• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas

Lemon

After having smoked the Quintero Brevas, which was quite strong, I let my tongue rest a while. I drank a glass of water. I wasn't tired yet, so I thought I'd smoke another cigar. I opened my cigar caddy and found the Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas. This smaller cigar was perfect as a kicker to the Brevas, hoping the aftertaste of the Quintero wouldn't ruin the experience. I continue watching NYPD Blue while lighting up my second cigar.

I cut it and check the pre-light draw. It's great. This one looks better on the outside than the Quintero Brevas, which tend to be quite ugly and rarely really round at the foot. After a couple puffs I could tell this one also had a great draw and thick smoke. I was a bit surprised, since both cigars of the evening were cheap. This doesn't mean I expect something bad, it's just that after having a couple tight ones from a box I don't want to be disappointed due to high expectations.

RGPanetelas1.JPG

The burn is nice and even. The Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas usually has a tightish draw, although that might just be the one's I have. Letting them rest for a while longer will probably help. The flavors are quite subtle. I detect some woody flavors, mild but very pleasant. I think this is the main flavor, and accounts for the Panetelas being of mild/medium strength. I can also taste some nuts. I guess that's about it for flavors. Together they make a great smoke though. The cigar keeps burning very evenly, although the ash isn't that pretty. Then again, from my limited experience I would say all Cubans tend to have this greyish ash that doesn't hold on as long as non-Cubans. I haven't had a well-aged one, they might have whiter, "better" ash (if there's any sense in Min Ron Nee's analysis, but what does he know, right? :whistling:). I decide to try to smoke it the nub, it deserves it. As I'm nearing the end, the cigar gets a bit soft and hot. For about $1.50, it's not worth burning your fingers! I let it die out in the ashtray.

RGPanetelas2.JPG

Well, like the Quintero Brevas, I have had several of the Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas before and have liked them from the beginning. Great smaller cigars, although you can make them last for a while (I smoked mine for almost an hour). Great bang for the buck. If you haven't tried these yet, do it. For this price, you can't lose.

-John

Another tasty and accessible review, thank you! :thumbs:

Personally, I just don't get much out of the Rafael Gonzalez. I've tried the PC, CE and Lonsdales and none of them light my fire, even with 4-5 years on them. Although I pick up the classic flavors, I just don't think this profile is for me. Alas, same with the Sancho Panza.

Wilkey

Back