• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ring gauge

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I'm curious how it has come to pass that all cigars are listed with a ring gauge that uses the British/American inch? I'm guessing that most cigars were initially listed with a metric ring gauge?

While the length of a cigar is still often listed as metric, the 1/64 of an inch has become standard for ring gauge.

Anybody have any info about this?

I am not a math guy, so this gave me a headache... but maybe accuracy of measurement in a super fine scale?

1/64 inch is 0.015625 inches. That converts to 0.396875mm.

So by using 64ths of an inch, they are almost measuring to half a mm accuracy if I am reading that right?

Which begs the question - how in the hell are they able to be concerned with that level of precision and consistency with a handmade product?

I am not a math guy, so this gave me a headache... but maybe accuracy of measurement in a super fine scale?

1/64 inch is 0.015625 inches. That converts to 0.396875mm.

So by using 64ths of an inch, they are almost measuring to half a mm accuracy if I am reading that right?

Which begs the question - how in the hell are they able to be concerned with that level of precision and consistency with a handmade product?
Because the wooden forms are made to these dimensions?

Funny reply to Jeff. When you spent 4 years listening to bells and everything was in hours, it kinda stuck. So the first time I set the digital clocks in the house the wife is bonkers. After 50 years, she finally understands military time, thankfully.

Last edited:
I think my question has gone sideways.

Why/when did the entire metric world resolve to the American/English standard of the inch?

Why/when did the entire metric world resolve to the American/English standard of the inch?

WHEN did that happen. When I shop any of the EU I still look at metric and personally I do wish they would change, whilst I still am alive, or whatever state I am currently in.

I'm not following. Considering that most NCs come from the same family umbrellas and a handful of factories, sure, the cigars coming out of there share similar sizing descriptions. I'd also guess that most NCs are aimed at the American market, so there's that. Most Euro online vendors I've come across still describe in cm for length -- NC and CC.

I'm not following. Considering that most NCs come from the same family umbrellas and a handful of factories, sure, the cigars coming out of there share similar sizing descriptions. I'd also guess that most NCs are aimed at the American market, so there's that. Most Euro online vendors I've come across still describe in cm for length -- NC and CC.
I "think" these are facts:
  1. Most NC are listed by inch for length.
  2. Most CC are listed by both inch and metric for length.
  3. "All" cigars are listed by 64th's of an inch for ring gauge, even in countries which operate under metric.
  4. Now does the OP make sense?

I "think" these are facts:
  1. Most NC are listed by inch for length.
  2. Most CC are listed by both inch and metric for length.
  3. "All" cigars are listed by 64th's of an inch for ring gauge, even in countries which operate under metric.
  4. Now does the OP make sense?

I think its just a legacy thing that carried over because it didn't make a helluva lot of sense to drop the British measurements for metric.

To answer some Qs, I teach infrared thermography in Latin American countries and part of the program is teaching the most widely accepted temperature scales worldwide, which are Celsius and Fahrenheit, and their corresponding absolute scales, Kelvin and Rankine respectively. In the course materials we teach students that since 1954 the SI accepted unit for temperature is Celsius, and that only the USA and its protectorates still use Fahrenheit. Funny, one of my mentors insists that when Prez Carter tried to switch the US to metric in the 70s, it almost got him impeached. Personally I haven't researched this fact. But nonetheless, the cigar world -- even in metric countries -- follows the system of old, a positive throwback. Enjoy yer cigars, buddies!

OK, the USA was settled by people from England and France etc., who brought over the metric. How and why and when did we switch to our current scale when we started with the other? Also, is one MORE accurate?, or we needed more when we got into higher level scientific purposes perhaps. Enlighten us, please.

Both scales are European in fact. Anders Celsius developed his several years AFTER Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit introduced his. I'd say metric is more easy on the brain as it is WAAAAY easier to divide or multiply times 10 than try to do it in 16ths, 32nds, etc. Or at least on this old fart's brain!