• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommendations for a beginner

dbzfrk15146

First of all, hey! I'm curious as to which cigars you folks would recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for a couple different suggestions. I want at-least two regular cigars, and three or four flavored (mango, coffee, chocolate, and whatever else you guys want to suggest). I know a lot of you guys like to stay away from flavors but I'd still like some recommendations.

First of all, hey! I'm curious as to which cigars you folks would recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for a couple different suggestions. I want at-least two regular cigars, and three or four flavored (mango, coffee, chocolate, and whatever else you guys want to suggest). I know a lot of you guys like to stay away from flavors but I'd still like some recommendations.

I recommend posting an intro in the Intro forum, reading the rules, and checking out the search function.

For a flavored cigar I would highly recommend a Tabak Especial Dulce. Also a pardon 2000 or AF short story

I mean a Padron 2000

Habak Especial by Drew Estate, Acid Opulence 3, Acid Kuba Kuba, CAO Bella Vanilla, just to name a few...Recommend you purchase a flavor sampler, you can find many varieties on different websites, may find some from the dealers that go through this website as well.

I'm quite fond of Quorum Shades, and for a flavored cigar, the CAO Cherrybomb is one I like (laugh all you want...), just don't get a flavored cigar near your non flavored cigars.

From time to time I come in here and get on my perma-newb soapbox, this will be one of those times...

I can see from your post count,a quick searchof topics you started, and by scanning the intro thread, that you still have not posted an intro. Bad Form!
Posting an intro might be the single most important step in becoming a member and part of the family. Not only does it let all of here get a small glimpse of who you are and why you like cigars but,
it also puts a huge amount of information in front of you. All that stuff that you have to scroll past you know....to get to the area where you can actually start your thread contains some very useful stuff.

So please, go back, and post am intro we really want to know who you are, and you really need to read the new members information.

On to the next....(and believe me, this is not just you)

But Cigar Pass has been around a long time, lots of members, lots of posts, lots of questions, LOTS OF INFORMATION.
For anyone, especially a newer member to think that have come up with a question that has never been asked is bordering on naive.
You should always use the search function, the one here on CP, and I like to search Google as well....

If you do not find your exact answer, you might find enough information to help ask a better, more thought out question.
Example:
Question 1. "Hey I just started smoking what is good for a new guy like me?'

Question 2. "Hey I just started smoking, after searching around here and on the inter-webs, I have found that I may be interested in trying the Tatuaje Line of cigars, also, that cigars with a Connecticut wrapper tend to be milder, would those be good for a guy like me?'

sure it takes more work, but if your not willing to show that you care about your hobby, why should anyone else?

Last thing...if for some reason you can not find the information you are looking for, and after deep soul searching, you feel it may be an question that has the possibility of being something that gets asked often, the post up, please by all means post up. In your post let us know the steps you have taken to find the information on your own. You will never be denied help here, or at least I never have.

There is a metric-ton of information to learn about this hobby, and other than the smoking of the leaf, the education is right at the top of what makes it such a rewarding past-time, or it is for me.

Now to answer your question. Flavored cigars are not my thing, the only ones that I have liked are the Natural by Drew Estates, nice coffee flavors.
Some of my favorite cigars when I started were the Hybrid series by Padilla, the Edge Connecticut, Double Chateau Fuente, I just started smoking them, but the Sungrown Mag by Fuente also seems lke a good cigar for a new smoker, and almost any o f the #000 line by Padron.

Hope that helps, I really am not trying to be a d!ck, just trying to help you along, hope you enjoy your time here, it really is a great place.

Feel free to PM me anytime

Tim

I'm bothered more by the other newbs who are posting in this thread without regard, or without reading, Tom's post. :(

I'm bothered more by the other newbs who are posting in this thread without regard, or without reading, Tom's post. :(

Yep. Maybe someone should lend them one of these:

128868152302816060.jpg

Just saying. Either that or more cowbell. :whistling:

~Boar

And it is hurting who to respond to a question? This is just one post on top of the thousands that already exists. Proper Forum etiquette is expected, and Tom corrected him, now that he has been corrected, I see no issue in answering the question by the OP. The post exist's, may as well be helpful and respond.

