• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Revolvers

ree ree robusto

Official Misfit
I feel the need to buy a revolver to add to my collection. All my other pistols are semi-auto. I'm looking into the revolver because of the reliability it offers over the semi-auto. Less parts to go wrong with. So, my question to you guys is, what should I look into buying...I want something that can easily concealed and light-weight.

Was looking at the S&W 642 J Frame. The typical question tho...Is that enough power even with +p? It's a .38 and only holds 5 rounds. Seems like what I'm looking for...light-weight, compact, etc. Or, should I go with a bigger caliber revolver? Like a .357 mag?...S&W 686 Plus 3", 7 shot...

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Thanks,
-ree

I have a few and revolvers and IMO come down to what you intend to use it for balanced by personal preference. If you are just going with a self defense weapon the .38+P can pretty much take care of any issue. The .357 is a much more durable load if you need to punch through obstacles like windshields or doors but you pay for it in recoil and a larger weapon. Since most self-defense situations are real close and face-to-face whichever is more comfortable to carry AND you can shoot well would be my choice.

Personally, I find the revolvers harder to conceal and like the 15 rounds of 9MM to the 5 or 6 rounds of .38 or .357.

Fish

I have a safe full of Glocks, Beretta's, full size wheel guns, but nine times out of ten, when I hit the road, I grap my S&W 642 Airweight and stuff it in my pocket. Mine's just like the one featured in this article; it's got the fully concealed hammer so it's DAO only. S&W says it's rated for +P rounds so that's good enough for me. Though, I have to admit, when I'm at the range I practice with standard velocity lead rounds. For carry I keep it stoked with Federal or Speer +P defense rounds. It's a great small gun. It shoots flawlessly to point of aim and I can hit very well with it out to 25 yards or so; plenty for its intended purpose.

What I like best about it is that I can slip it into an Uncle Mike's "pocket holster" (basically two pieces of ballistic nylon sewn together on two sides) and slip it right into my front pocket and you'd never know it's there. The holster breaks up the outline very nicely. Can't do that with my Glock 26 (which is a fantastic little gun, though). The Uncle Mike's is slippery nylon on the inside, some type of rubbery stuff on the outside so when you go for the gun, the little holster stays put and the gun slips right out.

I've had mine a year and a half or so, and have no gripes. I like the thing enough that I sent it back to Cylinder & Slide for a full action job, barrel crowning, etc. Not that it wasn't perfecly functional but I seen to have a hard time leaving anything I like "stock" for very long....
tongue.gif
When it comes to S&W wheel guns, the guys and C&S are one of the best so I can't wait to get it back and see what they've done with it...!!

Be careful out there - B.B.S.

Edited to add - I have a Glock 23 with a Streamlight light / laser where I can get to it quickly in my bedroom for things that go bump in the night, and when I'm on the interstate / traveling, I'll carry my Glock 21 and a couple extra mags "off body". But, when I make a quick run to the store or to the corner market to gas the cars up, the little S&W hits the nail on the head.

Never get into a gun fight with anything that doesn't say .45
cool.gif
Get a Smith & Wesson 625 .45 ACP Revolver.
thumbs-up.gif

Doc.

Though I have no direct experiance with them, I've been eyeballing a Tarus "Judge". It's a .45 revolver that can also shoot a .410 shotgun shell. 2.5" or 3" cylinder with 3" or 6" barrel.

Ree Ree, I have the revolver you are looking at, and I carry it on me as a "last resort/shit hits the fan" weapon. In addition to my duty (HK USP45), and my backup (HK P2000SK), I have this little guy just in case the bad guy decides to come check if I've got long nose hairs.

I'm pretty happy with it for what I use it for, but in my opinion it is too small for my hands. Now keep in mind, I was issued a Sig Sauer P220 and that was too small, the Glocks I have handled are too small (yeah yeah yeah Tom, I know they are your babies! :laugh: ), and my USP 45's grip was just a wee bit too small so I tossed a Hogue grip onto it and it feels just right.

The reliability of the revolver is there, and I chose the model with the external hammer just in case I need it for a "hostage shot" situation, I can ease off those extra pounds of pull. I tossed on some laser grips, and carry it with Federal +P hollow points.

and my USP 45's grip was just a wee bit too small so I tossed a Hogue grip onto it and it feels just right.

