• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question from a newbie.

Whitsidio

First off, this is my first time posting on this forum, so I guess I should say "Hi".

Basically I have only been smoking cigars for a year, and only purchasing one or two at a time, never needing to worry about storage. Recently I recieved two boxes of 20 for a special ocassion. My question to the knowledgable here, is......

Should I get a humidor, if so what size, brand etc. or are there other options available to me which won't break the bank.

Just to let you know, I do intend to improve upon my collection when the money is available to me (im only 20, so I have other things to pay for) so this is something I see myself doing in the years to come, not something I will get tired of in a couple months.

Thanks in advance.

JRW

Let me be the first to say it:

COOLERDOR and use these for humidification purposes.

Oh and by the way
welcome.gif
Whitsidio to CPass. You'll find lots of friendly and helpful people here.

Stick around and enjoy!! ;)

Welcome to CP Whitsidio. :)

as for a humidor 100ct. will do for now.
But like CC said coolidor it will fill up fast. :D

Hello and welcome.

I'm fairly new to cigarpass too, and have been enjoying the people and site. I have been using a coolidor also, and humidifing with the wet flower foam and distilled water.
Enjoy,
gr8smokes

You can get a nice humidor for under $100 -- check out:

http://www.topshelfhumidors.com/

If you're looking for something to store your smokes in, my advice would be to buy triple what you think you need.  If you think you only will store 25 cigars in there, get something that'll hold 75 or so (give or take).

The most important thing in a humidor is that it, well, keeps your cigars humid and protected.  Pursuant to that, you want something that is  well built (Spanish cedar-lined, not just any old cedar), and you want a good digital hydrometer (the analog ones look prettier, but are generally far less accurate and more finicky).

You also want a good Credo system.  My personal fav right now is the Davidoff system, because you don't have to soak anything, you just fill up the tank.  But really, soaking the credo once a month or so (depending on the humidity where you are) isn't a big deal.

A final consideration may be that you want something that appeals to your aesthetic, since you'll probably have it out on a shelf or dresser somewhere

yeah! another new guy, and he is young like me!
:thumbs:
welcome to the site.

I would say, yes, your best bet would be a humidor.
climmax beads are a great step as well, recc 1 lb. of the stuff.

my recc., http://www.bargainhumidors.com

:thumbs:
you can get a nice 100ct. shipped to you for ~$55.
if they have any 'seconds' of them left, $10 cheaper.

yeah, you can get a cooler, but since you do nothave tons, a nice wooden desk-top humidor is a great idea. (not that I am anti-cooler, but wood humis look prettier :love: )

and yes, would reccomend to 100ct., got a 50ct. first and it filled up too quickly.

Welcome to CP! And definitely go the coolidor route. You won't regret it.

I will go out on a limb and say go for a 300 count humi first. If you really do get the bug they fill up way faster then you ever planned on so why not just start out with a big boy. Bat Cheif just picked up this Bad Boy for not much more then a 100 count would run and it's really nice.

Coolidors are great for really big storage solutions, but a person always wants a nice humi in sight of company as well. Something that looks good and does the job. Keep the bundles and boxes in the coolidor and the single sticks in the humi.

The only real question is if you will keep with your new hobby. If your sure you will then go all out. If there is any doubt at all then perhaps a huge tupidor is the route. For just a few bucks at wal-mart plus a digital hygrometer and a few climmax beads you'll have a suitable humidor stand in until you decide on the future of your hobby. If you do grow into a humi and coolidor you can then use the tupidor for your first box pass.

Get a half pound of 65% climmax beads no matter which direction you go in.

Also spend $20 or $30 on at least one good digital hygrometer.

You can find both on This Site.

Have fun and enjoy your great new hobby. Cigars are fun!!

Welcome to CP... careful of some of the advice offered here. Everyone has an opinion on whats best (including me :) ) but might not be best for you. Use common sense for your storage needs and you'll do fine.

Your post stated you were young and usually don't pick up more than a few cigars at a time. (with the occasional exception) No offense meant by this assessment but since you said you were young, had other things to spend money on, and want a cheap way of storing cigars I am ASSuming you are not rolling in cash, you have a car, girlfriend, possibly school that requires your money before cigars, and, you will not be showing off this humidor in something like an office setting where a nice wooden humidor would be more eye appealing. A coolerdor would be the answer. Some people think a coolerdor has to be a hugh igloo. While most people do eventually outgrow whatever storage they start with, its not nessesary to start big.... just more of a running joke that you should always buy bigger because most collections don't ever grow smaller. :) A small lunch box style cooler and a humidity device would work just fine and store approx the number of cigars you said you have. Should you find yourself increasing your inventory all you need to do is buy a bigger cooler. Coolerdors are not the eye catching pieces of furniture you see in nice wooden humi's but their functionality work and are quite cheap. You also don't have to use a cooler, a large tupperware container will work also. One thing about a tupperware container is that its air tight. If you do use one, be sure to open it every few days to allow an air exchage or your cigars will mold.

Save your money for a good digital hygrometer and test it. You can find how to salt test a hygrometer by doing a search for salt test.

to start off I think ill go with a coolidor. from the looks of it, its cheap and easy to do, so thats right up my alley :D

eventually though I would like a display humidor, so the links posted are a great help once I get to that point. Thankyou to everyone that has replied to my question, much appreciated.

JRW

ok, another question. if I had an old fridge, since its the same as a cooler, could I have a fridgador? would I have to have more humidity because of the size, or is this just some stupid idea that i've come up with to save myself more money, so I can buy more cigars ??? If it would work, I could modify the fridge, maybe put a window in it, or individual display spots. ok now im just getting carried away :p

Well... I put in an order from bargainhumidors.com for a seconds Gettysburg and a hygrometer, but wasn't sure about the reservoir. Do I need one, or can I let the humidor just do its thing? If I do need a reservoir, what are your guys recomendations.

For those that suggested a coolerdor, do not fret, for I have scavenged one from the basement and plan on using it once I require more space :D

JRW

Use the CLimmax beads for either application. The Humnidor does need a humidification system. use what came with it until you can get the beads. Post the measurements of the iglo and humidor and someone will give you the amount to put in.