• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick seasoning question after reading how to guide

CigarJim

Banned
Hey there guys,

Just got my new humidor!

So Ive read the how to guide on seasoning a humidor on this site.

Have a question though, I was planning on using the heartfelt beads puck for humidification.

But during seasoning should I charge the puck and put it in with the shot glass of distilled? The guide says to charge your humidification device along with a shot glass as well....

I just thought that putting the beads in would be counterproductive to what Im trying to accomplish..

Should I just season my humidor with a shot glass of distilled and thats it?

Im a little lost because the guide said to charge your humidifier or your gel jar as well as using a shot glass

Thanks!

Jim

I'm not sure. I just wiped mine down with distilled with a sponge a couple times a day for a couple days then put my hydrometer and humidifier in and waited for it to stabilize. ;)

Jiggy, thats a good idea too man, but Im trying to follow the guide on this site...

I dunno what to do man.... probably just put a shot of distilled in there and be done with it.

I like to use a larger shallow bowl over the shot glass. I put the humidor someplace safe, where it won't get knocked, and have water splashed inside. That can cuase water stains. I put the stable, not east to knock over, food container in the humidor. I often place this in another larger shallow container...just incase of an accident
(Children). I think more surface area aids in the transfer. I close the lid, and leave the box alone for a minimum of 2 weeks. I usually write the date down somewhere, and typicallyput that in or on the box. I am not sure what would happen if I added the charged Humidifiers in the mix. What I do know is that this method always yields the most stable humidity for a very long time.

I like to use a larger shallow bowl over the shot glass. I put the humidor someplace safe, where it won't get knocked, and have water splashed inside. That can cuase water stains. I put the stable, not east to knock over, food container in the humidor. I often place this in another larger shallow container...just incase of an accident
(Children). I think more surface area aids in the transfer. I close the lid, and leave the box alone for a minimum of 2 weeks. I usually write the date down somewhere, and typicallyput that in or on the box. I am not sure what would happen if I added the charged Humidifiers in the mix. What I do know is that this method always yields the most stable humidity for a very long time.
This. Throw the puck in there too and let the whole thing equilibrate. Perfect.

Damn.... 2 weeks huh?

That sounds like a good idea man, but where am I gonna put these sticks I have ordered? I ordered 8 cigars and I was hoping I'd be all seasoned up by tuesday...

Oh well, I'll put em in the bag with a water pillow...

I have a spot I can put the humidor for seasoning purposes (cat knocks stuff down sometimes), but its a bit warm, probably like 80 degrees, does that matter for seasoning purposes? Can it get to 80 degrees if Im just seasoning it?

So you dont check on it or anything? Just put the water in the bowl and let it be for 2 weeks?

I have been seasoning humidors for about 30 years, so I know how much water to place into the container, to last the 2 weeks.
You could take the 8 cigars, and a humidipak versus the water pillow, and place into a food container. Ask you tobacconist if he has one from his Torano or Fuente boxes. If you have to buy one, they are only 3 or 4 bucks a piece, and work flawlessly.

I would say that for seasoning purposes, 80F isn't an issue. For cigar Storage, it can be argued that 80 is too hot.

Madmonk, I think I might just buy the seasoning packs from boveda, i'll need 3 packs, so it will cost me 12 bucks, but they guarantee my humidor is seasoned within 10-14 days, and I dont have to mess with dishes of distilled water and stuff like that.

The more dummyproof the better!

Do you have experience with the 84% seasoning packs that boveda sells? I've read nothing but good things about them...

I'll pick some up tomorrow if it will definitely season my humi in 10-14 days without me thinking about it :)

so put the 8 sticks in like a glad ware container with the small humidipak?

Thats a good idea!

Thanks for the help man

Jim

Definitely store your cigars somewhere cooler than 80 degrees though. But then again I'm paranoid when it comes to beetles.

Same as Dan, however I've always wiped mine down with a semi-damp sponge before closing it up. That not only gives the wood a good jump start, but cleans out the dust and such that is usually all over. Now when I say semi-damp, I mean very semi-damp.

I will say that I've never waited two weeks, probably three to five days is the most I've gone and have never had any problems.

Madmonk, I think I might just buy the seasoning packs from boveda, i'll need 3 packs, so it will cost me 12 bucks, but they guarantee my humidor is seasoned within 10-14 days, and I dont have to mess with dishes of distilled water and stuff like that.

The more dummyproof the better!

Do you have experience with the 84% seasoning packs that boveda sells? I've read nothing but good things about them...

I'll pick some up tomorrow if it will definitely season my humi in 10-14 days without me thinking about it :)

so put the 8 sticks in like a glad ware container with the small humidipak?

Thats a good idea!

Thanks for the help man

Jim

Yes, they work. Just make sure you buy enough.

DAMN! Went to order my puck and Heartfelt is closed till the 30th!

Anyone know where I can get the puck and not have to wait?

633735472547783860-lmao.jpg

Jesus, didnt mean to piss you guys off

wow

sorry, I just dont know where to get the pucks with heartfelt beads in them... I know how to search for humidification devices..

oh well, can the moderators please close this thread?

Thanks

Jesus, didnt mean to piss you guys off

wow

sorry, I just dont know where to get the pucks with heartfelt beads in them... I know how to search for humidification devices..

oh well, can the moderators please close this thread?

Thanks

Ok...now you've done it.

Watch out now. The mods are goona be checking all the threads now!!

BTW CJ....this is exactly what makes this thread so funny!!!

Back