• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rifle Optics advice.

Just for the record, I'm quite aware that the 30-06 is not a brush gun. Chambering it in a pump however makes it one. To be honest, if I owned the rifle in question, I'd put a 4x scope on it and forget about it. Wasting money on tunning an inherently inaccurate action and doing things like lapping scope rings is absurd. Save your money, buy a Mod. 700 bolt action,which will shoot MOA out of the box, in the cartridge of your choice, and tinker to your hearts content.

Doc.

That was my point as well I hunted with a 30.06 for about 20 years and I know what they are capable of. When I bought mine I didn't know what I do now. I know now that I should have been alot happier 270. You can get a smaller grain bullet for a 270 which makes it shoot alot flatter and strighter for long shoots like we get down here in south Texas. Now I have a 7mm mag. that I use and it is a little much someplaces but when I go down south where you shoot 300 yard shots and more you need it. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a 30.06 but anything over a 100 yards your bullet is going to start droppin pretty fast. I have made 300 yard shots with my .06 but always tought I was a little lucky when doing so.

Having said that if I was going to by a scope for that gun and only that gun I wouldn;t spend the money On the 3.5X10 I would only get at the most a 3X9 and would by something cheaper like a Simmons or something. As long as you get something good enough that the recoil won't screw it up. Cause that is what is most likly whats wrong with that Bushnell right now I have seen more than one of them do the same thing.

Thanks for the help Guns and BBS. I'm planning on using all Leupold parts on this. I'll definitely refer back to this thread as I go about mounting everything. I'll also make sure I get ahold of a good gunsmith out here to get any other good advice.

georgec, I really don't get what you're saying. Look at you ballistics tables. A 30-06 with a 150 gr. bullet will drop the same as a 7mm mag and less than a .270. I don't get all these people who think a 30-06 is an inaccurate or wimpy gun. In fact, it's quite the opposite. A 30-06 is almost too much gun for white tail unless you go with a low grain bullet.

As for accuracy, why would the military use it if it were inaccurate?

Anyway, it's always been a good gun, it just needed a new scope. Now I've got one and it's got new life. Thanks again to those that helped.

Nobody said the 30-06 is not accurate,nor is it a wimpy cartridge. Hell, it'll kill anything in N. America. What I did say is pumps are not accurate enough to spend a ton of money on a scope and gunsmithing. So, go ahead and do what makes you happy.

Doc.

In the long run the pump will be more of a novelty gun for me. Right now it's all I got, so I'm going with it. I'm going to make the best out of it! I'm not planning on taking multiple shots so it'll be as accurate as any other.

georgec, I really don't get what you're saying. Look at you ballistics tables. A 30-06 with a 150 gr. bullet will drop the same as a 7mm mag and less than a .270. I don't get all these people who think a 30-06 is an inaccurate or wimpy gun. In fact, it's quite the opposite. A 30-06 is almost too much gun for white tail unless you go with a low grain bullet.

OK almost everything you have said here is wrong. You are the one that asked and I just said what I thought. I am not sure how big the deer are where you are hunting but down here a 30.06 is not to big of a gun for deer. And that is one of the big problems with a .06 it is hard to find smaller grain bullets than 150 grain. Also a .06 does drop more at 100 yards than a 270. And a .06 and a 7mm might be about the same at 100 yards but when you get out 200 + yards that is where you will see differance.

And like was said earlier it's your gun and your money get what you want. Sorry I said anything to upset you.

The standard twist in an 'o6 barrel doesn't stabilize bullets less than 150 grs. very well. So even if you did find them, they ain't worth a shit.

Doc.

george, look again:

http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads/30_06_springfield/

It is a minimal difference with a 7mm, and better than a .270 with the same bullet. Granted, you can find lighter bullets for the .270 to reduce the drop, but if it's that big of a problem I could pack my own. Plus, there's always the option of using the 30-0 on larger game.

I just don't see where you're getting the info. A 30-06 is not a bad rifle at range, especially not compared to what you said I would be "alot happier" with . It's also alot more versatile.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a new gun. When I do, I'll look back though all this, but I've shot 270s, 222s, 280s and a few other hunting rifles and I'm happy with the 30-06s I've used.

Look I didn't post in here to fight about what gun is better. I just said what I thought. I also never really said there was anythung wrong with a 30.06. But there is no way that a 30.06 will shoot as well as a 7 mm mag on long shots and knock down power I know I have both and have shoot both plenty. Down here where we hunt everything is flat and 300 yard shoot are real common. The .06 is a good gun get your scope put it on and be happy.

I'm done hell I just came over here to learn something about cigars not talk about guns sorry I got involved.

Ummm, I don't think I'm yelling. I justed posted the facts. Anyway, have fun with all that!

OK fellas... The 30-06 that Jay is referring too is actually a fairly accurate gun. I am working on one right now for a guy. I have seen it shoot plenty to know that it is VERY capable of anything within 350 yards with a good shooter behind it. Even though it is a "pump" they are well built to tight tolerances.

Now by no means is 30-06 my favorite cartridge, but give credit where credit is due. If it was such a bad cartridge then there would no't be so many people using it. As far as ballistics tables and working out bullet drop comparisons, these are not long enough ranges that you need to worry about that stuff. Jay is not wanting a friggin sniper rifle here, he just wants a good deer gun. He is choosing optics well by going with something that is not only good for this gun, but good for what he buys next. Very smart choice to make Jay.

To top it all off, the best caliber is what your personal preference is. I don't personally use a 30-06 anymore, but have in the past. And have taken a good deer with it, along with some other game. The 30-06 is definately suitable for some larger game than whitetail as well. If you like the cartridge than you ought to use it, and if you don't like it then don't use it. If you don't like it then you won't be happy with it, and if you aren't happy with it then you have wasted time and money. It all comes down to use what you like, and what works for you.
Just my two cents worth,

B

my pump is a tack driver at 250 yards.. but no it won't put shot after shot through the same hole like my 700.

edit to add, its .270 cartridge and i've shot just about every game animal in the continental us with it. 06 is a great round, but may not be necessary for 95% of hunters who just go shoot muley's and white tails.

Another Jack O'Conner fan, I betcha. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Doc.