• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question for you fitness types- Protein powder

bilder

Been working out at the gym and watching what I eat. Was not sure I would like the gym, but am actually enjoying it and look forward to going. Have dropped 8 pounds in the last 14 days and I really do not feel like I am trying all that hard.

Anyway, I have changed my eating habits to several smaller meals/snacks during the day. Been keeping them in the 200-300 calorie range as much as possible. Has been suggested to me that I add a protein powder to my diet to up the amount of proteins I am taking in, especially after a workout. Question is, I am not sure which one gets me the best bang for the buck. Looking for something that tastes good and is somewhat affordable.

What are you fitness types using if any?

Sounds terrible. Couldn't you just change what you eat rather than buying some crazy powder? Fish, chicken and tofu? mmmm, a barely seared tuna steak with sesame oil and a splash of balsamic sounds really good right about now.

Thanks a lot, now I have to go to the store.

Muscle Milk! I haven't had a flavor I didn't enjoy yet. The drawback, it carries some fat calories.

Myoplex is another good tasting protein, but they don't have a varied flavor line.

Both of them come in powdered or ready to drink versions, depending on your budget.

Good luck to you in your goals Bilder!

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, chocolate malt flavor. If you like malt flavor. I've tried the regular double chocolate flavor and it wasn't as good. It mixes great with water or milk, no clumps.

I've tried the Muscle Asylum product (chocolate) and I didn't like it. It clumped real bad and had cinnamon in it, which I don't like.

Check out BodyBuilding.com, too. Great reviews on products, workout/equipment recommendations, etc. I buy my protein powder and creatine from the store there.

Edit to add: make sure you're taking a multi-vitamin, too. Optimum Nutrition puts out one that I'm taking now that's loaded with all kinds of good stuff (opti-men, I think it's called).

-John

My wife is on the 300 cal 6 meal a day plan right now as she wants to fit into some dress for a party in December. Her goal is 125 from 134 and she's half way there already. Anyway, this is what she uses too and seems to like it.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, chocolate malt flavor. If you like malt flavor. I've tried the regular double chocolate flavor and it wasn't as good. It mixes great with water or milk, no clumps.

-John

I gotta agree with what John said. None of this Isopure $60 bucks a container crap... Hell, even Musclemilk, although it tastes awesome, is creepy-expensive.

I also stick to Myoplex as I can get a 5 lb. bag at Sam's Club for $30 bucks. Sure, I might not look like Mister Siglo-Man in his avatars :)laugh: ), but it saves me a buttload of money and I'm still getting the nutrition I need.

Prosourse has a good selection of protein powder in the kilo tub. The nitrowhey cake batter is $29 a kilo when you buy a case of 4. It's a good product.

I get the "premier" protein shake from costco, I like them because they are pretty cheap, low fat, 30g per shake, pre made. I am really busy so making shakes isn't for me. I like this brand because they are delicious, and ready to go. I have 2-3 per day, as it is recommended that you take your body weight in protein to see "optimal" results. Start off with eating more protein in your diet, ie cheese, nuts, meats and adding one shake a day 30-60g of protein. You will be very happy with your results.

The shakes from costco are 19 shakes for $22

jamal

I've tried the Muscle Asylum product (chocolate) and I didn't like it. It clumped real bad and had cinnamon in it, which I don't like.

Check out BodyBuilding.com, too. Great reviews on products, workout/equipment recommendations, etc. I buy my protein powder and creatine from the store there.

Edit to add: make sure you're taking a multi-vitamin, too. Optimum Nutrition puts out one that I'm taking now that's loaded with all kinds of good stuff (opti-men, I think it's called).

-John

I agree that ON whey is a excellent choice. You are dropping lbs to fast. Do not starve yourself 200-300 cals a meal even if you eat 6 times a day is not enough cals. Your also burning up muscle by doing this. I would suggest around 2500 cals a day. Eat alot of chicken and turkey and try not to eat any junk food. 2500 cals and cardio 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes a day will do wonders. Losing 1-1.5 pounds a week is the safest way to do this. I wish you the best.

-John

I gotta agree with what John said. None of this Isopure $60 bucks a container crap... Hell, even Musclemilk, although it tastes awesome, is creepy-expensive.