Do you find the hogue grips help maintain the silky smooth texture of your hands throughout a long day at the range?

and my USP 45's grip was just a wee bit too small so I tossed a Hogue grip onto it and it feels just right.

Do you find the hogue grips help maintain the silky smooth texture of your hands throughout a long day at the range?

No, I use "Badass!: The Hand Lotion For Poofs Who Still Wanna Feel Like A Man." Can't go wrong with cocoa buttery moisture.

No, I use "Badass!: The Hand Lotion For Poofs Who Still Wanna Feel Like A Man." Can't go wrong with cocoa buttery moisture.

Heh heh I love the hogue grips on my USP 45

Though I have no direct experiance with them, I've been eyeballing a Tarus "Judge". It's a .45 revolver that can also shoot a .410 shotgun shell. 2.5" or 3" cylinder with 3" or 6" barrel.

Interesting gun, but not good for concealed carry. Maybe to keep in the car.

Ree Ree, I have the revolver you are looking at, and I carry it on me as a "last resort/shit hits the fan" weapon. In addition to my duty (HK USP45), and my backup (HK P2000SK), I have this little guy just in case the bad guy decides to come check if I've got long nose hairs.

I'm pretty happy with it for what I use it for, but in my opinion it is too small for my hands. Now keep in mind, I was issued a Sig Sauer P220 and that was too small, the Glocks I have handled are too small (yeah yeah yeah Tom, I know they are your babies! :laugh: ), and my USP 45's grip was just a wee bit too small so I tossed a Hogue grip onto it and it feels just right.

The reliability of the revolver is there, and I chose the model with the external hammer just in case I need it for a "hostage shot" situation, I can ease off those extra pounds of pull. I tossed on some laser grips, and carry it with Federal +P hollow points.

Jon,
Maybe I just cant read, but did you ever give your recommendation here?

PJ

Edit to say I just re-read the OP and Jon's post and with food in the belly have achieved total enlightenment, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I almost went for the new Ruger...black plastic w/laser gribs. I decided to pass. I'll stick with my Glock sub-compact. Maybe further down the road, I'll buy a revolver for shits and giggles. Thanks for the info, tho, guys...the dirty harry .44 mag 6 inch barrel does look like fun. I bought my best friend that as a best man present for my first marriage. That has some serious kick on the somabitch!

STRUM, RUGER SP-101, 2 1/4" barrel, 357 mag., DAO, bobbed hammer. :love:

Dam near indestructible revolver. Had one since 1990. At 30 feet (indoor ranger) leaves one raged hole.

For civilian carry - Ammo-

1. Extreme Shock Tungsten Nytrilium Air Freedom Round Ammunition 357MAG, 85 GR, 1738 fps ;)

2. Magsafe Ammo 357D, 357 Remington Mag, Pre-Fragmented Bullet, 70 GR, 1730 fps :cool:

Oh, I forgot about THIS

I shot one last year when they 1st came out. :thumbs: Nice!!!

It's the Ruger LCR I almost went for today. Was even going to trade in my SW Sigma Series .40. Backed out of the deal...13.5oz...was so tempting to have a pocket pistol.:rolleyes:

....(yeah yeah yeah Tom, I know they are your babies! :laugh: ).....
...oh, don't get me wrong; I've been looking at some Kimber 1911's with lust.....:whistling:

My best friend tried to get me to go for the Kimber 1911, too when I talked to him this morning...

I feel the need to buy a revolver to add to my collection. All my other pistols are semi-auto. I'm looking into the revolver because of the reliability it offers over the semi-auto. Less parts to go wrong with. So, my question to you guys is, what should I look into buying...I want something that can easily concealed and light-weight.

Was looking at the S&W 642 J Frame. The typical question tho...Is that enough power even with +p? It's a .38 and only holds 5 rounds. Seems like what I'm looking for...light-weight, compact, etc. Or, should I go with a bigger caliber revolver? Like a .357 mag?...S&W 686 Plus 3", 7 shot...

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Thanks,
-ree

I have the S&W 442 (same as the 642, just in the black finish) and I love it. The .38 +p is plenty of power in my opinion. The .357mag in that small of a revolver would make it tough for a follow up shot b/c of the increased recoil.