• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Redeux

GReat reviews, keep going! I love almost all his line, especially the 1990, 1992, decade and now the Edge - just had one tonight!

Catching up on my reviews here.

I Press

The I-Press is a very interesting looking cigar thanks to its extreme box press. The cigar had that deep milk chocolate pre draw that I am becoming accustomed to on Rocky’s sticks. The smoke itself was progressed from toast to coffee to earth with each puff, cycling through these flavors like it had an identity crisis. The cigar never really impressed me, though the flavors were enjoyable. I gave up on this stick right around the band simply because it was uncomfortable to hold. The box press makes gives it a feel in the hand that is unlike anything else I have smoked (including other box presses), and just didn’t feel natural.

Old World Reserve Corojo

The Old World Reserve Corojo in the toro started off with the rich chocolate flavor on the pre-light draw. Lighting the stick was simple, and the initial smoke was mellow and smooth. There were no identifiable flavors on the cigar, and after blowing out the smoke it felt as if I had just finished a class of water. About an inch or so in a subtle spice started to come through, but it was never harsh or overpowering. The spice mellowed just as subtle as it started, leaving a woody herbal flavor, complimented by leather on the aftertaste.

Up to this point, the Old World Reserve Corojo is my favorite stick in Rocky’s line. The flavors blend perfectly, leading to a smoke that is never harsh or uninteresting.

Renaissance

I didn’t even know about this blend until picking one up at a B&M a couple weeks ago, where I picked up a toro. I didn’t do a pre-light draw on this one. The initial puff on this cigar was harsh, to the point where I almost put it down right there. A few more puffs and the harshness smoothed out to a spicy leather flavor that was strong without being overwhelming. My mouth was left feeling dry after each puff, and there was a sharp tingle on the tip of my tongue. I wouldn’t call this a bad thing, but you will definitely want to have something to drink with this stick. About half way in, the cigar mellowed quite a bit, and the tingle vanished. The flavor throughout was very woody, which paired perfectly with my Jack and coke.

After getting past the initial harshness, I enjoyed this cigar till there was about an inch left, when the harshness returned. I didn’t even try to purge, I just put the stick out, satisfied for the most part.

Edge Maduro

Holy sh*t on a taco, I loved the Edge Maduro.

Gratuitous gushing aside, this is one of the best sticks I have ever smoked (second only to the Oliva V Maduro). This is one handsome cigar, and I am kicking myself for not getting pictures of the dark and toothy beauty. I put flame to this foot and took my first puff, only to be greeted with a meaty chargrilled steak flavor that dropped my chin to the ground. My mouth is watering right now just remembering how good that tasted. At this point I expected the flavor to become leather, and I was disappointed. For just a couple puffs there was a leather flavor with a spice kick. This was near the end of the first third, and I was starting to feel the strength of the stick a little. The flavor then progressed into a toasty flavor, which was the predominate flavor of the second third. This was accompanied by a lingering spice on the aftertaste that grew into a leathery spice in the back of the throat.

Unfortunately, at this point the storm clouds rolled in and I was not able to smoke the final third. I am positive that I would have burnt my fingers nubbing this cigar is I would have had the chance. I am definitely picking up more of these.

Nice reviews Robert. I still think you should try the Sungrown lancero. If you haven't yet, wait until we're in Honduras.

Nice reviews Robert. I still think you should try the Sungrown lancero. If you haven't yet, wait until we're in Honduras.

I've got a Sungrown Toro on deck to review, but I have recently fallen in love with the lancero size so I am looking forward to smoking a few on the trip.

Edge Maduro

Holy sh*t on a taco, I loved the Edge Maduro.

Gratuitous gushing aside, this is one of the best sticks I have ever smoked (second only to the Oliva V Maduro). This is one handsome cigar, and I am kicking myself for not getting pictures of the dark and toothy beauty. I put flame to this foot and took my first puff, only to be greeted with a meaty chargrilled steak flavor that dropped my chin to the ground. My mouth is watering right now just remembering how good that tasted. At this point I expected the flavor to become leather, and I was disappointed. For just a couple puffs there was a leather flavor with a spice kick. This was near the end of the first third, and I was starting to feel the strength of the stick a little. The flavor then progressed into a toasty flavor, which was the predominate flavor of the second third. This was accompanied by a lingering spice on the aftertaste that grew into a leathery spice in the back of the throat.

Unfortunately, at this point the storm clouds rolled in and I was not able to smoke the final third. I am positive that I would have burnt my fingers nubbing this cigar is I would have had the chance. I am definitely picking up more of these.

You got that right! These have been a go-to for me for a long time, definitely one of my all-time favorites.