• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question for AVB

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
Stranahans Colorado Whiskey

I heard about this on the radio today. It was taste tested by an air personality who claimed to be a regular consumer of single malts. He quite liked it. It's $50/bottle and I'm considering a road trip to tour the distillery, such as it is, and pick one up. In truth, I could drive 5 minutes to Chambers Wine & Liquors and get one without the fuss, but I like the road trip idea.

Stranahans Colorado Whiskey

I heard about this on the radio today. It was taste tested by an air personality who claimed to be a regular consumer of single malts. He quite liked it. It's $50/bottle and I'm considering a road trip to tour the distillery, such as it is, and pick one up. In truth, I could drive 5 minutes to Chambers Wine & Liquors and get one without the fuss, but I like the road trip idea.
Chambers is a great little store but yes, lets make the trip to the distillery.

Never heard of it. Seeing that they are calling it whiskey and not Bourbon it is either too young or not made with at least 51% corn in the mash or both.

Never heard of it. Seeing that they are calling it whiskey and not Bourbon it is either too young or not made with at least 51% corn in the mash or both.

I thought if it wasn't made in Kentucky it could not be called Bourbon...like how Dickel and Jack Daniels are Tenessee Whiskey and not Bourbon - or is that due to the filtering process?

Here is another interesting read - LINK. This stuff is "the first legal barrels of whiskey ever made in the state of Colorado." Well it definitely has me interested. Gotta get my hands on a bottle and try some homegrown stuff.

Here is another interesting read - LINK. This stuff is "the first legal barrels of whiskey ever made in the state of Colorado." Well it definitely has me interested. Gotta get my hands on a bottle and try some homegrown stuff.

Saturday works for me, Jonas. What do you say?

Bourbon by law has to be made with a minimum of 51 and a maximum of 79% corn, be distilled at less than 160 proof, be stored in new charred white oak barrels and be at least 2 years old. JAck Danials and George Dickle do not meet all of those requirements. Bourbon can be made aywhere in the US that meets the above.

I thought if it wasn't made in Kentucky it could not be called Bourbon...like how Dickel and Jack Daniels are Tenessee Whiskey and not Bourbon - or is that due to the filtering process?

Bourbon by law has to be made with a minimum of 51 and a maximum of 79% corn, be distilled at less than 160 proof, be stored in new charred white oak barrels and be at least 2 years old. JAck Danials and George Dickle do not meet all of those requirements. Bourbon can be made aywhere in the US that meets the above.

Got ya. Thanks for clarifying.

Saturday works for me, Jonas. What do you say?
Saturday I am booked with honey-dos out the wazoo. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what the schedule is like in the next week or so.

Also, I was at the store today and just couldn't pass it up. My whiskey guy said that they can't keep it in stock but luckily he had a box in the back and grabbed one for me. I asked him if he had tried it, he said he had and it was "fantastic". We will see...

205605.jpg

205714.jpg
205649.jpg

In truth, I'm supposed to be doing honey do work this weekend. However, I'll check around for my own bottle.

I've been doing a little digging around about this and it appears to be more of an American Single Malt (which is a type of whiskey) more then the normal American whiskey or a bourbon style. Something along the lines of McCarthy's Single Malt from Oregon. Most reviews have been quite good so perhaps I'll have to put this on my list.

I've been doing a little digging around about this and it appears to be more of an American Single Malt (which is a type of whiskey) more then the normal American whiskey or a bourbon style. Something along the lines of McCarthy's Single Malt from Oregon. Most reviews have been quite good so perhaps I'll have to put this on my list.

That's kind of the conclusion I came too. They're getting their mash from a microbrewery, so it seems to have a lot of barley (though, they've altered the plain beer mash). The opinions I read seemed to have not tried it, but we're interested because the mash that Stranahan's is getting from the microbrew is supposed to be a higher quality mash than is used in whiskeys - the idea is that a mash with less impurities should make a better whiskey. Who knows. Maybe when it's more readily available I'll get a bottle, it looks pretty interesting.

I went to get mine today. There were a dozen bottles on the shelf. If anyone is $55 curious, I'd be glad to go get another.

Back