• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Regionals information

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Though I often don't know what I don't know when it comes to CCs, I'm not afraid to admit when I know what I don't know. A full understanding of regional releases is one of those things I never really grasped. I know I'm not the only one, either! Here's an explanation of REs from Half Wheel. So, it seems that the blends are the same, it's just a novel vitola for a specific cigar? Also, I didn't realize that the "global brands" didn't do REs.

"The Edición Regional program sees Habanos S.A., the marketing and distribution company behind Cuban cigars, create unique, limited vitolas for its distributors around the world. Sizes must be those that are in the Habanos S.A. portfolio, but not amongst the regular production offerings for the brand, although some discontinued regular sizes can be created. New vitolas created for a certain brand are also not eligible to be used. In addition, the “global” brands—i.e. Cohiba, H. Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey, José L. Piedra, Montecristo, Partagás and Romeo y Julieta—are not eligible to be made into an Edición Regional.

Since 2012, distributors have been limited to a single release per year, a change from prior years when some distributors would receive multiple releases per year. Distributors are the ones to initiate the idea of a new release, and the cost for any new Edición Regional must be underwritten by the distributor. There is no guarantee that any particular region will get a new release in a given year."

Sorry if this is a dumb question but according to the posted information every Regionals is in a particular vitola that will only be used for that release, unless it is a retired regular production size?

I wonder if it’s because they can’t, or they won’t

Being it is all Habanos S.A., I wonder what the reasoning is behind it. On one hand, I can see not wanting to dilute their bread and butter. On the other hand, a Cohiba RE would be like printing money...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but according to the posted information every Regionals is in a particular vitola that will only be used for that release, unless it is a retired regular production size?

I could be wrong, but that's the way I'm reading it. The vitola may be used as a production size on other brands, but for that particular marca it will be unique to the RE.