• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recent events...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know where you're coming from, Tony. Establishing mods is almost an admission of the defeat of the self moderated board. I'm not convinced thats a bad thing, though. Sometimes, I just want to scream "don't make me stop this car!." Some here enjoy positions of leadership, but only by respect and influence. Newbs do stupid shit that require some direction. So do (did) our kids.

On the other hand, there has to be free and open debate. Sometimes that involves screaming and shouldn't be interfered with.

I am on board with Bruce and Tony. I believe that Mods would be the end, and aren't needed. What IS needed, and I think John said it, was to punish the violators. Rules are meant to be enforced, and I haven't seen that consistently done. If we got Moderators, I don't know, too few people with too much power. I agree with a good handful of posts in here, especially Boar's and John's, but I just don't like the idea of that few people with that much power, and secret forums and all that. Enforce the rules (and I mean BBS' post of serious rule violations) and send a message, and see what happens. Stop pussyfooting and do it. I've done shit that's broken rules as well, and have been given warnings, and they helped me realize some things I was doing. It's a good thing, and if there are some that don't like getting a hand-slap, then why come here?

That's just my two cents from a newbie, so...for what it's worth. I just liked what some of the bigger dogs Tony and Bwuthie had to say.

I agree with most everything you stated; the point where I diverge is that I think you may be missing the fact that Rod just may not have the time to enforce the rules as they stand. Administering a web board takes more time than you might imagine, when you consider the constant supervision and back-end enhancements he's working on.

So while I concur that enforcing the rules is a must, I think he may need assistance in doing this in order to not become burnt out. Clearly I'm speaking for Rod here, and I may be utterly mistaken, but it seems to me that he has a number of other things on his plate, and could use the assistance. I say this because I know the lack of moderation is something he believes in, and wouldn't be considering it unless he really did think it was for the best.

I don't think much of anything would change as far as the board goes; the policies would be set by Rod, he'd just have a bunch of mini-me's running around helping him realize the vision he's laid out for the board.

That said, I don't really care either way. I'm unlikely to be posting much of anything that would ever get moderated, and I have no interest/time to put in as a moderator. I just would rather not see Rod can frazzled having to deal with this crap on an ongoing basis, if there are other things that demand his attention or he's feeling a bit at wit's end.

EDIT to add: Clearly what should not happen is a single power-trip hungry/unbalanced individual should not be made a moderator (been there, done that). Several level-headed people who are able to detach their personal feelings/opinions from their actions should be selected, and they should be given their marching orders from Rod, and be given a forum in which to discuss matters privately. Having several people assist in moderation defrays the flack they will receive, and also allows for checks and balances so that they can keep each other in line as well. Balance.

Rod, I'd love to help out but I just don't have time to be a moderator these days.... :sign:

Geez Rod, I wish you hadn't done that. I was making a point not asking for a penalty. Now the guy is gonna hate me even more. So, new sheriff's in town... who's they gonna be? Tony is a likely sacrificial lamb, AVB maybe (but he drinks you know).

NA

Did you miss that thread peddler?
No I didn't clemmons...that's why I wrote what I wrote.
So your saying voehrc should get a vacation for an unprovoked attack... see, your post was so "creative" I missed that part.

NA

Neal,

verhoevc's account has been suspended for 3 days for violating rule #3 - http://www.cigarpass.com/community/forum-rules/

This issue is now a moot point. Baiting, name calling, or any other infraction of our rules will result in additional suspension/ban to either offending party.

The moderation plan is in development, and once I come up with the ground rules the team will be implemented. Again, the purpose of the team is to help with the day to day activities I simply do not have time to do anymore. It goes far beyond just managing personality conflicts. Open communication will be expected among the entire team, and content will not be deleted. Conflicts should be played out, however when name calling or unnecessary abuse occurs, the offending members will be dealt with. Moderators will have permission to accomplish certain tasks (such as moving threads to the proper forum, moving cigar passes accordingly, approving new members, running logs/reports, restarting services, etc). I will be the only person who has full admin rights. Those with power struggles will be removed from the team. No need to delve into the details any deeper. The community will run as business as usual, except for the fact that our rules will be more strictly enforced. More info to follow accordingly...

