• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question, Ideal RH% for Aging?

"Love may fail but courtesy will prevail." - Vonnegut, quoting his son.

While there is probably some truth to Temp/Aging relationship, I'm always suspicious of blanket statements regarding when Nature is the subject. Also, aging maduros ALSO ages it's filler and binder - not just the maduro wrapper. Some of people's favorite cigars to age are maduros.

So you wonder about the rest of it. Is it one man's opinion - probably.

Consistency is the key to properly aging cigars. Avoid temp and humidity fluctuations as much as you can. The actual temperature and humidity levels are really personal preferences based on your experiences as long as they are kept within certain ranges.

60°-70°F and 60%-70% humidity should be just fine. Whoever wrote the nonsense that was cut and pasted above about aging not occurring below 70°F is uninformed. It may happen faster at higher temps, but the process does not stop until you get well below 70°F.

Also, "aging" is an ambiguous term. To me, true aging means longer term (4 years or more) storage. Any time period shorter than that isn't really aging, it's just humidor time (which is almost never a bad thing). Some people say that true aging requires 10 years or more storage.

I keep everything at ~64% RH except for Fuentes which I keep at ~68% RH. All of my cigars are kept at a constant 64°F. I can guarantee that that temperature is allowing them to age just fine.

For long time aging keep 68-70 and temperature beetween 70-76F.Give them some fresh air from time to time and rotate them.Don't handle cigars with your hands too often since that wipes the oils from the wrapper.Keep them away from any strong smells or chemicals.Keep those in mind and you will have great cigars.Take care of them, they will take care of your taste buds.

I have heard that very occasional airing keeps the ammonia levels low. But it takes a good while and requires a pretty tight seal to build up significantly. Besides, you won't be able to resist looking at them more often than it's necessary to vent them. :D

Yeah, that cut and paste was just someone like me - not very knowledgeable but loves to pontificate. :p