• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Resting ISOM's

Wow! This thread has been so much more informative than i ever could have hope. thanks guys I'm learning tons. :thumbs: :thumbs:

While Rod and Brian make good points about Cubans not having the aged tobacco as their NC counterparts, the dreaded "sick period" is not nearly as prevalent in Cubans nowadays. They introduced aged fillers (and maybe binders?) in late '06, so the "sick" period is not as pronounced and in most cases, not even noticeable anymore. For a lot of them, however, the cigar still needs time to marry and this can take a week, a month, a decade depending on your palate and the cigar. But, like they said, smoke one whenever you get it and form your own opinion.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

for cigars that are (more or less)42rg.
there is another sick period to contend with.most 3 year old smokes are a pretty good to really good smoke.then they go through a bland/blah/boring period(this is what i feel is the second "sick"period)for a few years.seems to me(once again...for about 42rg cigars)that the 99's and 00's have just started to come out of this particular funk...01's are coming around nicely too.

4 to 7 lete em sit
derrek

Very interesting Derrek. Aside from Cohiba I rarely smoke anything with less then 7-8 years box age. Perhaps this phenomena is why.

As far as the wait time for newly arrived cigars I'm in the two month camp. But I likes mine dry and it takes that long for them to acclimate to my preferred RH.

Very interesting Derrek. Aside from Cohiba I rarely smoke anything with less then 7-8 years box age. Perhaps this phenomena is why.

As far as the wait time for newly arrived cigars I'm in the two month camp. But I likes mine dry and it takes that long for them to acclimate to my preferred RH.

craig

to be honest :whistling: ...i dont smoke a whole lot of young cigars anymore either...the exception being my yearly trip to cuba.

derrek :D

My box of September 07 Partagas D4's are coming good right about now. A year after they are boxed works for me in general.

there is another sick period to contend with.most 3 year old smokes are a pretty good to really good smoke.then they go through a bland/blah/boring period(this is what i feel is the second "sick"period)for a few years.seems to me(once again...for about 42rg cigars)that the 99's and 00's have just started to come out of this particular funk...01's are coming around nicely too.

4 to 7 lete em sit
derrek

This theory used to lend credence up until around 2006. Cuba, as far as I am aware, starting doing what the NC guys do to get their smokes smokable a lot sooner. I have recently smoked
various younger CC's and they taste great. Whereas, the same sticks 3 years ago, needed down time.

With reference to the OP's original question...some guys like Craig, don't like to touch a cigar that has traveled for at least a month. I work on the basis of, don't touch for the same duration
it took to get to you.

Brian

Brian

I usually smoke one on receipt of the box and one two weeks after that. Then it is a period of deep rest, unless it is a box of vintage/aged cigars in that case it's smoking time after a brief rest period. The brief rest period depends if it is a dress box or cabinet. YMMV

4 to 7 lete em sit
derrek

This theory used to lend credence up until around 2006. Cuba, as far as I am aware, starting doing what the NC guys do to get their smokes smokable a lot sooner. I have recently smoked
various younger CC's and they taste great. Whereas, the same sticks 3 years ago, needed down time.

With reference to the OP's original question...some guys like Craig, don't like to touch a cigar that has traveled for at least a month. I work on the basis of, don't touch for the same duration
it took to get to you.

Brian

Brian

I've been finding that with 2-3 weeks of rest they taste great, which I guess supports your theory since it takes about that long for them to get here! Granted I'm a newb and haven't had the pleasure of smoking aged cigars yet.

I usually smoke one on receipt of the box and one two weeks after that. Then it is a period of deep rest, unless it is a box of vintage/aged cigars in that case it's smoking time after a brief rest period. The brief rest period depends if it is a dress box or cabinet. YMMV

Interesting. What difference do you notice between the dress box and cab, Tone?

It's not like I'm an expert or anything, but I smoked the first out of a dress box about two days after they got in my hands (Sep 07) and it was good, really good! About a week later my friend and I smoked another two, and they were just as good.

The dress box now sits on the bottom of one of my humidors, waiting patiently for me to work my way through my newie sampler (Thanks again, heatmiser!), but I didn't have any intention of aging them, mostly because the thought hadn't crossed my mind. My assumption is that either a dress box or SLB are equally good for aging, as long as they are kept under the right conditions, so I may just set a bunch aside and try to control myself. (I'll let you guys know how that works out :D)

I've a couple of boxes on the way, one a dress box and one an SLB. Based on what I had heard, I ordered like so to put the SLB away and (try to) forget it for a long while. That may be misleading. The dress box and the SLB are different cigars, so it's not some for now and some for later - though now that I think about it, that's a pretty damn good idea!

I don't think I have ever smoked an aged cigar, and the I bought SLB as my way to try and do that in a few years time, as I don't think I can afford aged cigars at this moment. To my uncultured thinking, the SLB will afford the cigars better physical protection than the dress box.

I'm talking about CCs, and the previous statements are fictional and any similarity to real evens is purely coincidental.

Interesting. What difference do you notice between the dress box and cab, Tone?

I too am curious about this too, although I doubt it will have an effect. Then again I can't really tell from personal experience.