• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Romeo Y Julieta 1875

dannymer1974

Tonight I smoked a RYJ 1875 (corona?) and I wanted to get some feedback from experienced smokers on this particular Cigar. I am a newbie to the sport of Cigar Smoking and am wondering if my tastes are not refined enough to enjoy this cigar?

The smell prior to lighting was decent, but nothing that made me want to take a bite out of it, like some in my humidor. It looked nice with a smooth wrapper of high quality construction. It was easy to light, and the draw was very smooth right off the bat, with a decent amount of smoke with each puff. The consistency of the ash was gray and just a little flaky, but I was outside so I imagine that this would have been a tight ash.

The taste was minimal for me...............this is the problem. In fact, I felt like I was smoking a huge cigarette. I have not felt that way about any of the other cigars that I have smoked over the last couple of months, and wonder if it was the cigar, the atmosphere, my dinner a couple of hours before? In the end, I was left a little dissatisfied and wondering what happened. I was really looking forward to this one too.

Who has smoked this, and what were your impressions? I have a couple of more, so maybe I will let them sit at least 6 months and try them again.

Note: I received these in an onoine purchase about a month ago.......at that time they went through the freeze process where they go fridge, freeze 3-4 days, fridge 1 day, room temp for 1.2 day then in the humidor. Could this impact the taste? Do I need to wait longer to smoke them after the freeze? Does everybody freeze, or is it a waste of time?

Thanks,

I have a couple of these in my coolidor that I haven't tried yet. I keep putting them off and saving them for a different occassion, but I have heard good things about them.

Oh, and I never freeze my cigars when I get them from people.

I'd like to see some reviews of this one from other members. I read a review where these were highly rated and even though about buying a box. Glad I didn't based on your review.

I remember smoking a couple of these when I started smoking cigars a few years ago and thinking they were pretty boring. Considering how much they cost, there are a ton of cigars I like a lot more.

I've had a number of bullies in my short time (robusto size), but my love for everything Fuente and Nicaraguan has kept me from smoking one in a while. The taste for me was always nutty and tangy. Heavy on the tangy. Not bad though, they were always an alright smoke for the dollar and much like the Padrons, they have a taste of their own. That's my .02.

Note: I received these in an onoine purchase about a month ago.......at that time they went through the freeze process where they go fridge, freeze 3-4 days, fridge 1 day, room temp for 1.2 day then in the humidor. Could this impact the taste? Do I need to wait longer to smoke them after the freeze? Does everybody freeze, or is it a waste of time?

You are losing oils and elements of the cigar by doing this. Unless you have a reason, such as holes in the cigar, etc., I wouldn't do it. Just my thoughts.

*edited because my words didn't make cents.*

You are losing oils and elements of the cigar by doing this. Unless you have a warrant reason, such as holes in the cigar, etc., I wouldn't do it. Just my thoughts.

Oh, right, I forgot to address this in my post. :blush: I have never frozen a cigar, and unless I suspected beetles I don't know why anyone would. I don't know if it changes the flavor, but I know for damn sure that the flavor won't be changed if you don't freeze them. :D

I've always thought (with the exception of the maduro RYJ) that Dominican RYJs were lacking.

I really hate to bring up old threads, but I thought I'd add a review to this cigar... this is the only post for a RyJ 1875 I could find.

I was gifted one a few months back and I'm not sure of the exact size but I'd say it's either a robusto or a belicoso. About a 52 or so ring guage and maybe 5-6".

I just got done smoking this guy. On the plus side... it was VERY well constructed, sparked up easily, had one of the best burns I've experienced in all my time of cigar smoking. It had a nice dark natural wrapper.

On the other side, it wasn't very complex at all. It did start off very good and I was really enjoying the first third or so and it was even starting to contend for my entry into the longest ash contest ha. It was a grey ash that held strong, none of the flakiness you experienced. But from the halfway point (where the ash finally fell) it lost all that spicy, cedar flavor it started off with.

I think the price point on these smokes isn't bad at all and it's worth trying. I'm seeing them on a particular retail site for about 80-90 per box, singles going for around $6 depending. But I am glad this was given to me and I had the chance to smoke it, but I don't know that I will buy anymore. And the point about Padrons being around the same price is a great one because now that I think about it, I'd take a Padron x000 over this without even a thought!

Aging might do good things for this smoke, mine was only about 4 months old. And there may be something to this... it also went through a freezing process a couple months ago, but now that I have the fridge I'm thinking of stopping the freezing policy.

I just get nervous when I get smokes in the mail and they've spent easily 3 or so days in spring and summer temps... I dunno.

Here is a pic:
ryj1875.jpg

To add my 2 cents, for what it is worth, I would almost rather have a Backwoods than an RyJ. I think they are boring to the highest degree. The last one I had would not stay lit and neither would the one my friend was smoking. I have never had a problem keeping a cigar moving. And there is just no real taste to these things. If there is one brand that I always skip at my local shops it is RyJ. I am not much of a Cuesta Rey fan either. Those are two brands that I just have no love for at all.

I have lots of brands in my humidor but not one RyJ. I don't see that changing soon.

Only NC Romeo worth smoking, IMHO, is the Habana Reserve. Very good flavor, burn, etc. Everything else they offer is just not worth it.

If you like mild cigars the reserve real is o.k. I could do without this brand all together though, about as exciting as a Macanudo. And as always, the Cuban version is a totally different story. I think these cigars are just riding off of the name recognition established by the Cuban original, like most NC's with Cuban names do.

I'm kind of surprised. I've never had a construction problem with any RyJ that I've ever smoked. No burning issues either.

They are mild, but I don't find them to be as mild as a lot of you guys seem to. I always get a nice bit of floral sweetness from them. They're not nearly as interesting to me as a lot of other brands, but I like them just fine when I'm in the correct mood.

I got a deal on a nearly full box of Belicosos recently. Though they are fairly one dimensional, they do have a pleasant tea / orange peel flavor to them. good fishing cigars. Well constructed, no burn issues for me, either. If another deal came around, I may buy them, but I don't think I'd ever pay retail for them.