• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Connecticutt Robusto

mostholycerebus

Seeing the deal CI has going on these, I couldn't wait and had to try one before I lost the chance. These had been on my humi for a month, then I froze them a week (precautionary, after a week of 80+ temps), then I put them back in the humi for two weeks now.

I pulled it out of the cello, and noticed the even coloring. It looked as if it had been spray painted, it was so even in tone. The build was fantastic, smooth, even the cap was pretty nicely done. No major veining, and you could hardly even tell where the leaves overlapped. It had even bunching, but was not as springy as other cigars, yet not quite what I would call loose. The smell was woodsy and tobbacco-y. I clipped the end with my cheap freebie guillotine and lit the end.

At this point the fiance and I stepped out into the night air, which smelled strongly of earth and moisture. After a few straight days of rain, it had stopped a mere 30 minutes ago, and I was taking advantage of my window. I took a few puffs, the rich earthy smells of the cool dripping night and the SO's incessant yammering both faded from my mind as I enjoyed the flavors of this cigar. We strolled the dark neighborhood.

The first draws were surprisingly mild. I was expecting a little bitterness after this sticks' trial-by-ice, and it was there, but barely barely in the background. It reminded me of, a fresh oak sapling, with the bark peeled off, in taste and smell. The draw was one of the easiest i've smoked, again back to the smooth theme, and I think it would have suffered for a more tight bunching. I had some uneven burn for the whole stick, but I believe this was due to not sitting in a stable environment for long enough. The oak/tobbacco taste, and the excellent smooth draw, continued for the first and second third of the stick. Also, a pepperyness so mild I hardly dare to call it pepper. It was more like pepper.

Ashing throughout was strong, I don't know if it would have fallen at all despite my pace, had I not tapped it off twice to touch up a run. Completely white ash. Smoke was billowing white, and it remained lit with ease.

The last third was where this cigar really picked up. The smooth draw turned into a smooth taste, as the interesting bits of flavors i'd noticed coalesced into an extremely creamy smoke. Like, a thimble of coffee in a shotglass of warm hazlenut cream. I smoked this guy down to the nub, and left it resting under a bench.

Afterwards, my mouth was filled with a stronger wood/tobbacco taste and, this was surprising, a sweet aftertaste. Now the cigar itself wasn't sweet, it hinted like it could have been sweet, like it wanted to have a sweet profile, but it did not actually have the slightest bit of sweetness that I could discern. Yet, there it was, a creamy sweet taste left over, reminding me of a watery butterscotch.

Overall, I was very happy with this cigar. It was not very strong, and would make a great breakfast or 'light' smoke. It most reminded me of a 5 Vegas Gold I had a month back, which remains one of my favorite sticks to date. I think with 6 months this could be one of the best light cigars i've known, and well worth the $4 price tag. With the special CI is running (about $2 a stick), I think I may have to get into a box split on this with someone.

Excellent review! Very descriptive.

I have to ask, though.....have you actually ever tasted an oak sapling with the bark peeled off? :D

Nice review. I had one of these and agree that it is a very mild cigar Too mild for me to get more of them. It was like having a Mac with an RP band on it :laugh:

Thanks so much for the fine review. I haven't smoked one of these in some time, but I have to agree with what you say. They are too mild for my tastes at the moment.

I've never seen this cigar for sale at a B+M, only at CI. I used to obtain most of my cigars from CI until the start of this year. For myself, CI has lost it's luster (I think that's why I won't try one some time soon).

I can see why more seasoned smokers wouldn't be impressed. The Connecticutt certainly does not have the depth of flavor that a maduro or sun grown does. I can see this as a good 'starter' for n00bs, or just a light smoke for when that's what you want. Actually, I was thinking that this would be a great blend for a smaller size, unfortunatly the smallest they offer is a robusto.

And, yeah, I tasted a good number of trees during my Boy Scout years.

As a Noob First-Class here, I'm sitting on my deck after a day and a half of rain enjoying this same cigar.

My palate is not refined to distinguish individual flavors as many of us Noobs point out, but it is a thoroughly enjoyable smoke for me. Especially since my middle finger on the right hand is ensconced in ice after droppin a cast iron double-bowl Kohler sink on it earlier today! Great time for a break and to enjoy this RP.java script:emoticon(':0', 'smid_3')
:0