• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question on Humidors

DanLAXX1

I just recently bought a humidor to hold my cigars. I'm relatively new to smoking so don't laugh at me too much. In the instructions it said to soak the hygrometer for atleast to hours and to adjust the needle to read 96%-98%. Fine. I did all that. What I have a question with is imediately after that where it says, "After you fill the humidifyer with solution, the humidor should stablize in about 24 hours to indicate 70%-72%." It says check it every so often and to "Refill with solution when necessary." What solution are they talking about? Is it to soak it or what? Anyhelp would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Dan, the solution the instructions are talking about is a 50/50 mix of Polyglycol(PG) and distilled water. Most tobacco shops sell bottles of this mix. The combination will keep the humidor at 70 per cent humidity. You do not need to soak the humidifer in the solution, just wet it down.Also since this is a new humidor, you might want to take a small bowl of distilled water, put it inside the humidor and close it for about 24 - 48 hours. Since it is new the cedar inside is dry and needs to absorb water. Once done put your cigars inside and light one up for a job well done.Rod has put together a nice section of various information on cigars, storage and other items in Cigars 101. Click on that and that should answer most of your questions. Also feel free to ask questions anytime. We have a good group here who will be glad to help. Welcome to CigarPass.

This is an understandable delima Dan. All of us unless we had a teacher went through the same process with our first humi. Your number one concer is to make sure you properly season the humi. If that is done right it will lovingly take care of your investement as long as you have it. If not once in use seasoning is not a fun process on a cigar the humidity changes can be deadly! :shocked: Distilled water will do the trick for now, 50/50 solution if you can find it is the best thing but I always have some distilled around. I would also recommend the salt test on your hygrometer. This will test the all out acuracy of it and allow for proper readings. Deffinately check out the cigars 101 on this board and as Shadow pointed out ask all you want we all love to talk about cigars! :biggrin:(Edited by DarrenR at 12:05 pm on Aug. 7, 2001)

my advice is to throw out the humidity gauge. they are notoriously inaccurate. You be the judge of how well your cigars are being stored. Check your stash periodically. If your cigars are crackling when you gently roll them between your fingers, add distilled water. If they taste like a truck tire, or burn unevenly, let the cigars dry out.I can't really criticize the pre-made PG "solutions" that I have tried, but they are much "thinner" than straight Propelyne Glycol and Distilled Water that I have mixed for myself, in 50/50 proportions. I trust the homemade stuff much more. I just gave my humidifiers their 6 month treatment yesterday, in fact.My advice is no better or worse than anyone elses, but I can say that I enjoy my cigars, and that is the main indicator that I am storing them correctly.