• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Regional Foods and Products

yanksfan

Reaction score
Seeing how we're so spread out on CP, I was wondering if ya'll have any interesting foods and/or products that are available in only your area. For example, here in upstate NY we have Zweigle's hot dogs. These being unique because they offer a white hot dog made from beef. They're delicious! Also we have Genesee beer (the Cream Ale is a classic), Red Osier Roast beef, buffalo wings(fairly country wide by now I believe), Bill Gray's hot sauce, Boss Sauce, HeluvaGood cheeses, Abbots Frozen Custard (chocolate almond- my fav), Grandma Browns Baked Beans and many more I can't think of right now. Also theres a supermarket chain called Wegmans. It's a truly amazing store. When people visit Rochester they always have to pay a visit.

Genessee is distributed nationwide actually.

The only thing I can think of that we have here that aren't widely available are huckleberries.

The Twin Cities has a pretty popular micro-brew called Summit. Their most popular line is a pale ale. Which is a pretty good beer. Up around Lilbastage's neck of the woods, in Duluth, they have a hotel/restaurant/brewery that produces an array of good beer blends as well. Aside from local beers, folks in the Twin Cities really do love their imports and you can literally get beer from wherever the hell you want. Most recently, I've been drinking a Kenyan beer called Tusker. It's really not even that fantastic, but the fact that's it has traveled some 8000 miles to a glass on my patio just completely blows me away.

I don't know much along the line of the cheeses. Wisconsin has a much better market there. However, one thing that does surprise folks from outside of the Twin Cities, is how culturally diverse it is here. We have some fantastic Indian, Ethiopian, East African, Mexican and Middle-Eastern restaurants. If you enjoy something besides the burger and fries, you're literally in seventh heavon here. I love it, and alas, the wife wants to move to Phoenix.

Minnesota really is a place that if more people knew how good we have it, they'd all move here. We exaggerate our winters horribly to keep folks away. It's actually 80 degrees and sunny here every day. ;)

Seeing how we're so spread out on CP, I was wondering if ya'll have any interesting foods and/or products that are available in only your area. For example, here in upstate NY we have Zweigle's hot dogs. These being unique because they offer a white hot dog made from beef. They're delicious! Also we have Genesee beer (the Cream Ale is a classic), Red Osier Roast beef, buffalo wings(fairly country wide by now I believe), Bill Gray's hot sauce, Boss Sauce, HeluvaGood cheeses, Abbots Frozen Custard (chocolate almond- my fav), Grandma Browns Baked Beans and many more I can't think of right now. Also theres a supermarket chain called Wegmans. It's a truly amazing store. When people visit Rochester they always have to pay a visit.

How could you forget about Tahou's??? Nick Tahou's has the best drunk food ever: the garbage plate. The traditional plate has home fries and macaroni salad on the bottom, a couple cheeseburgers on top of that, then onions, mustard, and hot meat sauce all over eveything. Very popular and you should see the lines at 3 in the morning on a weekend... So popular everybody around town started copying them with their own versions.

Hey yanksfan, what happened to the Tahou's on Lyle Ave?? When I moved back to Rochester last summer, it was now Steve T's. :(

Dell's frozen lemonade, Hot Weiners (small hot dog, with a meat sauce, onions and celery salt), Eclipse Coffee milk, Quahogs / Stuffies (big ass clams)

Being next door to Amish country we have a number of different things to choose from. A myriad of sausages and beef parts not usually found in stores....tongue and kidneys for example. Home made goat cheese and some of the best veggies in the land because they don't use any chemicals on their crops.

HeluvaGood is here in PA and MD and I swear I saw it in WI too. Wegmans is all the way into MD too.

Believe it or not we have a lot of mexican food out here. I really enjoy going into the places that do not have a word of english in their signage and giving them a shot. No english spoken either its just point to what you want on the menu and wait and see what you get. Cabeza and lengua taco's were damn good. Also some seafood soup that is a bowl of vegges and shell fish still in thier shells. Oh yea. Cabeza = the meat that comes off of the cow skull when you boil it and lengua= well think about it and it is pretty obvious.

Good times, Les

I dont know what we have in CO that some of you might not...but I certainly know what the northeast has that I dont....Drakes Cakes and Weiss Potato Chips. In CO we also do not get Texas Petes sauces.

