• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

recent pepin purchases

Fyodor

First off hello to those of you who remember me. And in case you were wondering I am still alive.

And for those who know me you might remember my fondness for the Pepin cigars. I hadn't smoked too many in the last year however as I have been mostly smoking my favorite Cubans pretty much exclusively along with a Padron 1926 Maduro #6 here and there. So I picked up a few Pepins recently and here are some thoughts about that.

El Centurion Gladiadores - This cigar is very pricey as you know but I wasn't going to let that bother me considering it's supposed to be something special by Pepin. I didn't really find it to be exactly that however. It was actually a pretty boring cigar. I think its too young, it reminded me of a Cuban in the "sick period". Some kinda grassy sour notes to it. Kinda strange from a non Cuban cigar. When that wears off with age it may have some pleasing subtleties to it but it will be a bit on the mild medium side. Which is also strange for a Nicaraguan cigar. Although I have nothing against milder cigars.

I also picked up a Cabaiguan limited edition something or other. It's got a silver background behind the usual label. I haven't smoked it yet but I'm looking forward to it as I've always enjoyed all the Cabaiguans I've had. What is this cigar called? I'm willing to bet you guys know.

I also tried the red label Havana VI Tatuaje churchill for the first time and thought it was a good cigar for the money. A bit one dimensional but a lot of rich full bodied Nicaraguan flavor.

And I bought three brown label Tatuaje's I liked a lot in the past. I haven't smoked these yet either. Two Cojonu 2003's and an A. Nether of these look as they did in the past. They both used to have very oily, dark and splotchy wrappers. The new Cojonu's have an even, dark almost maduro wrapper and the A has a light almost Connecticut shade color wrapper. When did that happen? I'm actually kind of excited about the A, I like lighter colored wrappers and I imagine it might be more Cuban-esque. It's laying in my humidor next to my Magnum 46's and it has pretty much the same color as them.

So any comments that might inform me of these cigar's progression in the last year or more would be very educational. However if you could refrain from the usual comments of "there is no such thing as Cuban-esque or Nicaraguan-esque" I would appreciate it since it seems completely absurd to me and goes against all experience I've ever had with cigars and is not what I mean to discuss. Thanks in advance. :thumbs:

-mark

I also picked up a Cabaiguan limited edition something or other. It's got a silver background behind the usual label. I haven't smoked it yet but I'm looking forward to it as I've always enjoyed all the Cabaiguans I've had. What is this cigar called? I'm willing to bet you guys know.

Cabaiguan El Guapo ;)

If you enjoy Pepin smokes like I think you do, give the 601 green label (la punta) figurado a try. You won't be disappointed!

mac

Cabaiguan El Guapo ;)

If you enjoy Pepin smokes like I think you do, give the 601 green label (la punta) figurado a try. You won't be disappointed!

mac

Sounds and looks very good!

Dan

Hey Mark,

Nice to see you posting and I certainly remember your love of all things Pepin!

My initial opinion of the El Centurion is not far off from yours. Have you tried the San Cristobal yet? That's a nice looking cigar but pretty harsh in my first two smoking experiences with them fairly new. Perhaps time holds promise for these.

Wilkey

Tis indeed! PM sent...

mac

Cabaiguan El Guapo ;)

mac

Sounds and looks very good!

Dan

Thanks Mr. Mac for identifying the Cabaiguan for me. I appreciate it. And Thank you as well Lightninrod for the awesome link. I just discovered that site (keepers of the Flame) the other day and I'm enjoying it very much.

And it's nice to hear from you again Wilkey. I've been lurking around here the last couple days and was happy to see you are still pumping out the useful threads and comments. I haven't tried the San Cristobal yet but I'm sure I'll get around to it. I love Pepin and Ashton cigars but I don't have any big expectations for this cigar based on what I've heard.

Here is a Quote of a Quote by Pepin on the link Lightninrod gave that I found really interesting. Judging by my experience I certainly couldn't argue with him;

In an interview Pepin was asked what tobaccos he would use to make his finest cigar. Would it be all Cuban? All Nicaraguan? He replied, “The wrapper would be Cuban. The binder would come from Nicaragua, as would two leaves of ligero filler. The seco and viso filler would come from Cuba. That cigar,” he says with confidence, talking about his dream smoke, “would score perfectly in anyone’s rating system.”

