• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

review of Montecristo 4

Kart001

Hi everyone

This review will be about the « famous » Montecristo 4

Wrapper color : Colorado

Type : Petit Corona

Pre light : mostly caramel – toffee - nut. The construction of the cigar doesn’t seem great with many « veins » so it worries me a little before lighting it.

1st third : very spicy at the beginning for the flavour and it became softer after. On the retrohaling, the aromas are to my mind very earthy and woody.

2nd third : the flavour stays spicy and a little creamy. The aromas become a little more on the woody side with apparition of nuts and some pepper.

3rd third : No big change on the savour and the aromas came back on the « earthy side » with still the nutty tasty.

It was very nice and pleasant BUT the fear I had concerning the burning was unfortunately real and the burning was really bad.
The draw was also not excellent and the consumption very uneven.

What I liked :
  • Good variety of aromas
  • Very pleasant aromas
What I didn’t like :
  • the drawing
  • the consumption
Globally speaking, I had a great time with this cigar and it’s only the construction that deceived me.
Otherwise, it was really great
So general rating will be 7/10 for me (with a better construction it would have been a 9)

Attachments

• 20200905_223421.gif
    20200905_223421.gif
    524.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the review!

Question: Did you dry box this cigar?

Love the review. Side question: can you add the year and box code with your cigar reviews of CCs? That helps some of us hone in more on specifics on your smoke and if it’s a good year/factory. Still an awesome review!

Thx a lot for your nice replies. It really encourages me.
I don't have any box numbers because I bought my cigars (for now anyway) individually in what we call in France a "Civette" but it was stored in a cave and I put it in my cave just after having bought it (at around 70% of humidity). I guess I'll buy some boxes but now I'd rather try and test many different cigars to buy after my favorites one :)

Thx a lot for your nice replies. It really encourages me.
I don't have any box numbers because I bought my cigars (for now anyway) individually in what we call in France a "Civette" but it was stored in a cave and I put it in my cave just after having bought it (at around 70% of humidity). I guess I'll buy some boxes but now I'd rather try and test many different cigars to buy after my favorites one :)
No worries! If you don’t have the year or code it is still a good review

I want a cave!

Next time you buy an individual cigar, look at the bottom of the box. That's where the codes are located.

When I was in France I have noticed that most even high end shops keep their stock around or a bit above 70RH. And that did cause burn issues so dryboxing is a must in my opinion. Not something that’s a practice in Europe from what I understand so don’t feel shy to ask for how that supposed to work. On the positive note from my travels throughout Europe Charles De Gaul airport has one of the best and more extensive duty free shops with a full sized walk in humidor and lots of selection along with reasonable prices HINT HINT 😉

Smoked a few Monte 3 from 1998 and they are magnificent. I am smoking some old cigars from my collection and the problem is when they are gone that is it, bummer.