I think this is a good move, Rod. I've been reading most of the nonsense going on and I think these derailed threads have been a piss poor representation of CP and the community it promotes. Plain and simple. No one should have to babysit, and as it's been said, the hope is this team of mods will rarely have to step into anything.

Jeff

You're an acquired taste, Neal. verhowatzit is in his early 20's and young guys tend to deal with absolutes.

Geez Rod, I wish you hadn't done that. I was making a point not asking for a penalty. Now the guy is gonna hate me even more. So, new sheriff's in town... who's they gonna be? Tony is a likely sacrificial lamb, AVB maybe (but he drinks you know).

NA

NA

Maybe but he never yells at me! :sign:

Though it would require your vigilence Rod, transgressions/transgressors should be temporarily banned with repeat offenders permanently banned. Maybe a "three strikes...you're out" rule.
I would think that anybody that cares to stick around would shape up after a temporary ban. The ones that don't care to would (hopefully) just vanish.
Thanks for your efforts.

I think this is a good move, Rod. I've been reading most of the nonsense going on and I think these derailed threads have been a piss poor representation of CP and the community it promotes. Plain and simple. No one should have to babysit, and as it's been said, the hope is this team of mods will rarely have to step into anything.

Jeff

Doom and gloom - doom and gloom... :rolleyes:

The place has been as successful as it's been BECAUSE it is what it is. And you want to mess with success??? :sign:

Neal thanks for throwing me under the bus ;) I can verify the drinking part by AVB :0

I will keep this right to the point: snide comments serve no purpose; the rules are currently being ignored by both new and old members and must be enforced; self appointed moderators serve little positive effect while official moderators will enforce the rules equally and fairly; unless you plan on breaking the rules there shouldn't be any issue; and finally, I don't have time to read every thread. I wish we were a small site hosted on a shared server somewhere, but we're not. Running the backend is time consuming enough. You ask why I'm pussy footing around? Simple, my time is limited when it comes to trying to untangle the drama and see who really is at fault.

Moderators are used for one simple reason: TO ENFORCE OUR RULES, period. They will not delete content nor will they edit/censor your posts. They won't have access to do this.

Edit to add: We also don't plan on implementing any BS add-on's such as member ratings, rewards for bombing people, etc... You guys need to stop associating enforcement of our rules with what some of the other forums do. Our core values will not change.

I will keep this right to the point: snide comments serve no purpose; the rules are currently being ignored by both new and old members and must be enforced; self appointed moderators serve little positive effect while official moderators will enforce the rules equally and fairly; unless you plan on breaking the rules there shouldn't be any issue; and finally, I don't have time to read every thread. I wish we were a small site hosted on a shared server somewhere, but we're not. Running the backend is time consuming enough. You ask why I'm pussy footing around? Simple, my time is limited when it comes to trying to untangle the drama and see who really is at fault.

Moderators are used for one simple reason: TO ENFORCE OUR RULES, period. They will not delete content nor will they edit/censor your posts. They won't have access to do this.

Edit to add: We also don't plan on implementing any BS add-on's such as member ratings, rewards for bombing people, etc... You guys need to stop associating enforcement of our rules with what some of the other forums do. Our core values will not change.
No problems with the changes from me. As long as the playing field is level I'm good with it. Does this mean I have to read the rules or can I be a normal, regular, human being and not run afoul of the, um, hey, "moderator" is such a common handle... can we make up a new one to hang on the chosen.. say... "The Mod Squad", or has that been used?

WAIT... "Killer Angels"... naw that's too cool for a guy with a pocket protector. Never mind.

NA

As long as the moderators "moderate" across the board and don't act like Davey, I don't think there will be a problem.

Will there be an impeachment process, if the power does go to someones head?

As long as the moderators "moderate" across the board and don't act like Davey, I don't think there will be a problem.

Rod says, "you're fired"?

Rod says, "you're fired"?

LOL.

Sorry, Rod combs his hair back, points his finger and says, "you're fired"

trump-youre-fired.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.