to gain it back slowly due to the fact I have to take a sinus pill once a day and a nasty nasal spray 2 times a day. These two medications has really made a HUGE difference with my cigar smoking experience. I was told then I would need to be on a sinus spray for life. I couldn't afford the $75 a month bottle of spray once I left the hospital in 1994. So between 1994 to 2010 I was lucky to identify transitions that take place in a cigar.

I had to have my friends tell me. Now its a whole different story. I really appreciate the cigars more now. :thumbs:

Another thing to look at is that taste and smell go hand in hand. If you have problems smelling, taste will be affected by it. So sinus problems can be a problem. I would at the U of U Medical Center in Salt Lake City and got a wiff of a nasty chemical back in 1991. It caused me to have nose bleeds for 3 years. I lost my sense of smell and taste. Then in Aug 2010, I started to gain it back slowly due to the fact I have to take a sinus pill once a day and a nasty nasal spray 2 times a day. These two medications has really made a HUGE difference with my cigar smoking experience. I was told then I would need to be on a sinus spray for life. I couldn't afford the $75 a month bottle of spray once I left the hospital in 1994. So between 1994 to 2010 I was lucky to identify transitions that take place in a cigar.

I had to have my friends tell me. Now its a whole different story. I really appreciate the cigars more now. :thumbs:

I get pissed when I get a cold and cannot taste anything for a couple of days, cannot imagine going through that. Glad to hear it is getting better!

Dang Peat, that sucks, glad your making a recovery and enjoying some of those fancy cigars you have. As far as cigarettes, stop them for six month and see what you get out of your cigars. You might be surprised.

Thanks for the replies. When I say I have a cigarette every now and again, that's probably one a year tops. Realisticly, every 18 months. Mr. Peat, glad you are getting through that experience. I did have sinus surgery about 16 months ago that really helped me to breath better and one side effect was my sense of smell. I think sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I also take a daily allergy pill. Food for thought for me, thanks.

I would think smoking cigars, over time would dull the taste and senses as well.