Respectively,
-JD

"Respectively?" ???

I think the point here is threefold: one, there are already hundreds of such threads, as a quick 'Search' will reveal; two, that's really NOT how we like people to introduce themselves to the community around here, and three . . . folks with only a month or two here really should follow the lead of more established members when it comes to maintaining the standards that keep Cigar Pass, Cigar Pass.

I've been here a few years and I still look to the FOGS for cues, rules, and clue by fours.

~Boar

"Respectively?" ???

I think the point here is threefold: one, there are already hundreds of such threads, as a quick 'Search' will reveal; two, that's really NOT how we like people to introduce themselves to the community around here, and three . . . folks with only a month or two here really should follow the lead of more established members when it comes to maintaining the standards that keep Cigar Pass, Cigar Pass.

I've been here a few years and I still look to the FOGS for cues, rules, and clue by fours.

~Boar

-Understood. I'm not trying to undermine any of you guys, you're the veteran's. Just learning the forum ways I'd say.

And it is hurting who to respond to a question? This is just one post on top of the thousands that already exists. Proper Forum etiquette is expected, and Tom corrected him, now that he has been corrected, I see no issue in answering the question by the OP. The post exist's, may as well be helpful and respond.

Respectively,
-JD
You guys pay attention to this guy with his 17 posts of wisdom and experience. Clearly, we've been doing it wrong all these years......;)

-Understood. I'm not trying to undermine any of you guys, you're the veteran's. Just learning the forum ways I'd say.

I've noticed a lot of new guys as of late are posting in threads without even reading beyond the first one or two posts. This results in threads that originated from spammers, people that are banned, noobs asking questions that have been asked a million times before, ect, being bumped. I doubt I am the only one that has noticed.

Respectively,
-JD
You guys pay attention to this guy with his 17 posts of wisdom and experience. Clearly, we've been doing it wrong all these years......;)

As the self proclaimed uber newb, i understand that no one listens to me, but I have at least 22 post.......:sign:

No wonder you FOGS get short tempered. In my short time here I too have seen the amount of these first entry posts. My hats off to you for not getting more pissed than you do. :thumbs:

Edit for spelling

Perhaps I'd have more patience with these types if I felt the OP would be more than a one-and-done poster. These people use CP as their encyclopedia. They ask their question, get what they need, and move on. No giving back.

Perhaps I'd have more patience with these types if I felt the OP would be more than a one-and-done poster. These people use CP as their encyclopedia. They ask their question, get what they need, and move on. No giving back.
Like a dog humping your leg.

I can understand where you guys are all coming from, but a question like this is hardly one with a definite answer. I barely have any CP experience, but I do have plenty of general and specific forum experience. I can definitely say the search feature is hardly used on any forum, but that doesn't mean members should be bombarded with snarky remarks for asking the same questions.

Even if he only joined to ask this question, it gives an opportunity for newer members to answer and share their opinions. I'm sure a lot of people would get aggravated if I found a year old thread and bumped it to add my two cents. Not to mention that a question like this is subject to many different answers that can change as members try different and newer cigars.

As for me, I started with an acid blondie. The only reason why I, and many others I've talked to, might recommend flavored cigars to start out with, is that they ease you into the world of cigars. The sweetness gives you a familiar ground to work with, instead of the obscure and somewhat unfamiliar flavors of a traditional cigar. I even think that because of that sweetness, you would be less likely to get sick from smoking one. Nicotine sickness tends to kick in when you smoke on an empty stomach. Many say its because of low blood sugar. A common cure is a spoonful of sugar, or something sweet in general. Smoking a sweet cigar is almost like preemptively combating nicotine sickness.

For a non flavored variety, I'm not very experienced to say, but out of the ones I've had, I very much enjoyed the American Classic Blend from Alec Bradley. I wouldn't normally wouldn't consider price a factor in quality, but this one is probably quite a gem for the price it has. I think I payed somewhere around 8 bucks at my local cigar bar for this one, and this thing is pretty huge. Holding it, it almost felt heavy, but regardless it was the first cigar that I actually sat down and finished in one sitting.

My first real smoke was a rp edge lite out of a rp sampler. Then I had the sun grown and my smoking career took off lol