• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Raising your own tobacco.

Rod, Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Bill, That corn crib will make an excellent curing barn.

Chris, I plant mine in rows 40 inches apart ( I use a tractor and cultivator to control weeds), and 24 inches between plants in the row.

So since I'm doing it by hand, is rows 24 inches apart good and plants
24 inches apart? Or should I leave more room between rows to walk?

Edit: I know when you have different kind of plants your supposed to plant them in different planters for germination. Now when I transplant them outside can they be next to each other or should I put their rows further apart... or...???

Chris,
You can plant them as close as 24 inch rows, however that would be to close because you would not be able to get between them after they get over waist high. I'd keep them in 36 inch rows minimum. you can let the different varieties grow next to each other, but you would have to top the plants as soon as they start to bloom. This would keep them from cross pollinating. If you wanted to keep some of the seeds from the blooms you would have to cover them in a cheese cloth or similar material to avoid cross pollination.

Another question... or two... lol sorry about the bombardment...

1. As far as curing goes. I'm going to be building a new garage later this summer, but not in time to cure the tobacco. I'm not going to be able to put up a temporary shed either. Would I be able to build a room in my basement and have an exhaust fan to pump air from outside into the room? How much room would I need to cure approx. 50 or so plants?

2. How long would I keep the flowers in the cheese cloth? When would I be able to just put them in a plastic bag... or WILL I be able to put them in a bag?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. If you can't tell yet I'm constantly thinking. lol

Chris,
I believe that you could cure it in your basement as long as the humidity is not to high, and you maintain some air circulation. The size of the room would depend on how you harvested it. Are you going to prime it or cut the whole stalk. You could also cure it in your attic. If you have adequate air movement the tobacco can be placed pretty close together. The only concern I have with the basement is does it get damp, if so you might have a battle on your hands. Let me think on this awhile.

Now the cheese cloth would have to stay on until the flowers die. Then you can remove it, but save it for later. The little bulb that the blossom is attached to is the seed pod. After these become full and firm you can harvest the seed pods. Break the whole bunch off at the stalk, and wrap them back up in the cheese cloth. Hang them up to dry, It will take several weeks. then you can open the pods and your seeds will fall out, several thousand in each pod. You won't be able to put them in plastic as they will rot.

Here are the seed pods after harvest.
0831081656.jpg

Here they are after hanging to dry.
0831081739.jpg

Here in Missouri our humidity is high in the summer so I think it would be a problem anyway. What can I do to lower the humidity? Are there dehumidifiers?

EDIT: I just did a quick search this morning. Do you think something like this would work to keep the humidity down in the room? Or would the device have some effect on the tobacco.

I think a dehumidifier would work pretty well, and should allow you to cure it in your basement. You could make walls or partitions out of plastic or tarps.

I was thinking of making an actual room and set up and exhaust fan to pull air in from outside. Then have the dehumidifier in there too.

I was thinking of making an actual room and set up and exhaust fan to pull air in from outside. Then have the dehumidifier in there too.

That would work, plus you could use it as a smoking room in the off season.

Ha... I got lucky with that one. My wife likes the way most cigars smell... so I smoke in the house when the weather isn't nice.

Wow...very cool thread. Yet another reason this place is so nifty. Thanks for the hard work and great topic, and good luck!

*makes a note to try it out*

Trey

Yet another question... I'm moving into a new house this weekend. What is the best way for me to prepare where I am going to be growing the tobacco. IE: Grass removal, any fertilizer,...

Chris,

If you have access to a roto tiller, just work the ground until nice and loose. About 4-5 inches deep. If not you can take a shovel and turn the sod under, then using a hoe chop it up nice and loose. You can use any general purpose fertilizer that is suitable for a garden. Available at most home and garden centers. Follow the directions on the package for the area you are planting. If you use to much it could burn the plants, they could become stunted, or even die.

MrMaduro, I received my seeds this past week, thank you very much! I am going to pick up some large planters from home depot, and was wondering if standard potting soil would be ok to use? Obviously this would be for later when the plants are bigger, but I'd like to start picking up my supplies. Thanks!!

Very cool thread. I don't have any sort of land for pulling something like this off but it will be cool to see the outcome for those who do.

Chris,

If you have access to a roto tiller, just work the ground until nice and loose. About 4-5 inches deep. If not you can take a shovel and turn the sod under, then using a hoe chop it up nice and loose. You can use any general purpose fertilizer that is suitable for a garden. Available at most home and garden centers. Follow the directions on the package for the area you are planting. If you use to much it could burn the plants, they could become stunted, or even die.

I have a tractor with an 8 foot tiller so I am set. I just put my seeds in a planter I bought from wally world. How long does it take for them to sprout?