• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Ashton VSG

elderboy02

Date: 1/27/11

Cigar: Ashton VSG Eclipse Tubo (6 x 52)

Cost: I don't remember

Drink: Coke (The best cola)

Appearance: This cigar comes in a metal tube. The wrapper is a bit rough. I am giving the appearance a 5/10.

Pre-Light: I get a bit of cocoa on the pre-light draw.

Construction: The draw was pretty loose. When I cut the head, the wrapper cracked around the head which is strange because I store my cigars at 65% RH and I never have this problem

IMG_20110127_180651.jpg

Taste of the cigar: I tasted a little bit of chocolate and it also tasted a little bit nutty. The flavor seemed to be lacking. I smoked about 1.5" and then I put it out.

IMG_20110127_182033-1.jpg

Strength: This is a medium bodied cigar.

Summary: I have never cared for Ashton VSG's. I have tried so hard to like them because a lot of people like them. These in my opinion are not worth the cost. There are so many better smokes out there that cost a lot less. I am never going to buy this cigar again. I give this cigar a 2/10.

That's a shame. I absolutely loved the VSG I had last summer. If you have any extras sitting around in the humi, PM me and I may be able to take them off your hands for you.

That's too bad about your experience. I have really enjoyed every VSG that I have had. But, I guess everyone has their own taste, and the VSG just isn't yours.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. VSG is still my favorite line.

I smoked an Eclipse on Tuesday (straight out of the B&M's humidor) and it was the best stick I have smoked in the past year. The Balvenie (21) that was paired with it didn't hurt.

Ken

I've had a couple VSGs that were a disappointment, something was off, but generally they are a very good smoke.

Its never happened to me with a VSG, but you can definitely get a bad one in a batch.

I we all thought Coke was the best drink in the world, Budweiser would not be able to afford horse feed.

The VSGs were great a couple years ago, I haven't had a good one since the OR Eclipse. The regular release Eclipse are just like the rest now. :(

I have a couple waiting for my attention. I removed one from the tubos and it didn't remind me of any VSG I've had before. Looking forward to finding some time to try one of these, maybe the cedar inside the tubos is muting this thing.

I have never thought the VSG really lived up to all the hype. I have not been impressed by one. On the other hand, my brother-in-law loves them and thinks they are the only cigar worth smoking. I am trying to get him to broaden his horizon. He is kind of a one bourbon one cigar guy.

Appearance: This cigar comes in a metal tube. The wrapper is a bit rough. I am giving the appearance a 5/10.

Construction: The draw was pretty loose. When I cut the head, the wrapper cracked around the head which is strange because I store my cigars at 65% RH and I never have this problem

IMG_20110127_180651.jpg

Taste of the cigar: I tasted a little bit of chocolate and it also tasted a little bit nutty. The flavor seemed to be lacking. I smoked about 1.5" and then I put it out.

Summary: I have never cared for Ashton VSG's. I have tried so hard to like them because a lot of people like them. These in my opinion are not worth the cost. There are so many better smokes out there that cost a lot less. I am never going to buy this cigar again. I give this cigar a 2/10.

I'm getting the impression that you don't really know how you feel about this cigar yet,..

IMG_20110127_180651.jpg

I'm getting the impression that you don't really know how you feel about this cigar yet,..

Yeah, you could say I didn't like it. :laugh:

IMG_20110127_180651.jpg

ummm.... Okay.

I've never had a bad VSG or ESG... And I picked up an Eclipse to smoke next Sunday as my birthday cigar...

I'll post my thoughts in this thread when I have done so.

The only one in this line I don't care for is the Enchantment. I've never got one to burn right. The others have always been rock solid.

Sorry your experience was not a good one.

To each his own I guess.

The only one in this line I don't care for is the Enchantment. I've never got one to burn right. The others have always been rock solid.

Sorry your experience was not a good one.

To each his own I guess.

ROFL, and that's the size from this line I gravitate to mostly! :love: :love: :love: <3 them

I personally prefer the Aston ESG over the VSG. But the VSG is still a great smoke.

I really enjoyed my VSG today, but I have to agree something about the blend is different. It was good, but not as good as I remembered the ones I had from 2005-2007.