• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Re-Seasoning Humidor

modo22

So I am trying to re-season my humi after a long and warm summer. It is a 150ct brought from Cuban crafters… I have followed the instructions on CP as far as seasoning goes and as well as re-seasoning. After my first attempt I could not hold 55%RH. So I was out shopping and grabbed a Bovida seasoning packet…left it shut for 14 days and now with about 6oz of %65 beads, all I can seem to get to is 62-64RH. My digital hygros are calibrated and have been working perfect and all reading the same in my wine-a-dor. With my hygros reading 62% over the last few days (not to mention when I open my humi the RH goes down quick!) should I re-season again? At what point if any should I consider that it may have been too dried out? Anyone else have any suggestions or same stories. My searches specific to re-seasoning issues have not brought up much…but again, I always seem to be proven wrong on that front :)

Thanks,

I don't think one Boveda seasoning packet would be enough for a 150 count humidor. Take a shallow bowl of distilled water, and let it sit a week or two.

As far as the beads go, I do not know what the tolerance is on them. A 5% tolerance could very result in a 62-63 humidity?

Would you suggest letting it sit with just the bowl of distilled water? Or also have the beads in there as well? Thanks for the fast reply.

Would you suggest letting it sit with just the bowl of distilled water? Or also have the beads in there as well? Thanks for the fast reply.

I really don't know about leaving the beads in there, I would not. But, I always use a shallow bowl, more surface area.

Do not open the humidor while it is seasoning.

When you open the box, the hygrometer will drop, and drop like a rock if your heat is running.

That doesnt mean the humidor went down THAT low. What ever it reads when you first open the lid is the number to pay

attention to.

Check it after a week if your target is 65.

Like Dan said, take the beads out while you're seasoning. The job of the beads is to absorb moisture when RH goes over 65%, and the job of the seasoning pack is to get RH up around 75%. With the two of them in there, they're fighting each other.

As far as the number dropping rapidly when you open it, it's that time of the year. With the heat going on and the dry air in general, you'll start seeing this asked about more often. All you can really do is not open it unnecessarily, and ride it out.

tomthirtysix's post is on the mark.

It'd also be intereesting to know what the RH is in your house. When the heat is on, I've seen homes with RH in the 40-50% range so imagine what happens in that little box every time the lid opens - you drop to around 40-50%.

When I ran a desktop (with beads) in the winter I'd take the little sponge humidifiers that came with the humi, moisten them with distilled water, and put 'em in. And I'd be happy to maintain 62-64% when it was really dry.

Coolers seal better, and don't get opened as much, so they typically fare much better over the winter. My cabinet now has "active" humidification so it holds things right at 65% no matter what's going on, ambient RH wise.

Sounds like you're doing everything well, and the RH is very close. I'd have a great smoke, and stop worrying.......
thumbs-up.gif

Cheers - B.B.S.

Try wiping the humidor down. It the wood is dry, it will soak up alot of water. And yes, re-season.

Try wiping the humidor down. It the wood is dry, it will soak up alot of water. And yes, re-season.
Some guys have warped their humidors doing this, some so badly they would never seal again. YMMV but there are risks to this and most humi dealers advise against it.

Seasoning takes time; you have to permiate the wood grain fully with water and there really isn't a good way to hurry that process.....

all I can seem to get to is 62-64RH.

Good enough... Time to put cigars in it. They will help to stabilize the humidity. Don't worry about a couple of degrees off one way or the other. Fill it with sticks and don't open it for 48 hours.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will do all of the above, especially the part about smoking them!

Update wise, holding steady up top at 64 and lower end at 61....thinking some sticks will help balance.

If you have Cubans, put them in the 61% area. They typically are rolled a little tighter so at 65% they might draw a little stiff anyway. :thumbs:

In the winter, with the dry, cold air, I often put
a small cap full of water inside my humi. This helps
to keep the humidity in the 63%-68% range. I usually
use a cap from a 2 liter soda pop bottle, and well
water(no chlorine/no fluorine added). Monitor closely.

In the summer the ambient humidity is high enough that
I don't need any assist. If it rains for several days,
the rh could get to 71%, but then I dry out my beads and
the humi rh% drops nicely. Again, monitor closely.

Chemyst :cool:

In the winter, with the dry, cold air, I often put
a small cap full of water inside my humi. This helps
to keep the humidity in the 63%-68% range. I usually
use a cap from a 2 liter soda pop bottle, and well
water(no chlorine/no fluorine added). Monitor closely.

In the summer the ambient humidity is high enough that
I don't need any assist. If it rains for several days,
the rh could get to 71%, but then I dry out my beads and
the humi rh% drops nicely. Again, monitor closely.

Chemyst :cool:

In the winter I add 1 water pillow to my small boxes 2 to my large boxes and it works like a charm. If you are anywhere near 65% in december you have nothing to worry about.