• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RP Decade

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
Anoyone seen the new CA with Tiger on the cover ? RP Decade is rated at a NINETY FIVE ??? What the Hell ?

I had a box of these at Christmas, and there is no way this cigar warrants a 95 rating. maybe a 75.

Then I notice RP has a full two page add in the magazine....hmmmmm...

Cparker

Recently, my local shop had a Rocky Patel event, and (un-knowing) I walked in to get a few different smokes. He talked me into buying 5 different rockys , and I smoked them last weekend.

I had an Edge, 1992 Perfecto, a Decade, an Old World Maduro, and an ITC. They were all moderate cigars. Fine construction, burn, etc., just really lacked in the "taste" department. Pretty bland. But the Old World Maduro was very nice and I would consider picking it up again.

The Rocky Patel guy was telling me about the "95" they were scoring before the magazine came out. I told him that I think it's funny how some cigars get such great scores, and also have lots of ads in the magazine. He changed the subject. :D

I'm a fan of Rockies, thier sungrown, Vintage, Edge and of course OWR lines are right up my alley.
The Connecticut is pretty tasty for a mild smoke too.. Never tried the Decade, but I've not been disappointed, sorry to see you have...

The Decade isnt a bad cigar, but it shouldnt be rated above an 88 IMHO. No Patel should be really IMO

I consider most of his stuff pretty good day smokes with the exception of the OWR.

I did like the Decades but thought it over-priced. You can get them ALL cheaper as seconds, though. ;)

I like the decades line. I usually reach for much stronger smokes and it is a very mild smoke, but it has some really good flavors to it.

The flavors aren't going to blow you out of your seat, they just aren't real powerful but I find them very enjoyable.

being totally objective, I saw the 95 rating on the torpedo. Smoked only one.
Did not pick up any of the flavor profile that the "super tasters" recorded.
Construction was very good, with a very good burn and draw. Flavor was more floral, to me, than any other
present. Light spice, a tad of earth. I would give it top marks for everything but flavor.
Medium flavor intensity, with no wow factor, at all. Pleasant smoke. Too pricey for me, for the enjoyment I was able to derive from the cigar.

Ignore the ratings. Fill your humidor with smokes you like and always be willing to try something new. That's the beauty of this stuff. You are never really out of options.

Stinki

i had a decade toro while watching the superbowl this year and i thought it was a very good smoke that i would try again but not at the price they are sold at. 95? maybe 88-91 but im a newbie so my 91 maybe someone elses 81

I did not try to equate a score to my experience. Some of the rating scales rely heavily on construction, performance, etc. Flavor is the most dominant determining factor in what I smoke, but if I start running into consistent construction problems, I just will pass on a brand, or maker. Sometimes with a tear in my eye, but a pass nonetheless.
I never fully agree with any of the rags rating systems. What would be nice if we could get to "know" the raters. Develop an understanding of what they like, the terms they use, the flavors they recognize. I also find it quite silly to rate a whole brand by smoking one or two cigars. But I do believe that reviews are helpful in that they expose us to brands, and possibly give us an idea, however vague, what to expect.
I've had a dog in the same box as a bunch of jewels So, boy, I would have deprived myself of a whole lot of smoking pleasure by judging too hastily after one cigar, or relying on another judgement, after one cigar.

I thought the Decade was ok too, but a 95? Gimme - Edge maduro :thumbs: OWR maduro :thumbs: CI had a really good sale on 50 ct boxes of OWR last month. I think they were $175-$190 a box.

Of the entire line my favorites are the Edge Sumatra :love: and the Sungrown. While I like he others I do not go out of my way to go get them such as Ashtons, ISOM, Fuente etc.

I have not yet tried the Decade ... will have to do that next time in the shop.

95? no way.. Like others, high 80s at best. Dont get me wrong, its a good smoke. But a 95 is reserved for a world class smoke.

Anoyone seen the new CA with Tiger on the cover ? RP Decade is rated at a NINETY FIVE ??? What the Hell ?

I had a box of these at Christmas, and there is no way this cigar warrants a 95 rating. maybe a 75.

Cparker

They do every issue. So does Arganese, I don't see them pulling 95's. General Cigar takes out ~10 pages per issue. Have they gotten 100 yet?

[/quote]

They do every issue. So does Arganese, I don't see them pulling 95's. General Cigar takes out ~10 pages per issue. Have they gotten 100 yet?
[/quote]

Nor do I see them pulling "70" either.

Cparker

I think Arganese actually had an 82 in the same issue. :laugh:

But those cigars are indeed sub-par.

-Jess.

Nor do I see them pulling "70" either.

I've been a subscriber for about 2 1/2 years, and I've never seen anyone pull a 70.

I think Arganese actually had an 82 in the same issue. :laugh:

But those cigars are indeed sub-par.

-Jess.

I had one, a CL3 at LIH, and it was actually pretty damn good.

I might have to revisit them, then. I was given a couple of samples last summer, and wasn't impressed. They certainly do advertise. I have to admit, I think their ads with women are trashy.

-Jess.