I also stick to Myoplex as I can get a 5 lb. bag at Sam's Club for $30 bucks. Sure, I might not look like Mister Siglo-Man in his avatars :)laugh: ), but it saves me a buttload of money and I'm still getting the nutrition I need.

I use Myoplex as well, but going to switch to ON once I finish my last tub. Been trying to lose some weight for my wedding next month. It tastes great and can be found for a good price.

However, I would recommend the ON, the Myoplex has high cholesterol numbers. While I haven't tried the ON, people seem to like how it tastes and the price is comparable to the myo.

It doesn't sound like portability factors in at all in your stated search parameters. I'd suggest heading over to Costco and picking up packages of 7oz cans of water packed tuna. Very high protein, very low fat, very low cost. And it's hard to beat real food. Change that up occasionally with tofu, which can also be found cheap and mixes well with just about anything, and some egg white for variety.

Optimum Nutrition NATURAL 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard Vanilla.

All Natural: no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners.

This is my protein powder of choice. I like to mix it up with about a cup of milk and a cup of some type of juice. Maybe I will put a little wheat germ and flax seed oil in there with some yogurt and frozen fruit if I want more of a meal shake. Or sometimes i just mix it up with the milk or juice.

But the above posters are right, protein powder isn't really necessary. It is a convenient way to take in some quick quality nutrition but it is not the be all end all of nutrition either and won't make you a huge ripped monster just by taking it.

I recommend reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Eating-Susan-M-Kleiner/dp/0736038531

It is one of the better books on nutrition I have read, not that I am an expert.

Good luck.

Ditto again, sensible eating is a better idea than protein supplements. Now as for a cheap and good alternative, if you can figure out how you like it, try non-fat dry powdered milk. You can mix it in a variety of things, and it's a cheap, good protein source. I like it in hot chocolate or my morning oatmeal personally.

I find a cup full of protein powder and water fills me up more than a can of tuna would and is easier to prepare than a 1/2 pound of chicken. If you're fighting the hunger monster, getting that "full" or satisfied feeling along with X amount of protein you need is a plus.

6.5oz tuna, 48g protein, 1g fat, 57g cholesterol (a little over a can of tuna)
7.5oz chicken, 48g protein, 3g fat, 123g cholesterol (just under 1/2 pound of chicken)
22oz ON protein powder/water, 48g protein, 2g fat, 60g cholesterol (two scoops powder w/20oz water)

Watch the cholesterol for protein powders. Some of them are really high!

-John

Optimum Nutrition has a whole bunch of different kinds of whey combinations and all are great. Have tried multiple flavors and all are good. I believe they all even include glutamine now as well. Some even combine whey with caseine to give more of a time release which is good to take before bed. If you are just looking for something to take as a post workout you'll want something with some carbs for glycogen restoration and whey so it absorbs quicker during protein synthesis. Cheaper alternative would be albacore tuna. A can contains about 33grams of protein.

I agree that ON whey is a excellent choice. You are dropping lbs to fast. Do not starve yourself 200-300 cals a meal even if you eat 6 times a day is not enough cals. Your also burning up muscle by doing this. I would suggest around 2500 cals a day. Eat alot of chicken and turkey and try not to eat any junk food. 2500 cals and cardio 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes a day will do wonders. Losing 1-1.5 pounds a week is the safest way to do this. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I agree that I am dropping too fast. That is why the protein powder was suggested to me as an added boost to my intake. The gym has a trainer who offers classes on the basics of forming a plan and he suggested eating some tuna each day and a protein powder with at least 20g of protein and less than 4g of sugar and as little fat as possible per serving.

I will buy some of the ON and give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I agree that I am dropping too fast. That is why the protein powder was suggested to me as an added boost to my intake. The gym has a trainer who offers classes on the basics of forming a plan and he suggested eating some tuna each day and a protein powder with at least 20g of protein and less than 4g of sugar and as little fat as possible per serving.

I will buy some of the ON and give it a try.

Sounds good. I wish you the very best. :thumbs:

I love Biotest's Metabolic Drive protein powders. They're not the cheapest, but they're also not the most expensive. Combine that with it being totally edible and mixing readily with just a shaker bottle, and I think they're totally worth the price.

https://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_store