• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reviews & Expectations

CyGar

Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
After asking for suggestions I tried a new smoke I never had before. I got a lot of great suggestions and insight and appreciate everyones input. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed in my purchase. I know that everyones own individual tastes are different but, sometimes I think when you hear a lot of opinions that maybe it raises your expectations to a level that can't be met. I'm not talking bad about my fellow BOTL here because you gave me a lot of insight; I just heard so many great things that what I was hoping for did not meet my taste. I also tried another smoke that is very well known and held highly by many aficionado which again, did not appeal to me. Has anyone else been inundated with information overload and run into this type of situation?

BTW, I will be asking for opinions from you all again so please keep them coming.

I'm a newbie myself, so I don't have any sage advice to give as far as cigars go, but a very wise man once told me that "difference of opinion is what makes poor land sell and ugly women get married." That's why we have so many different brands of everything from automobiles to pizza to beer to you name it. We can all find what suits us best.

One thing I've tried to do as a newbie is find out as much as possible about the different brands and blends, and pick up a few samplers to try to get a feel for what I like and don't like. Two of the first I tried were Romeo Y Julieta 1875 and Perdoma Golf series. I absolutely love the RyJ's but don't care for the Perdomas at all. That's just my taste. Someone else may be exactly opposite.

Just keep experimenting and find what you like.

When I first started smoking cigars, the ones I really enjoyed, I wouldn't smoke now if I got a box for free. I really liked the Macanudos that came in the glass tubes, Partagas Blacks, Cohiba Blacks, RP Fusions...now I couldn't smoke any one of those if I had to. Some of the cigars that I tried back then that I absolutely hated, have become go to cigars for me now. It seems as if my taste for cigars has come full circle from what it once was. It's all a process so things people suggest for you, might not be for you. But at the same time, some cigars one person says they hate, could become your favorite cigar.

Three suggestions: the Newbie Sampler thread, here at CP, and some "themed" samplers from JR, which offers mild, medium, full-bodied, maduro, etc. selections of different brands, and building a relationship with a good local B&M.

All of those will be far more effective than random suggestions from strangers on the internet about what THEY like.

But it would be helpful to know 1. what you smoked that you didn't like, and 2. what, exactly, you didn't like about it---too strong? Not strong enough? Particular flavor you didn't care for? Got too hot? Etc.

~Boar

From what i have seen, as you smoke more you palete changes and what you are looking for in a smoke changes. find out what other noobs seem to like.

I suggest trying the newbie sampler as well.

Which smokes did you try, and what was it about them that you didn't like?

Please don't worry about offending anyone due to them being the one that made the suggestion. A true BOTL is a bit more enlightened than that, and
truly wants you to enjoy what you are smoking. They may even send you another one to try, in the condition that they enjoy them most at.

I myself do not put too much weight into reviews. I.e., they are a certain person's (however much experienced)impressions at a given time, with a given stick (usually after one that is the first time smoking the blend), at a given storage history, under certain circumstances. A lot of variables for me to be able to rely on them to any meaningful degree.

If a smoker who shows years of experience consistently says Padrons are great, then I place more merit in that due to the knowledge of the smoker, his experience with the line (like buying boxes of the same smoke for a year or more), and his apparent objectiveness.

All that said, you should try to understand what you are finding enjoyable. Was it the tobacco? Do you think storage conditions played a role? (try smoking one stored at a month or so at 65 rh and at 70 rh) Are you on medication, especially Antibiotics, or others that list "taste" issues as side effects? Did you smoke other cigars during the day, and were they mild, med, full? Have you eaten recently? What are you drinking while smoking?

Just take your time, buy lightly, learn to smoke slowly, and to "sip". Learn to let the smoke drift out the mouth and nose. All these factors play in to how and what you taste.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm reply to my own thread so I can address everyone.

I guess I was getting ahead of myself. I've been enjoying cigars for 2 years now. I've had the fortune of being able to smoke some high quality sticks including Cubans. At my age, I guess in my mind I was experienced but, I'm still a noob and it seems trying to find my pallet also. I started off with the Acid line mostly the 1400cc. I agree with Jonesy that I wouldn't smoke them again. My tastes have are currently in the medium - full bodied range. I prefer the RP Decade, Vintage 1990 & 92, Old World Reserve (My Fave), Kristoff, Fuente Sungrown Rosado, Nester Miranda Rosado... I think you get the idea of what I like. Last week I asked for some suggestions on non-flavored DE smokes and it seems the best was the Liga Privada No. 9. Saturday was my first no. 9. It looked and felt just like it was described to me but, when I lit it the draw was not as easy as I like. On a torpedo shape I usually go with a nice V cut, I thought that the draw may be due to the type of cut so I made a straight cut, still the draw was not easier. I was also disappointed by the lack of spice too. This was a morning smoke and the first of the day. I had not eaten and was drinking coffee. I do have hay fever and if anyone else here has it they know this season is horrible. I'm taking OTC Zyrtec. I'm thinking a lot of or lack of taste is probably due to both of those reasons, my smell has never been that good either.

Friday night I smoked a My Father which is the cigar I felt was highly rated by the BOTL community. This fell short for me as well. I know we all have our own tastes but, sometimes I feel I just don't get it when I try a highly rated smoke and am not impressed. I also tried a Jamie Garcia Reserva Especial, which I did like very much. It has the perfect draw for me and the right amount of strength and spice. I'm finding I'm trying more Connecticut Breadleaf wrappers with Nicaraguan tobacco. This particular smoke I saw was new but, I did not try to read about so I would not be swayed one way or another. Maybe I'm reading too much into the reviews and should just take them for what they are. So, I have 2 questions now:

Does anything I just said make sense or was I just rambling?

What would be a good smoke to try with Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper made in Nicaragua?

