• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommendations for a beginner

I've noticed a lot of new guys as of late are posting in threads without even reading beyond the first one or two posts. This results in threads that originated from spammers, people that are banned, noobs asking questions that have been asked a million times before, ect, being bumped. I doubt I am the only one that has noticed.

Huh, really?

My first real smoke was a rp edge lite out of a rp sampler. Then I had the sun grown and my smoking career took off lol

I've noticed a lot of new guys as of late are posting in threads without even reading beyond the first one or two posts. This results in threads that originated from spammers, people that are banned, noobs asking questions that have been asked a million times before, ect, being bumped. I doubt I am the only one that has noticed.

Huh, really?

My first real smoke was a rp edge lite out of a rp sampler. Then I had the sun grown and my smoking career took off lol

I see what you did there.... :0

As for me, I started with an acid blondie.

For a non flavored variety, I'm not very experienced to say, but out of the ones I've had, I very much enjoyed the American Classic Blend from Alec Bradley.

If you had included this information in your first post guys might have been more willing to toss you a bone. Would have shown that you aren't just a fly by poster. You can also say that on most forums the search function doesn't get used, and you would be right, however posted right at the top of the page on this forum (and in the new member guide our site owner asks you to read) it states that this site expects you to search first to see if your question has been answered many times before. You want us to hand you info without snarky comments, and we want you to read and follow our rules and guidelines. See the Catch 22? No new member has been turned away for looking for information, provided they do so in the fashion we expect all of our members to uphold. However, many a new guys that thinks they are entitled to our years of information gathering just because they sign up, and then get up in arms when they are asked to do things "our way" have been shown the door. You respect us, we'll respect you.

First of all, hey! I'm curious as to which cigars you folks would recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for a couple different suggestions. I want at-least two regular cigars, and three or four flavored (mango, coffee, chocolate, and whatever else you guys want to suggest). I know a lot of you guys like to stay away from flavors but I'd still like some recommendations.

All I heard was my older brother saying, "How's it feel to want?"

but that doesn't mean members should be bombarded with snarky remarks for asking the same questions.

Caveman, I didn't see any real bombardment with any snarky comments. ;)

I don't know. I suppose a thread like this showing up every month by a new-new guy is kinda like working at a map shop and every two minutes somebody comes in and asks for directions. All you have to do is a search a little bit. That being said, Rod did say the following in the "Favorite Cigar Under $5" thread:

Nothing wrong with this question being asked. As I'm sure you know, cigars are constantly changing. There are many new blends coming out, more so now than ever it seems.

If we always relied on search to answer all questions, then the community would become less and less active. While "search is your friend" is often applicable to threads relating to something along the lines of "how do I season my humidor" or "cello on or off", I don't believe we can tell members that "search is your friend" in a case such as this one.

[snip]

Rod

I believe Rod brought up a valid point, however, in the FIRST 5 PAGES of the Cigar Lounge, I found SEVEN "give me a recommendation" threads in the last 3 months.

Favorite Cigar Under $5
Looking For a Good Leathery Cigar
Starter Cigars
Recommendations Please
cigar recommendations
connecticut wrapper recommendations please
Looking for some recommendations

So, that being said, as far as I can sort of tell, the cigar industry doesn't drastically change in 3 months. And, I found all 7 of those threads in the first 5 pages of this area of the forum. I didn't even search.

The only point I'm trying to make JJDriver and Caveman and anybody else who doesn't agree with some of the other members' responses is that you have to see it from their perspective. Searching is part of how you learn, and it generally shows that you're not here to just take our information (as Sneeds said).

If the OP becomes an integral part of CP, then great. He/She will move past their mistake with grace and months or years down the line see exactly why they were "bombarded" with "snarky" comments. If they don't, then that is the way it goes.

As far as recommendations, I like the Padron X000 series. Cheap, solid taste, and they age well. Caveman, I know you're newer here and I know what it looks like, but after a few months you'll understand and appreciate how much everyone is holding back.

Forget searching, many fine brothers have hinted that it would be wise of you to look at the forum rules, the biggie being fill in your information. You joined us 8/11 and today is 8/21 and you still have left us with a total blank.

I am as soft as they get here, but I will not go against the rules, nor my fellow very well qualified brothers that are trying to point you in the right direction.

The way I see it, if you don't feel like answering a question that has been asked time and time again, then simply don't answer it. The people who WANT to share will answer it. Regardless of whether the thread is old or new, there would be a recommendation thread on the first page right now. So what does it matter if someone makes another? Not to mention, each person asking this question is probably looking for something specific (cigars under 5 bucks, flavored cigars, etc.)

