• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question for you vert coolidor guys

hydro-terp

I'm poised to upgrade coolers to a 100 qt marine and want to have it verticle so I wont have to dig through boxes to get stuff out.

Anyway Im running into a dead end trying to find a way to have it stand on its end and not wobble or fall over. I removed the handle and tried velcroing it to a short stepping stool to give it legs but didnt get satisfactory results. I guess I could glue it with liquid nails but if that doesnt work there would be no returning the cooler for a refund. I dont want to resort to screwing stuff to it to give it legs just yet. Also if it turns into some major DIY custom fab project just for a base its looses its appeal.

I dont want to load it it up and have it fall over like a house of cards.

Any pics would be great.

TIA

I took some shims and drilled them into the bottom of the cooler and sealed it with a little silicon.

I remember a post where someone put those doorstops on the bottom. The type you put on the bottom of the door, triangular shaped. I just screwed a small piece of wood to flatten and level it out but it all depends on the shape of your coolidor. Once you start to get some boxes in there the weight will help keep it down.

You could try building a little "U" from wood around the base of the cooler basically giving it a slightly bigger and sturdier footprint...that can't be accidentally kicked or moved away from the base like a doorstop

Doorstops have been used with great success for this purpose in the past.

Whatever you choose for feet, I don't think I'd get out the drill. I think some contact cement would do the trick... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I remember a post where someone put those doorstops on the bottom. The type you put on the bottom of the door, triangular shaped. I just screwed a small piece of wood to flatten and level it out but it all depends on the shape of your coolidor. Once you start to get some boxes in there the weight will help keep it down.

X2 as they come in different sizes and are available in a clear or white color

I built a stand so that the cooler would sit on the stand and when the door was opened downward, it would lay on the table on which the cooler and stand sit. Very sturdy.

When I went to two units I mounted them to the wall in my basement with the use of a couple 2" x 4" x 8' and a couple 45 degree miter cuts.

I'd be happy to send you drawings or pictures if you wish........just PM me.

Edited to add........A little bit of cedar to make a shelf and each cooler holds about 20 boxes and they are all easily accessible.
f_P1010047m_f4d3b7b.jpg

I used the rubber door-stops as described above and some heavy-duty double sided tape, both from Home Depot or Lowe's and have not had any problems since.

I built a stand so that the cooler would sit on the stand and when the door was opened downward, it would lay on the table on which the cooler and stand sit. Very sturdy.

When I went to two units I mounted them to the wall in my basement with the use of a couple 2" x 4" x 8' and a couple 45 degree miter cuts.

I'd be happy to send you drawings or pictures if you wish........just PM me.

Edited to add........A little bit of cedar to make a shelf and each cooler holds about 20 boxes and they are all easily accessible.
f_P1010047m_f4d3b7b.jpg

That is the bee's knees and the wax that makes them go. Great setup!

Check out this link: Cooler Pics it has some good pics & a description on how to make a stand.

Thanks for the link. I have looked at the Rubbermaid coolers at Sams more than once and could never figure out how to make any kind of a stand for it.

It would only be $10 more than what I paid for the 100 qt coleman so $10 for 50% more capacity. The coleman does have more slots for shelves so thats appealing to me.

I'll have to transfer my stash into the new one and if its close to capacity Im off to return the coleman and then on to snagging the rubbermaid. No sense stepping up in coolers if there isnt room to grow.