• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick and Easy Beer Bread

AngryFishH

Official Big Fish
As many of you know I love to cook. Recently I have been writing for a national cooking magazine and I am co-writing a new cooking show. I have been working on a beer bread recipe and wanted to share. We are thinking of using this in the TV show. It is also part of an e-book I wrote but couldn't find a good way to link it to the post so here is the short version.

This recipe takes about 5 minutes of work and has a fresh loaf of bread out of the oven in about 50 minutes with no rising time. No bread machine or special tools needed.

I am interested in your feedback. Let me know what you think. If you find a combination you like please post it for the others. I found that the best tasting bread so far was made with a Hobgoblin. Hooker Oktoberfest and Pigs Ear Brown Ale close seconds. I will post up some pics later today from a fresh batch. Enjoy!

Ale Quick Bread

This one recipe can make over 500 kinds of bread by just changing the beer or adding one or more “extras” to the recipe. Don’t worry, the alcohol cooks out making this recipe kid friendly. That is unless you don’t want the kids eating your delicious Ale bread. Then it’s adults only!

Ingredients:

3c. All Purpose Flour
1½ Tsp. Baking Powder
½ Tsp. Salt
1½ Tbsp. White Sugar
Extras (see Note 1)
12 oz. Beer (see Note 2)
6 Tbsp. Sweet Butter (melted)

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add the dry ingredients and any extras in your bowl. Mix thoroughly.
3. Pour in beer.
4. Mix together using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. You may need some additional water to get the dry ingredients to come together. Add water 1 Tbsp. at a time until you have a loose, wet dough. If you have created something that looks like pancake batter you added too much.
5. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5 bread pan (or whatever size you have) with just a little bit of the butter.
6. Transfer the bread mixture to the bread pan.
7. Pour half the butter over the top.
8. Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Pour the other half of the butter over the top.
10. Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve hot. Leftovers make great French toast, grilled cheese sandwiches or whatever you can dream up for the next day.

Note 1: Extras

Make the recipe once to see what it will taste like naked (without any extras). Just using the beer gives each loaf a rich aroma and taste very similar to yeast bread.

Now, let your imagination run wild! This bread will hold about ½ c. of your favorite extras. I recommend only one extra per loaf to compliment the taste of the beer but it’s your bread. Do what you want and experiment. Some examples of things I use are:
  • Any hard cheese (grated)
  • Any kind of ham, salami or pepperoni (diced)
  • 4 slices of bacon (cooked, drained and chopped)
  • Any fresh, pickled or candied hot pepper (chopped)
  • Any dried pepper (soaked in water until reconstituted, chopped)
  • Any plain, salted, or honey roasted tree nuts (chopped)
  • Any dried fruit (chopped)
  • Any shelled seeds
  • Leftovers from the night before

Note 2: Beer Selection

You will need a good dark beer for this. The typical mass produced beers and their light cousins make terrible bread choices. I like the darker Ale’s for my breads, experiment and see what you like. If you really want to pick a lighter beer stay away from the American style Lager and Pilsner and head to a Bock or a Dunkel. Each style, type and brand of beer will make different tasting bread.

If this section is confusing to you just go buy a seasonal micro brew and you’ll be fine.

Fish

This bread sound like it will go well with the Dutch Oven Beef Stew I'm doing this Sunday.
Thanks.
Tom

This recipe sounds great! I made a beer bread about three weeks ago similar to this. I tossed in about a cup of Vermont white cheddar. It was tremendous! A good beer bread recipe is great to have on hand when you don't have the time or patience to wait.

You can also substitute any sweetener for the sugar. Honey, Molasses and Cane Syrup all make great substitutes.

Fish

Oooh, going to have to try this with a homebrew coffee oatmeal stout and Belgian Dubbel!

By sweet butter, do you mean unsalted?

Yes, but you can really use any sweet butter. Some examples are Sweet Unsalted (as you pointed out and is the most common), Sweet Cream Butter (which is salted) or Irish Butter (the sweetest of all).

Fish

Sounds good! I think I might have to make some bread this weekend....

I have a 22oz bottle of Bear Republic Black Bear Stout that is just screaming to be made into bread. Then maybe have the rest with a good cigar waiting for the bread to get completed.

Knowing nothing about making bread, I assume the beer gives the yeast you need. Pretty great and easy idea. I've only dealt with yeast once or twice, but the freshness of it was a pain. Beer seems so much easier in general. Thanks for posting this up

Tried this awhile back and was excellent! :)