• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review - God of Fire by Carlito 2005

Yojimbo

Brutish Nubber
So it seems I've picked a smoke with a hefty reputation for my first posted review. I've taken notes of many cigars I've smoked, just to remember what I liked or didn't, and to learn my palette as well as to pick up flavors. I'm a cigarette smoker, and I'm told that makes it tougher to pick up the subtle flavors in a cigar. Thats the one thing that makes me want to quit the cigarettes. At any rate, here's my first shot at a review. Special thanks to Julius (bigmanfromou) for the smoke through the MAW thread.

God of Fire by Carlito 2005

52rgx53/4"
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

Construction: This is one of the most finely rolled cigars I've ever handled. The cigar has just a bit of give when squeezed, and is consistently the same all around. The cigar is rich and oily, with no real large veins to speak of.

Pre light: I cut the cigar with a wedge/diamond cuter, and it had a very smooth draw. Not too tight, not too easy. The pre light smell is a hint of leather and caramelized sugar. (I'm a chef, get used to those type of descriptions.) The prelight taste is of dried fruit, apples or dates.

Light - I give the cigar a slow toast with a single jet butane lighter then with just a pull or two have it very evenly lit. The initial taste is a bit sharp, but not near what I'm used to from other cigars.

First third. - After the first few pulls the light up sharpness falls away. I start to taste roasted nuts, with an undertone I can't quite identify, but I'm thinking a bit of light citrus. The burn through the first third is very even, with no running or hot spots. The ash is solid and bright white, dropping just before the 1 inch mark. I partly judge my enjoyment of a cigar based on the quality of the smoke rings I can blow from a single draw (yes, I'm still a kid inside), and this smoke netted me a solid 5 rings.

Second third - A hint of pepper makes its way in to the smoke at this point. The roasted nuts are still there, with the addition of a sort of a sweet spice under it. My best reference to the taste is an allspice, or clove-ish taste, as well as a bit of a caramel taste. The burn stays even, and it's making thick, smooth smoke.

Last third - A bitter taste comes into the cigar, so I purge it, mostly clearing it up. The roasted nut flavor stays strong, as the pepper makes itself more clearly known. I taste a leathery taste come in (Or what the smell of leather would taste in my mind). I have to relight, but that may be due to my relaxing to the point that I neglected taking regular draws of this. I smoked it down to about 3/4" nub before I begrudgingly put it down.

Overall: I am NOT a Fuente fanboy, in fact I'm more of a Padron and Partigas guy. That being said, this was by and far the most enjoyable cigar I've ever smoked. It was flavorful, consistent, smooth, and relaxing. The burn never wavered, and I didn't see one physical flaw in the cigar. Out of a hundred, I'd have to give this cigar a 99. I can't think of anything that could have been done better with it.

Special thanks again to Julius for the cigar, it was a true experience, and I'm grateful. I had the GoF on my wish list for 4 years, and in a month came upon 2. The other is a 2004 Carlito, that I think I'm going to save for the birth of my first child, a rare smoke for a rare day.

I hope you enjoyed the review, because I sure enjoyed the cigar.

I got to quit the cigs to- same reason, just like cigars to much.

Nice review.

Great first review, wouldn't have known it was your first if you didn't tell us. Thanks brother.

Nice review!

Everybody knows how much I love me some GOF . . . :love: Your take is spot on. This is a cigar that just has me looking at it thinking to myself "Damn, what a GREAT cigar" every single time I smoke one.

~Boar

So how does the Don Carlos compare to the Carlito version. Other than the wrapper being different?

As far as how it smokes, I couldn't comment, this is the only GoF I've smoked.

Boar- glad my tastes were in line with what you've experienced.

So how does the Don Carlos compare to the Carlito version. Other than the wrapper being different?

The Don Carlos is milder, but more complex. The Carlito (especially the tubo for some reason) has a LOT more nicotine kick. At least that's been my impression/experience.

~Boar

The Don Carlos is milder, but more complex. The Carlito (especially the tubo for some reason) has a LOT more nicotine kick. At least that's been my impression/experience.

~Boar

Carlito also seems a bit spicier to me. I would call the Carlito a medium/full smoke with a spicy kick and the Carlos a medium strength with a more diverse flavor.

You gents clearly have better luck than me in finding these. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

I love these 2005 Carlito GOF's especially the double robustos. They are much better than the 2007 versions. I have yet to have any of the 2009 versions yet.

I have two GOD OF FIRE tubes left in my humidor I bought about 3 to 4 years ago... I have been itching to smoke one during this summer... If I take another road trip, i will be sure to enjoy one... I've been trying to order more but can't catch them at the right price...