• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RH Probs...

sonuvabum

Boobies...'cause I likes 'em
After reading a number of threads, I'm fearful I have been keeping my stuff at much too high humidity. Many of you seem to prefer your cigars at much closer to the 65% range with some variance either way but mine have been kept much higher than that.

I've been well north of 70% RH for a long time, partly out of ignorance, partly out of misinformation. I know the numbers because I have a good quality hygrometer and I have calibrated it. Now I'm concerned. Based on what I've read here, bringing my RH down would be a good thing.

My question is this, If I begin to bring my RH down, what if any, are the long term implications for my cigars? Some of these have been aging over a year.

Do I have any potential problems or concerns here?

Anybody got suggestions about how to bring my RH down gracefully without shocking my smokes?

I don't think 10 points of RH will hurt. How are you regulating RH? If you can go slower, do 5 points for a month, then drop another 5 to 65.

If you go "well north" of 70% you risk mould developing and the cigars may become difficult to keep lit due to the extra moisture present. Ultimately choosing your RH range is a personal choice depending on how you like your cigars to smoke. I've heard some people say they keep their humidor at 70% +/- 2%, others go for 65-67%

Have you been leaving them to age higher than 70% and not smoking any of them in the meantime or have you been smoking from this selection? And if so how have they smoked?

If you are looking to age them longterm then I personally would go with 65-67% and drop the humidity incrementally as Nullsmurf said

The burn hasn't been bad but not as good other cigars I've had outside of my own collection. What I have noticed is what others have commented on and that is, how taste and strength is affected especially late. Many have spoke of the benefits of slightly lower RH not only on burn but also on taste. 67% - 68% seems to be a preferred level with some even going lower than that.

I was mainly concerned about the impact of changing my RH.

Sounds like they'll be fine as long as I make a slow steady change.

The foot might split or the wrapper may become loose. That's about the worst case senario aside from mold developing. Just take whatever your using to add humidity out for a couple days and don't sweat it. Folks tend to make things more complicated then they really are.

I age cigars at 70% but I like to smoke them at around 60-63%. All I do it take some sticks out of the aging coolerdor and put em in one of those nice white Montecristo boxes that JR Cigars sell for like $10.00 for a few days with only a gel stick humidifer in it. The gel sticks are idiot proof!

Granted I have 4 Humi's that are all set for about 65%, but they'll vary as high as 72% depending on how hot or cold it is. I've never had a prob after dryboxing for a couple days. Just make sure you don't get em too dry, then they'll burn too hot and harsh.