• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rehydrating Boveda Pack

trogdor burninator

My Boveda pack finally gave out after a solid year of service and I was wondering if there was a way to rehydrate the pack. I did a quick search and couldn't find any information on whether it was even possible; most people were saying the packs were one time use and then you had to throw them out.

I did a little experiment and it seems to have worked. I just took some tupperware, put in some distilled water, and put my Boveda pack in there on a little stand. After sealing it up and leaving it for a week, the Boveda pack is now reading 71% RH (it's a 69% RH pack). It's been steady for the last week. Sorry if this is nothing new, but I couldn't find any info when searching for "Boveda" and thought I'd post my experience.

I know someone that used the same tactic, but the packs can start to leak after they've been rehydrated once or twice. For what they cost, I would suggest buying a new one.

Done this numerous times and it works like a charm...

Derek

I store the Bovida packs I get in a ziplock bag with a little piece of sponge in it that I wet with distilled water. Seems to keep them fresh for a long, long time.

B.B.S.

Derek and BBS,

How many times have you been able to successfully re-hydrate a single pack? Do they last as long the second round or do they start dropping in performance? My Boveda pack lasted me a year, the first time. If I can bet on a year each time, then this would be lower maintenance than even my humidity beads.

I know someone that used the same tactic, but the packs can start to leak after they've been rehydrated once or twice. For what they cost, I would suggest buying a new one.

I agree. Just buy new packs.

Or, maybe use the rehydrate as a stop gap while you wait to either get new ones, or your shipment is on the way. They sure are handy little devils. :cool:

Or, maybe use the rehydrate as a stop gap while you wait to either get new ones, or your shipment is on the way. They sure are handy little devils. :cool:

That's what I do. Old (cracker hard) packs go into a plastic container. It take awhile to re-hydrate, and I use them while waiting for new ones to ship. I have never gotten them back to "as-new" condition, but maybe I'm not waiting long enough.

If you got 1 year out of a boveda pack that like less a penny a day just get a new one why take a chance, your cigars is worth more than $4.50 :rolleyes: :D

When you took out the "cracker-hard" Boveda, did you put a new one in? If so, just add the newly rehydrated pack to your humi and see which one outlasts the other. I've got 3 that I keep in normal rotation through my travel humis. Haven't had to buy one in almost 2 years (SS sent me 2 mini's as well). Granted, these are for my TRAVEL humis. As MOBIG said, if these are for your main humi, it wouldn't hurt to replace one Boveda every year...that's a well-sealed humidor.

:thumbs:

Derek

My Boveda pack finally gave out after a solid year of service and I was wondering if there was a way to rehydrate the pack. I did a quick search and couldn't find any information on whether it was even possible; most people were saying the packs were one time use and then you had to throw them out.

I did a little experiment and it seems to have worked. I just took some tupperware, put in some distilled water, and put my Boveda pack in there on a little stand. After sealing it up and leaving it for a week, the Boveda pack is now reading 71% RH (it's a 69% RH pack). It's been steady for the last week. Sorry if this is nothing new, but I couldn't find any info when searching for "Boveda" and thought I'd post my experience.

I've never tried, when I miss the propieades I'll see if it works.
Anyway I have a new parts for when I fail, I do not think that when rehydrate properties remain forever.

A greeting

Antonio

I just don't understand chinching on humidification when you have hundreds of dollars worth of cigars at stake.

Go with beads or the gel types.

I've got Viper's RH beads in my main humidors, but I use the Boveda's in my Cigar Caddy, which is only for short trips. I just wanted to hear what other user experiences were with re-hydrating these. I figure, if it can be rehydrated, why not? I'll keep testing out my re-hydrated pack and see what kind of performance I get over the next few months. I'll post back here with my results.

I just don't understand chinching on humidification when you have hundreds of dollars worth of cigars at stake.
I don't - I have a cabinet with active humidification and beads to boot.

But, for shipping gars as bombs, or shipping to buddies a long ways away, or throwing in the travel box, the little Bovida's are hard to beat.

I've never even paid for one - I get them from some cigar merchants when I order. I still have some left over from when Fuente used to put them in boxes.

All I've ever done is keep 'em in a ziplock bag with a little piece of sponge that gets wetted with distilled water every month or so, and they keep fine and last almost forever.

Different application = different strategy.

FWIW - B.B.S.