• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rattray's birthmark

Dementis Vir

Hi all, I have recently bought a Rattray's Highland. During the course of breaking it in, I have noticed that there is a dark spot that seems to be getting darker. I haven't overheated it to the point I couldn't hold the bowl, and I can't seem to buff it out. I have done quite a few browser searches, but can't find any information on what this is. Do any of you know what this is?image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hi all, I have recently bought a Rattray's Highland. During the course of breaking it in, I have noticed that there is a dark spot that seems to be getting darker. I haven't overheated it to the point I couldn't hold the bowl, and I can't seem to buff it out. I have done quite a few browser searches, but can't find any information on what this is. Do any of you know what this is?View attachment 38500View attachment 38501
Haven’t seen that before, but it adds a very unique character to the pipe. I personally wouldn’t try to remove it 😎

Wonder if there is the tiniest of pinholes in the shank and the oils and tars are seeping through?

Wonder if there is the tiniest of pinholes in the shank and the oils and tars are seeping through?
Thats what I was wondering, there is a smaller spot starting to form on the underside. When I look closely, it almost looks like it is part of the grain.

Haven’t seen that before, but it adds a very unique character to the pipe. I personally wouldn’t try to remove it 😎
At this point, I am inclined to agree with you on that, I just hope it doesn't take over the whole pipe.