• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick Tupperidor put together? questions

Beefcube

beeficus cubeicus
With the impending onslaught on bombs to come from the lottery I won, I put together a tupperidor. I was afraid of not having enough desktop room and a cooleridor was just a little big for me now. This bin slides easily into some shelving in a work room out of the way.

I used a Tupperware sheet cake bin flipped over.
Its 13"x9" and 3" deep, tight seal all the way around top.
I hot glued some cedar strips completely along bottom so no cigars would rest against plastic, made dividers too. Cedar was from liner pieces in Padron boxes I had. Still plenty of room for boxes if needed.
My cigar shop gave me the idea to glue a magnet to the back of the little round Creedo(?), and a small metal square to the tupperware top. This makes it easy to remove and a better hold than the velcro.

Dang I feel like Martha Stewart, but I wanted more space.

Alls left to do is get a hygrometer in it.
Digital or the round brass ones ?
Do you think one Creedo is enough? maybe two?
Should I use the readily available "florists foam" stuff I've noticed in other posts as an "oasis"?

Any comments will be appreciated... Thanks

Wow, you've already gone to way more effort then I ever do for an emergency tupidor.

I just use big ass wal-mart tuperware tubs with good seals. I use one of my extra digital hygrometers placed where I can read it through the clear plastic. (I prefer digitals personally but any you know to be accurate will work fine.) I hear you on the plastic touching my sticks, but I just place the ones in cello on the bottom or sides and it keeps the naked ones from touching the plastic. (Probably not important but makes me feel better so I do it.) If you don't have enough in cello just make your own with ciggar baggies that have the seals cut off. I personally like climmax beads so that what I use for humidification. I have one of their travel stick type things I use and if it's not enough, (it usually is though being how it an air tight container) then I just add more beads in some sort of container that fits in well.

This is just emergency storage and isn't for long term or anything so don't stress over it to much. :thumbs:

Oh...... I almost forgot, just keep a close eye on it for a while and make sure your humidity doesn't run wild in the air tight enviorment. Things that usually work well for you may end up being too much with no air flow at all. They are usually doing there thing in a humidor with a little tiny amount of air flow. Thats why I like the hygro through the clear plastic so that I don't have to open it all the time to check on the humidity. Don't just forget about it, keep an eye on it. Also open it at least once a week just like with the coolidors to let in a little fresh air once in a while.

I'm thinking a large Tupperidor may be in my future. I've topped my 150, 50, and 10 count desktops and need more power Capt'n!

Just seems that a big Tupperidor is a little more, uh, visually appealing than a coolidor, IMHO.

UPDATE:
The wood is soaking up all the moisture so I took it out. A couple cigars looked like they got dry from being in there. All the wood out and now they are starting to get softer and a slight oil or dampness to them. Smells great when you open it.
Sound like its doing ok ?

QUICK UPDATE ! !
73% and holding + - 2 or 3 after a freshen-up. About 35 cigars in there now.
Seems it takes a lil' longer to bring back dry cigars. Had a few in there for a couple weeks and they just feel hard and dry,

stored wrong before I got them ? ? ? what ya think ?
should the humidifer be in the exact middle ?