We can only hope that one day cooler heads will prevail in government and this cigar will be made.

I am just getting my feet wet in the world of Pepin Cigars. While I have smoked a few of them, I have in most cases only tried one of the different lines of his that I have tried.

Right now, I have a 601 Blue, Red, and a JFR sitting in the humi waiting to be fired up.
I really enjoyed the San Cris, but think that there is more hiding in there than I got from the one I smoked. It was especially good after a strong purge.

I have not had a Tat that I have not liked, and look forward to they few that I have resting, but that will be in 6 or so months. Until then, I just keep my eyes open for any DPG/Tat smokes that I can come across because My local does not carry them.

Just my 2 cents
Carry on

Tim

I'm telling you guys that the Gladiadores are a whole different cigar from the other two vitolas. The size of it just keeps it from developing into what the other 2 do. Give the El Centurions another try in one of the smaller vitolas. You will be glad you did.

I'm telling you guys that the Gladiadores are a whole different cigar from the other two vitolas. The size of it just keeps it from developing into what the other 2 do. Give the El Centurions another try in one of the smaller vitolas. You will be glad you did.

Hmm... interesting. Well I guess I'll take your advice and give it another try but at that price if I don't like the next one I'm done. It's just my luck that I would pick the bad one. I think if I buy another I'm gonna let it age for a while. Thanks for the comments!

-mark

Lucky7 here from Keepers of the Flame. Glad to talk "Pepin" with anyone. IMO, he is the man!

I have to chime in here and agree with altercall with regard to the El Centurion. I reviewed the Emperadores back in Sep '07 and it is a cherished Pepin for me. Had one last weekend and it is getting better with age. I've smoked both Guerreros (robusto) and Gladiadores (toro) but prefer the little belicoso the best. My experience with the toro was the same as yours.

The suggestion of an EO 601 Habano Oscuro is also spot on. I like the larger rings. La Fuerza (5.5" x 54) and Trabuco (6.1" x 58). Blend seems a little sweeter in the bigger rings.

Don't know if you have ever had an illusione? If you like Pepins and Nics this smoke is not to be missed. I reviewed the cg4 vitola back in Sep '07 as well. Really "Pepinesque!"

Nice to meet ya!

A pleasure to meet you Lucky7. As I said above I just discovered Keepers of the Flame and have been really enjoying the site, it's very informative. Keep up the good work. I'm going to take the advice and try the Emperadores. I'll also give the EO 601 Habano Oscuro a try as well. I've seen them at the local shop but hadn't heard much about them until recently.

It's mind blowing how many cigars Pepin makes. It seems like every cigar shop around here (Chicago) has a house blend by him. I get excited when I think about what the future may hold.
So far my favorite has been the Tatuaje RC184. I haven't had one of those in while.

:thumbs:

-mark

Thank you for that video Lucky7. Amazing what effort and work goes into the making of our beloved 'sticks'!

Dan

Thank you for that video Lucky7. Amazing what effort and work goes into the making of our beloved 'sticks'!
Dan

I love to watch cigars rolled as well. A real art form. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot myself. :laugh:

I also was a bit letdown by the El Centurian but the 601 Green Label Corona will knock your socks off! The La Punta is good but the Corona is WAY better. ;)

I recently ordered the Pepin Lancero sampler and it should be here tomorrow. Anyone try the El Centurion Lancero yet? I'm looking forward to trying the El Centurion in this size. I still haven't got around to trying the 601 but it will definitely be my next purchase at my local shop.

-mark

I recently ordered the Pepin Lancero sampler and it should be here tomorrow. Anyone try the El Centurion Lancero yet? I'm looking forward to trying the El Centurion in this size. I still haven't got around to trying the 601 but it will definitely be my next purchase at my local shop.

I haven't tried the Lancero and would be much obliged if you would post your thoughts.

So any comments that might inform me of these cigar's progression in the last year or more would be very educational. However if you could refrain from the usual comments of "there is no such thing as Cuban-esque or Nicaraguan-esque" I would appreciate it since it seems completely absurd to me and goes against all experience I've ever had with cigars and is not what I mean to discuss.

That's what they all say... :)