The Twin Cities has a pretty popular micro-brew called Summit. Their most popular line is a pale ale. Which is a pretty good beer. Up around Lilbastage's neck of the woods, in Duluth, they have a hotel/restaurant/brewery that produces an array of good beer blends as well. Aside from local beers, folks in the Twin Cities really do love their imports and you can literally get beer from wherever the hell you want. Most recently, I've been drinking a Kenyan beer called Tusker. It's really not even that fantastic, but the fact that's it has traveled some 8000 miles to a glass on my patio just completely blows me away.

I don't know much along the line of the cheeses. Wisconsin has a much better market there. However, one thing that does surprise folks from outside of the Twin Cities, is how culturally diverse it is here. We have some fantastic Indian, Ethiopian, East African, Mexican and Middle-Eastern restaurants. If you enjoy something besides the burger and fries, you're literally in seventh heavon here. I love it, and alas, the wife wants to move to Phoenix.

Minnesota really is a place that if more people knew how good we have it, they'd all move here. We exaggerate our winters horribly to keep folks away. It's actually 80 degrees and sunny here every day. ;)
Yeah, and the taxes are REALLY low on everything! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I went to Fitger's (the aforementioned brewery) on Wednesday. Yummy! Lake Superior Brewery is also making some good stuff. We do love our beer up here. What the hell else can you do when it's below zero for a month and a half?

We also have Lutefisk up here. Of course, I'm not sure that's a good thing! :laugh:

There arn't too many places that sell limburger cheese outside Wisconsin (and there is only 1 factory in the U.S. that makes it, and it is in Wisc.) You'll find quite a few bars in northern Wisc that serve limburger.

The other food that is popular in Wisc, but not so elsewhere is raw beef. Though you can get it everywhere, I don't think many people outside Wisc. eat it. It's mainly served at Christmas and New Year's parties. Ground round steak on rye bread with onions, salt and pepper and a dab of mustard. YUM! Just make sure you get it from a trusted butcher.

Alaskan salmon and halibut...just like the ones Swissy, Blue Dragon, and I recently caught.

Alaskan King Crab...if I have to explain it...oh, never mind. :whistling:

Local/regional brews from Alaskan Brewing Co., Sleeping Lady, and others. Anchorage alone may well have the most breweries per capita of any city in the U.S.—about one brewery per 32,000 people, from what I've read.

Reindeer sausage, available in the local grocery stores and served on buns from street carts in the summer. I especially like the vendors who top 'em with onions sautéed in Coca-Cola.

Muktuk, the skin and blubber of whales harvested by Native Alaskans. It's often eaten raw but may be breaded and fried, or even pickled. Never had it myself.

Two things from back home in Michigan that I can't get anywhere else are Kogels pickled bologna and hot dogs (viennas or coneys in a big 10-pound box). A must have every time I travel back home!

099.jpg

122.jpg

Raw beef can be found in any German community and I like it just the way you do too. We have two different limburger cheeses in my local store (Giant). Mohawk which can be found all over and an imported one that I've forgotten the name of. If I go down the road to the Wegman's store they have 4 or 5 different ones. But yes, WI is the only placed I lived that you find limburger in the bars.

There arn't too many places that sell limburger cheese outside Wisconsin (and there is only 1 factory in the U.S. that makes it, and it is in Wisc.) You'll find quite a few bars in northern Wisc that serve limburger.

The other food that is popular in Wisc, but not so elsewhere is raw beef. Though you can get it everywhere, I don't think many people outside Wisc. eat it. It's mainly served at Christmas and New Year's parties. Ground round steak on rye bread with onions, salt and pepper and a dab of mustard. YUM! Just make sure you get it from a trusted butcher.

Being next door to Amish country we have a number of different things to choose from. A myriad of sausages and beef parts not usually found in stores....tongue and kidneys for example. Home made goat cheese and some of the best veggies in the land because they don't use any chemicals on their crops.

HeluvaGood is here in PA and MD and I swear I saw it in WI too. Wegmans is all the way into MD too.

Wegmans is down into Virginia, too. Actually, they were in VA before they opened a store in MD! I live a couple miles away from the one in Hunt Valley in Baltimore; it's like a little slice of home...

Edit: Damn grammar mistakes

That's the one I go to also :)

Wegmans is down into Virginia, too. Actually, they were in VA before they opened a store in MD! I live a couple miles away from the one in Hunt Valley in Baltimore; it's like a little slice of home...