• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommend me a pipe lighter...

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Don't want to spend the world, but would like a good refillable lighter that won't have me scaring my pipe's rim or burning my fingers.

Shawn

If you smoke the pipe indoors, Corona Old Boy is hard to beat. You can get them for around $80 or so. If you want to spend much less, and need wind resistance, the Zippo with a pipe insert is tough to beat. The new fuel formula has virtually eliminated the odor problem.

The pipe insert is the huge round hole right Alan? I smoke only outdoors so that might be the way to go.

The pipe insert is the huge round hole right Alan? I smoke only outdoors so that might be the way to go.

Yes, it is. If you already have a Zippo, you can send it to them for an overhaul and a new insert for just the cost of shipping. That may be more than a new one being that you are in Germany, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I have an Old Boy but mostly smoke outdoors and my Zippo with pipe insert and new fuel definitely gets a lot more use than the Old Boy.

I must be a heathen, I use a bic.

Heathen! Philistine! To the docks with you! :sign:

I buy BICs when I find them uber cheap and take the flints out of them to use in my Zippos. They last forever. The problem I have with them is that they burn the everliving shasta out of my thumb when I use them for the pipe.

I buy BICs when I find them uber cheap and take the flints out of them to use in my Zippos. They last forever. The problem I have with them is that they burn the everliving shasta out of my thumb when I use them for the pipe.

Have your son light your pipe for you, problem solved!

lol yeah bics for me as well... thats why I want something better :sign:

Have your son light your pipe for you, problem solved!

He pours my drink for me. That way I always get a pretty generous pour. Besides, he's a little clumsy. He'd probably light my beard on fire.

I also use a bic I just use it upside down so my thumb is under the flame. So you want us all to save our dead bics and send them to you for flints.
Heathen! Philistine! To the docks with you! :sign: I buy BICs when I find them uber cheap and take the flints out of them to use in my Zippos. They last forever. The problem I have with them is that they burn the everliving shasta out of my thumb when I use them for the pipe.

I also use a bic I just use it upside down so my thumb is under the flame. So you want us all to save our dead bics and send them to you for flints.

I appreciate the thought, but that's not necessary. I can just see the look on TheWife©'s face when I get a box full of dead BICs. :laugh:

Ok, so how noob is it of me to use a bic and turn the pipe upside down so I don't burn my thumb? :blush: I can't do this when I smoke a flake as I rub them out and don't pack it too tight, but with I smoke a ribbon or something that I can pack rather tightly, I turn the pipe upside down.

Ok, so how noob is it of me to use a bic and turn the pipe upside down so I don't burn my thumb? :blush: I can't do this when I smoke a flake as I rub them out and don't pack it too tight, but with I smoke a ribbon or something that I can pack rather tightly, I turn the pipe upside down.

I have never heard of that one. If it works for you, I guess it works for you. :laugh: I do know some smoke their pipes upside down in the rain. It used to be the norm, but I don't see too many do it that haven't been smoking for many years.

I'll second (or third) the Zippo. I only smoke outside or in my car and the Zippo works like a charm. I also have one of the Xikar Pipeline lighters and it works well on the patio when there is no wind, but the Zippo is tops for all around use.

I use one of THESE dual flame lighters as my "always in my pocket" lighter. The soft flame part works well for pipes and the torch is a strong single flame for cigars.

I also have a couple of $10 no-name soft flame pipe lighters with built in pipe tools that I use at home.

- Tim

Linky ------> JetLine Multipurpose Lighter

I bought this lighter about a month ago and works pretty well. It's not great for outside, if there's a good breeze it won't light, but once the wind dies down, I get a good flame.

The flame adjuster on the bottom is a little hard, I have to use needle nose pliers to turn it and, then it largely depends on how much fuel is in it as to how big the flame will be. :)

I'll most likely break down and buy a zippo sooner or later.

If you smoke the pipe indoors, Corona Old Boy is hard to beat. You can get them for around $80 or so. If you want to spend much less, and need wind resistance, the Zippo with a pipe insert is tough to beat. The new fuel formula has virtually eliminated the odor problem.

How long has the new fuel been out? Is the can marked differently than the old one? This would be great news. I love my Zippo pipe lighter but the off taste got to me.

Thanks,

Jim

How long has the new fuel been out? Is the can marked differently than the old one? This would be great news. I love my Zippo pipe lighter but the off taste got to me.

Thanks,

Jim

I am not sure what the old can looks like, but the new one is black with a red lid. Under the Zippo logo on the front it says...

Premium
lighter fluid
clean burning
improved ignition
Low Odor

This is what I use and it doesn't change the flavor of my tobacco at all.
B