• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Roadside assistance packages

Lumberg

Opus Lover
I have had a couple of offers, one from Cingular and one from my insurance company, USAA, for roadside assistance packages.

I've had AAA for years now and they are pretty good, but also pricey.

I was wondering if you guys have tried any other Motor Clubs or roadside assistance packages, in particular through your cell phone companies or auto insurance companies, and how they have worked out.

Thanks in advance.

I have used AAA for years.
Pricey, but no complaints.
They have always been there when I needed them.

Ive used my friends AAA service...twice. Worked out pretty well, they never really knew it wasnt him or his car.

i have aaa roadside it rocks,you maps free and we took vaction on it, it saved tons on our disneyland trip and south cally trip as for tow used it twice no problem as for usaa had ins. throught them four a couple of years but have always had aaa roadside my :blush: 2 cents :blush:

Both State Farm and Geico offer roadside packages to their members.

Ive got roadside on all my vehicles through statefarm...used it twice and both times its worked out well.

If USAA offers it, I'd hit them up. I cannot say enough good about them. And just about everything I do is through them. Banking, Mortgage, Insurance, Brokerage, Vacation Travel...

If only they sold humidors. That is about all that I need now.

Dave

I travel ALOT stateside, and I have several "roadside assistance" packages with cellular services and auto insurances, but NOTHING comes close to AAA. I have used my AAA several times and have been please beyond words every single time.

Just last week, I was traveling in western Oklahoma in my Motorhome. It was after 10pm on Saturday night and I had to be in OKC the next morning for a meeting on Sunday morning. I was pulling a car behind my motorhome on a dolly and the dolly had a blowout at 70 MPH. Needless to say, the tire and rim were toast by the time I got stopped. I didn't have a jack that would get the dolly off the ground and really didn't know what I was going to do. I called AAA ( I have the AAA-RV plan which is even more expensive but in this case was even MORE worth it. )

I was on a stretch of road between Tulsa and OKC and I was right in the middle of the two. . . about 45 miles from either. . . in no man's land. NOTHING FOR MILES! From the time I called them, until the time I was back on the road was 45 minutes. I WAS IMPRESSED.

I TRIED TO TIP THE GUY AND HE WOULDN'T LET ME!

That is AAA!

I think they are worth every penny!

Just my $.02

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Lumberg said:
I have had a couple of offers, one from Cingular and one from my insurance company, USAA, for roadside assistance packages.

I've had AAA for years now and they are pretty good, but also pricey.

I was wondering if you guys have tried any other Motor Clubs or roadside assistance packages, in particular through your cell phone companies or auto insurance companies, and how they have worked out.

Thanks in advance.
[snapback]237424[/snapback]​

Lumby- there are several motor/ roadside offers outthere, the first to come out with the offer was Nextel
as an employee I had roadside till just before the merger. It ROCKED! I have to say that when I locked my keys in my car with the car still on they got there in 15 min. I was shocked! When I lost my keys they towed the car to the dealership to have it re keyed.
ALL FREE OF CHARGE-
AAA took a whopping 4 hours the day I had to pick E up from the airport recently- Hated the experience and all they could say was sorry...
I can speak of Nextel's ( now sprint's) roadside and all I can say is I LOVED IT!

I also read about a roadside assistance package that is sutomatic for all member's of Sam's Club. I thought that was interesting. I'm a member of Costco. I'll have to look into that as well.

Thanks for the responses, guys. One of the problems with AAA is that if you break down in a fairly populous area in a non-rush hour time in good weather, you're good to go.

But during rush hour, or snow, it's hell. But I doubt that the other RA plans have access to any more tow trucks than does AAA. If you know differently, LMK.

AVB said:
Both State Farm and Geico offer roadside packages to their members.
[snapback]237490[/snapback]​

Nationwide has towing and labor, but not a roadside package...

if you lock your keys in your car, or need your car towed, we pay up to $50 for $2 every 6 months.

Hey all, I work for AAA in Texas, have for over twenty years now if you include part time work. I find that, honestly speaking, AAA offers more than most "roadside packages".

Discounts on insurance, dining, car repairs, lots of free info on our website, thousands of downloadable maps, one of the best routing/mapping programs out there, hundreds of good old-fashioned paper Tourbooks, state maps, city maps, etc. Free Intelliguide reports on just about any country in the world. Lots of travel discounts.

And the towing service is worth it, and here in Texas we average 30 minute response time, 45 minutes in rush hour, and we even have our own fleet of 21 trucks that helps us fill in the gaps that our contractors sometimes can't cover, which has made a world of difference in meeting our committments to our members. Nationwide AAA has now almost 45 million dues paying members, and that many people speaks volumes about our company.

Sure, sometimes we let people down, but the horror stories are the exceptions, our renewal rate is over 90%, and most companies would kill for that renewal rate.

I gotta agree. .. . I have been a member of AAA for over 3 years, and I get my fees back in safings at resturants, hotels, and car rentals alone. Then, the Towing, roadside assistance, and lockout services end up being free.

I spend alot of time on the road, and for me, AAA works GREAT. They have NEVER let me down. Some of the other "roadside assistance" services I have had bundled in other services I have had have not even come close. . .and then don't have near the other services that AAA offer.

Furthermore, since I have a family plan with AAA, and I am away so much, I don't have to worry when my family is having a problem on the road. I LOVE THAT!

Like I said before, that is just my two cents worth, but I think it is money well spent.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

I have AARP through my Dad, used it twice for lockouts. One time was really fast the other time wasn't.

It really depends on the towing company though and not the membership. I will be going back to AAA since I get a small discount through work.