What you say does make sense. Reviews often heighten our anticipation of a certain cigar, and can thus inflate our expectations. It takes some self control to not get absorbed in the hype. You've already learned that your taste profile will change over time. I think that is true for most smokers of this generation, which differs from say our grandfathers. My grandfather smoked a pipe, but he smoked only on brand/type of tobacco...and that was it. If he was out, he would wait until he could restock and just go without smoking until then. It was like that for cigars with some as well. I read reviews as well, and I try to get detached from them when I smoke a cigar that I've read a review for...it isn't always easy to do. My suggestion though would be to just keep smoking. I still smoke as many different cigars as I can really get my hands on. Then I stock up a little on the ones I really like...never to excess though, as you don't know when your tastes will change. Maybe just a box or two, here or there. There are so many great cigars out there, and of course not every cigar is for everyone, as you already know. So...keep experimenting. You'll probably find more cigars that or average or that you don't care for, than ones you really like, but that is part of the process of weeding out the field. Good luck.

What you say does make sense. Reviews often heighten our anticipation of a certain cigar, and can thus inflate our expectations. It takes some self control to not get absorbed in the hype. You've already learned that your taste profile will change over time. I think that is true for most smokers of this generation, which differs from say our grandfathers. My grandfather smoked a pipe, but he smoked only on brand/type of tobacco...and that was it. If he was out, he would wait until he could restock and just go without smoking until then. It was like that for cigars with some as well. I read reviews as well, and I try to get detached from them when I smoke a cigar that I've read a review for...it isn't always easy to do. My suggestion though would be to just keep smoking. I still smoke as many different cigars as I can really get my hands on. Then I stock up a little on the ones I really like...never to excess though, as you don't know when your tastes will change. Maybe just a box or two, here or there. There are so many great cigars out there, and of course not every cigar is for everyone, as you already know. So...keep experimenting. You'll probably find more cigars that or average or that you don't care for, than ones you really like, but that is part of the process of weeding out the field. Good luck.

Thanks, I will not give up. I do think I need to stop trying so hard and just let each new experience happen and let my taste grow.

If you've only tried the cigar once and didn't like I would suggest not writing it off right away. There are plenty of cigars that I tried and did not like the 1st time only to have one again later and thoroughly enjoy it.

You've learned a valuable lesson and one that should not be discounted - trust your own taste. It's for your own enjoyment after all and even if less experienced or less refined than that of anyone else, it is the yardstick you will gauge all personal experiences by. As an example, do you really care if I recommend redheads if they are not to your liking?

Anyway, the true lesson is you now know what you don't like - for now. That may change later, but for now, you know to X those particular cigars off your future purchase lists. You can't know what you like if you don't know what you don't like.

You've learned a valuable lesson and one that should not be discounted - trust your own taste. It's for your own enjoyment after all and even if less experienced or less refined than that of anyone else, it is the yardstick you will gauge all personal experiences by. As an example, do you really care if I recommend redheads if they are not to your liking?

Anyway, the true lesson is you now know what you don't like - for now. That may change later, but for now, you know to X those particular cigars off your future purchase lists. You can't know what you like if you don't know what you don't like.

I'm glad I posted this dilemma. I learned a lot from it and it reinforced the fact I should enjoy what I like and not what I think I should like based on opinion.

If you've only tried the cigar once and didn't like I would suggest not writing it off right away. There are plenty of cigars that I tried and did not like the 1st time only to have one again later and thoroughly enjoy it.

I'd recommend the same.

You may have stumbled on an "off" stick too. One of the last My Father's I smoked was horrid. I put it down because it was so bad. I had one from a different box and it was awesome. Who knows, they were both out of the same humidor, but with any handmade product sometimes you can get a dud.

I'd recommend the same.

You may have stumbled on an "off" stick too. One of the last My Father's I smoked was horrid. I put it down because it was so bad. I had one from a different box and it was awesome. Who knows, they were both out of the same humidor, but with any handmade product sometimes you can get a dud.

I agree with you. I mean it wasn't horrible it just didn't do it for me. I didn't understand what the big deal was. However I've learned now that I should try the smokes that did nothing for me now sometime in the future as I know I will have a different opinion about them.

At this point in your smoking journy the biggest thing is to try a wide variety of sticks. Go expensive or cheap. Well recieved or not. Common or rare. Try to pick sticks that are widely diverse. The reason I suggest this is because until you try a variety you really do not know what you like and you could be missing out on that favorite smoke or unique experience that is out there.

Another thing i would strongly recommend is picking up a journal to make notes about what you like and do not like about each stick. Eventually you will probably start to see trends and patterns in the ones that stick out (both good and bad), which can help guide you in your hunt.

Above all let yourself enjoy the development. This is a hobby that should be fun not stressful or paintful. Keep that in mind.

At this point in your smoking journy the biggest thing is to try a wide variety of sticks. Go expensive or cheap. Well recieved or not. Common or rare. Try to pick sticks that are widely diverse. The reason I suggest this is because until you try a variety you really do not know what you like and you could be missing out on that favorite smoke or unique experience that is out there.

Another thing i would strongly recommend is picking up a journal to make notes about what you like and do not like about each stick. Eventually you will probably start to see trends and patterns in the ones that stick out (both good and bad), which can help guide you in your hunt.

Above all let yourself enjoy the development. This is a hobby that should be fun not stressful or paintful. Keep that in mind.

I totally agree with you. I have recently started a journal on my BB with pictures, prices and notes. I've noticed that I've been puffing my smokes too fast, IMO and I've slowed that down too. I let the smoke sit longer in my mouth to get a better understanding of the taste. This seems to be working better for me because I am enjoying the experience more. I have been compiling a list so things I want to try but, at some point I will go back to the sticks that I felt did nothing for me and taste them again.