Maybe its just me. I enjoy helping people out a lot. I work part time in a retail store at the moment, and I can't tell you how often I get the same exact questions asked, usually more than five times every day. And yeah, it does get annoying sometimes, but even if I had the option of not answering, I wouldn't feel right knowing that I could have helped someone out a little with such little effort.

The way I see it, if you don't feel like answering a question that has been asked time and time again, then simply don't answer it. The people who WANT to share will answer it. Regardless of whether the thread is old or new, there would be a recommendation thread on the first page right now. So what does it matter if someone makes another? Not to mention, each person asking this question is probably looking for something specific (cigars under 5 bucks, flavored cigars, etc.)

Maybe its just me. I enjoy helping people out a lot. I work part time in a retail store at the moment, and I can't tell you how often I get the same exact questions asked, usually more than five times every day. And yeah, it does get annoying sometimes, but even if I had the option of not answering, I wouldn't feel right knowing that I could have helped someone out a little with such little effort.

Actually, you'll find that this place is a wealth of information, and the people here are extremely helpful.....provided that you follow the rules.

Look, basically this place has the stance that if you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day....and then come back for another one tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day.

Make his ass fish for it himself though, and the next time he would like a fish...guess what? He will go fishing. If he comes up empty handed after a few tries, and then asks one of us where he could possibly procure said fish, chances are pretty damned good that one or many of us will say, "Go here."

Does that explain it?

Also, the one post wonders annoy us, simply because they use CP as their one stop shop to answer their question, then leave and are almost never seen again. Hell, look at this thead, the OP hasn't posted since.

Caveman, while I appreciate your opinion and stance on this issue, the fact of the matter is that you have been here for four days. Does that mean "screw you noob, you dont get an opinion?" No, it doesn't, so don't take it as such. All it means is that as you stay around longer, you'll begin to understand why certain things are the way they are.

I'm not gonna sit here and say you don't bring up good points. You do, and I hope you read these comments in the spirit they are intended. But your example isn't exactly analogous. A walk-in customer can't exactly search what other customers have asked. Nothing wrong asking staff for a recommendation, or you a question in your example. But the online world is obviously different.

Is asking the "recommendation" question a truly horrific thing? No, of course not. But if the OP continued to post and became a member of this community I'm pretty sure they'd get much more info and welcomes. After all, who are you more likely to help out? Your friend you've known a while or some stranger that comes up and demands info?

CR, Souldog, Da Cloud,, I think you all said the same thing, and I like the fish. WTF, fair is fair, ain't it? We only have 30 replies to this and I will bet the profile info has yet to be updated.

I started with an AF 858 maduro when I start smoking cigars regularly 10+years ago. Not too strong and a well made cigar that ages very well for the money. Also, try out the Padron 2000, 3000, 5000, 6000 series. Very good cigars for the money. But more importantly, take your time, do so research as others here have suggested and go buy a few sticks. I'm no help in flavored cigars as I don't smoke em.

As a newb you should try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on.
Keep notes or remember those that you like. It's not rocket science.
Everybody has different taste/favorites.

For a complete newb stay with mild and medium smokes for a while.
Ask at your local cigar store for suggestions, or try the vendors on this site.
Try Romeo y Julietta, A. Fuente and Macanudo for starters.

I've never smoked a flavored cigar, but Wilkie always liked CAO Moontrance. LOL

Chemyst :cool:

I think it's fairly obvious the OP isn't coming back. But I suppose this is all great info for the next newb to not search for.

I'm eating up this thread. Both for the info and the entertainment. Carry on:)
-Hash

Hash,

This thread is not for entertainment but for education. This has been very mild....
...but, throwing out what amounts to "popcorn" comments could be enough to tip the scales.
Understand, I make no police here, just observations tempered with just enough time here to see where this thread could have gone.

There is a thread in the bowels of CP, a Greatest Hits of Ass Hats thread, good reading......really good reading

T

I'm eating up this thread. Both for the info and the entertainment. Carry on:)
-Hash

Hash,

This thread is not for entertainment but for education. This has been very mild....
...but, throwing out what amounts to "popcorn" comments could be enough to tip the scales.
Understand, I make no police here, just observations tempered with just enough time here to see where this thread could have gone.

There is a thread in the bowels of CP, a Greatest Hits of Ass Hats thread, good reading......really good reading

T
Thanks for the heads up. Honestly, being new to the board and new to cigars, this thread has truly been educational from both a cigar recommendation perspective and a board etiquette perspective. Reading the rule threads are one thing, but seeing reactions to infractions is another. Sorry for the inadvertent popcorn.
-Hash