• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Replacing bands on ISOM coming from DR

bigpatvoodoodad

CP Newbie
So, one of my in-laws is Dominican and is in DR with other members of my family. He said he could bring back some ISOM Cohiba's but he doesn't remember the name of the place and that the person who sold him the cigars replaced the labels for him so customs wouldn't give him any grief. I asked him the length and ring gauge so I could determine what he may have gotten. He doesn't know much about cigars so he said that they are in a wooden box with a humidor inside (don't know what he means by that really). The length appears to be around six inches and about a half inch round. He said that he got them in Puerto Plata. Given all the factors above, it just doesn't seem legit to me. I'm a noob, so any advice would be appreciated. I would ask him if the place had a Habanos SA License, but I don't think he would know.

I would think that they are most likely fakes. I know of places that have removed the bands for customs purposes when I have traveled to Canada to go skiing, but they always give you the original bands as well in an envelope or zip lock bag. Given that, the the questionable source, I would venture to say they are likely fakes.

So, one of my in-laws is Dominican and is in DR with other members of my family. He said he could bring back some ISOM Cohiba's but he doesn't remember the name of the place and that the person who sold him the cigars replaced the labels for him so customs wouldn't give him any grief. I asked him the length and ring gauge so I could determine what he may have gotten. He doesn't know much about cigars so he said that they are in a wooden box with a humidor inside (don't know what he means by that really). The length appears to be around six inches and about a half inch round. He said that he got them in Puerto Plata. Given all the factors above, it just doesn't seem legit to me. I'm a noob, so any advice would be appreciated. I would ask him if the place had a Habanos SA License, but I don't think he would know.

If it walks like a duck....

Happy Friday!

They are likely fakes. Addy is in my profile, I'll tell you for sure.:laugh:

They're probably the same type of stick they are going to wrap the real bands around just before they put them in the glass top box. :rolleyes: :D

Don't listen to these naysayers and thieves, they're probably very real. Your best bet is to smoke one, and send a few off to MoeCizlak for verification. In addition, he is a fan of KY Jelly sandwiches and loves jeweled beads for "recreational" purposes.

Ok, so I have pics my sister sent me of the Cohibas bought in the DR. They are in a glass top box and each cigar is wrapped in cellophane. Verdict?

Here's the pics:

As fake as they get, bro. Actually, even a little faker than that. Search the forums for "glass top", this is discussed many, many times...

-John

As fake as they get, bro. Actually, even a little faker than that. Search the forums for "glass top", this is discussed many, many times...

-John

Yeah, the glass top and cellophane were the immediate signs. I believe these were purchased in Puerto Plata.

Ok, so I have pics my sister sent me of the Cohibas bought in the DR. They are in a glass top box and each cigar is wrapped in cellophane. Verdict?

Here's the pics:

gallery_10791_4_28794.jpg

gallery_10791_4_1054.jpg

Words fail me.

No those are absolutely authentic glass top Cohibas. You should put them on eBay immediately for at least a $100 minimum bid.

These are copies. Legitimate glass top Cohibas never came with cello. Don't everybody laugh all at once. John

The "La Habana Cuba" on the side of the box is spooky good. If it weren't for the glass top, it would be difficult to say. Some of these counterfeiters are getting very good at their craft. :rolleyes:

Unless they are vinella flavored and sport a barber pole, double wrapper, there's just no way they could be real. At least that's what the guy in the store in the DR told me. And he has this friend, whose brother's, girlfriend's, father's, plumber's, dog's psychiatrist knows a guy who works in one of the biggest factories in Cuba. So he gets all the inside info and would know.

Thanks for all the helpful and insightful comments

Some of you come off sounding like condescending, know-it-all pricks. You must be very sad little men.

Thanks for all the helpful and insightful comments

Some of you come off sounding like condescending, know-it-all pricks. You must be very sad little men.

No we are condescending know it all pricks! Thank you very much :thumbs:

Now don't let the door knob hit you where the sun don't shine.