• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Redeux

theroberthogan

What is this fresh hell?
Despite all of the construction problems I had with Rocky Patel cigars last summer, I’m giving them another shot since I’m headed headed down to Honduras. I was at my favorite B&M and spotted the RP Signature Edition Toro Sampler.

Cigars in the sampler are:

Vintage 1990
Vintage 1992
Vintage 1999
Sungrown
Old World Reserve
Old World Reserve Maduro
Edge Lite
Edge Corojo
Edge Maduro
Edge Sumatra

I also have a couple I-Pass from the CI monthly sampler. My plan is to smoke as many RP blends as I can in April to procure as much knowledge as I can before heading out. I will be posting reviews and pics here as I smoke through the batch.

I’m looking for a little help in getting my hands on some of the other blends in the RP line. If you have a stick that’s not listed above, I am willing to purchase or trade for them. Please PM me if you can help.

EDIT TO ADD: I've pick up a a few more Rocky stick's, so I will also be smoking the Decade, ITC, Summer Collection and Winter Blend.

I look forward to following this thread. I will be hitting the factory in May and I need to catch up on some of the RP blends.

Robert,

Of all the RP samplers, the Lancero is definitely the best. My fav is the sungrown lancero and the edge lancero. I'm sure we'll find plenty in Honduras. See you there, my friend!

Yep, the Edge lanceros are great and I just ordered a box for less than $3 a stick.. :thumbs:

The only RP's I have found to be good are his Summer edition and Winter smokes...Never could get into the Decade or Edges....

We've sold those Lancero Samplers and Toro Samplers like crazy at my shop.

I smoke the Edge maduro quite a bit. I thought the Winter Blend was sort of a more peppery version of the Edge because they tasted similar.

Looking forward to this thread, keep us posted, I love pretty much everything he puts out!

Robert,

Of all the RP samplers, the Lancero is definitely the best. My fav is the sungrown lancero and the edge lancero. I'm sure we'll find plenty in Honduras. See you there, my friend!

I love the Edge. I will have to try and pic up some lanceros before the trip.

Dennis

Okay, first up for review is the Vintage 1990.

On the pre-light draw, the flavor hinted at herbal tea and cocoa, an indication of what was to come. I had one of these last year, and could not keep the stick burning. I’m happy to report that this time the stick lighted without any problems and kept burning perfectly throughout.

The first couple draws produced tons of smoke and packed a spicy kick. The spice did not linger though, leaving a finish that was smooth. About a half inch in the spice faded and just lingered on the back end of the flavor for the rest of the first half of the cigar. As the spice went away, the flavor was dominated by cocoa.

The cocoa did not last long though, as the Vintage 1990’s dominate flavors of coffee and earth came to the forefront. That’s where the flavor stayed for the majority of the stick, and only bordered on medium body.

Some cigars demand your attention, selfishly forcing you to pay attention to their flavor profile. Other cigars putter along lackadaisically with nothing that even piques the taste buds of the smoker. Than there are cigars like that Vintage 1990 which provide a nice balance of interesting flavors that compliment what your doing while smoking, like reading a book.

As I moved into the final third, the earthy flavor developed into cedar, which weaved in and out of the rest of the cigar. Unfortunately, with about two inches left, the cigar became more and more harsh. It finally got to the point where every puff was throat irritating, even after purging.

I put the cigar down with a lot left to smoke, but I was happy with the experience. Overall it’s not a cigar that I would purchase for my self, but I would smoke it again if someone handed me one. I liked the flavors and the fact that the finish did not leave an aftertaste, but I would have preferred more strength.

*Sorry, not pictures because my iPhone camera doesn't know how to focus.

Thanks for the review.

It doesn't sound like the 90 has changed from what I remember it to be. Now I do like the Vintage 92 a lot!

nice review. I really like the 92s in the Sixty ring gauge. Now that's a smoke! I picked up a box on CB for $97 ($103 w/shipping). Great deal!!

Edge Lite

The weakling little brother of the Edge line, the Edge Lite (in the toro) seemed like a good choice to pair with a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks. There was nothing special on the pre-light draw for this stick, just a crispy taste of fresh tobacco. I tried a new style to cut this one, using my Xikar double guillotine to do a cranial screw-top style cut. Unfortunately I went too deep and butchered the cap, exposing a bit of filler on one side of the cigar.

The cigar was lit with no problems. The first couple of puffs produced a harsh taste, which I blamed on my sub-par cut. After that, the cigar settled into its creamy and mellow flavor profile. The Edge Lite surprised me with a note of leather on the aftertaste. It was not too strong, but it lingered a long time on the tip of my tongue. As far as morning sticks go, I would not normally pick up something with a leather undertone if I was pairing it with coffee. Thankfully, the sugar flavors of my Starbucks beverage balanced out the leather excellently.

The flavor profile on the Edge Lite stays consistent up to the last inch. At this point the creaminess and even the leather went away, and I was left with a harsh, almost metallic taste. I purged the cigar, cleansed my palate and tried again. There was not much improvement, and the creaminess was gone, so I retired this stick.

I would definitely classify this cigar on the low end of medium, but it’s definitely not a mild cigar. Up until now, the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol was the only cigar I would consider for a morning smoke, but I would definitely put the Edge Lite into my rotation if I smoked in the morning more often.

Still love the 1990 and Sungrowns... looking forward to the rest of this thread! :thumbs:

SUMATRA!!!!

Ask and you shall receive.

The Edge Sumatra

There actually isn’t much to say about the Sumatra version of the Edge. The cold draw flavor was a delightful blast of ice tea. Once the stick was lit, the flavor profile was a bouquet of clove and mint spice. It was earthy and sweet with just a hint of spice. The stick stayed consistent from first puff to last.

The Edge Sumatra was a great stick, with an appealing flavor and smooth finish that make it a joy to smoke. The only issue I had with this stick was the size. A toro is simply to long for me to smoke a cigar (regardless of how good it is) unless it has a more dynamic flavor profile. Unfortunately my ADD won’t let me simply enjoy this Sumatra for what it is, but I would definitely like to have a few of these in a smaller size in my humi. I really think this cigar would pair well with a good a book and a glass of scotch.

I had some pretty good pictures of this cigar, but I couldn't get them to upload. I will try to add them later.

Keep up the good reviews! I'm a fan of a few of the Patel sticks and this is good info.

Thanks.

Rocky Patel Summer Collection Lancero

Today was beautiful and I was stuck doing homework for most of it. When I finally got a chance to step outside, the Summer Collection Lancero seemed like a perfect fit for the weather. The cigar was a little difficult to get lit, but once it was burning it produced a ton of smoke on the foot. Unfortunately the draw was non-existent. I struggled for twenty minutes, and finally got tired of all the work, so I put it down and went inside to eat a corn dog.