• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about Tubos & A/T

symyn

I have never really experimented with buying full boxes and I have actually only had 1 or 2 tubos. The idea of a cigar in a small carrying case makes a lot of sense to me as it is a bit more secure then throwing cigars in a zip lock or my leather carrying case. I was hoping someone could shed some light on there favorite brands/sizes and also maybe the best bang for the buck.

Best Overall (but very spendy): Siglo VI A/T
Best Deal: RyJ No 2 A/T

Hard to beat the Upmann Monarchs and the RyJ Churchills, though the regular boxes are cheaper, and I don't think the quality is any different.

JMO

edited cuz I can't seem to type

Take your pick. :D

Tubos072706.jpg

But seriously, good values are any of the small Upmann tubos (Coronas Major, Junior, Singulares), Partagas Deluxe, Bolivar No. 2, and Romeo y Julieta Romeos No. 1 and 2.

Nice but a bit more are Montecristo Tubos and Petit Tubos and Bolivar No. 1.

The Churchill class standouts are the RyJ Churchill, Upmann Monarchs, and Punch Monarca.

The Siglo VI is in a class of its own and soon to be joined by the Siglo II and RyJ Short Churchills.

Wilkey

Very cool Wilkey :)

What are some of your experiences with the taint of the metal taste getting on the cigars?

Very cool Wilkey :)

What are some of your experiences with the taint of the metal taste getting on the cigars?

Wow. :0 Where did you hear such a thing? Is this something you've experienced? You don't need to get Cuban tubos to check this out. Plenty of NC's come in tubos as well. I've never tasted any hint of aluminum in any tubo cigar I've smoked.

You do know you're supposed to take them out of the tube when you go to smoke them, right? :p

Wilkey

Haha!

I was just told by another member that he had this experience. I was wondering if anyone else might concur. Being that I have only had 2 I don't think I am an expert :)

I have always wondered.Is there any difference in the blend for a tubos cigar vs. a celloed stick of the same vitola or is the only difference the fact that it comes in a metal tube?

I can only comment as far as the Bolivar No.1 and No.2 (Coronas and Petit Coronas, untubed) and the Montecristo Petit Tubos (Montecristo No. 4, untubed). To my taste, there is no difference.

I don't know that the other tubos (Punch, etc.) have direct totalmente a mano analogs.

Wilkey

One of my personal favorites is also a great value, H. Upmann Coronas Major :love: Great little smoke and usually available for around $100 a box. The RyJ Churchills are great as well but a little more expensive as there is a lot more cigar in the tube. :sign:

CYG

Best Tubos I've had, was the Montecristo Tubos A/T.

My collection isn't quite as big as Wilkey's but its not shabby either, its all a matter of personal taste :)

My opinion of tubos is different then some of the others. I can taste the metalic taste in tubos. It is like drinking pop from a can vs. a plastic bottle. The taste is there. I do have some tubos in my collection but, they are mostly give away sticks. Of course this is only one mans humble opinion.

Some sticks in tubes DO come with a thin wrap of Spanish cedar on them to insulate from the interior wall of the tube.

Some sticks in tubes DO come with a thin wrap of Spanish cedar on them to insulate from the interior wall of the tube.

In my experience, practically all have a cedar liner. Many do not extend the entire length of the cigar though so some direct cigar-tube exposure is likely.

Wilkey

My opinion of tubos is different then some of the others. I can taste the metalic taste in tubos. It is like drinking pop from a can vs. a plastic bottle. The taste is there. I do have some tubos in my collection but, they are mostly give away sticks. Of course this is only one mans humble opinion.

I and everyone I know can not taste the metal at all, are you sure its not just an psychological effect?

In my experience, practically all have a cedar liner. Many do not extend the entire length of the cigar though so some direct cigar-tube exposure is likely.

Wilkey

The foot and for the most part the head of the cigar always touches the metal of the tube.

Wurm I am pretty sure I know what I taste. Like I said it is my opinion. Even though there is a cedar liner, it still recieve flavors from the entire surroundings. That is the reason you would not put a flavored cigar around the rest of your collection.

occifer143, that make sense. I will just have to come to a conclusion through smoking more A/T :)

Well,

If the metal is an issue, you could always opt for one of the glass-tubed models of which there are several. Or you could go with the Guantanamera Cristales which are in plastic tubes. :sign:

BTW, Shawn's right on about the head contact. And if there is any corrosion from overhumidification, then traces of this would likely be found on the head. This is problematic because the head goes in the mouth.

Occifer,
Flavored cigars contain volatile substances. They will evaporate and pervade and invade the surrounding spaces. Picking up residue of metallic corrosion can only be accomplished through direct physical contact.

Wilkey

I take the caps off of my tubos before I put them in the humi. Is this the correct way to store them? Seems like having a cigar sealed in metal would keep the humidity out.