• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rugged Humidor?

lineskier53

So I'll be working at a Boy Scout camp for the majority of this summer, and I want to take some cigars with me. I need a humidor that would maintain a fairly good temperature in a tent, and would be rugged; as it won't be in the best environment all summer. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. It only needs to hold about 50 cigars, but maintain a good RH and temp in what may be highly variable conditions as I said earlier.

Wkoti has a humidor that looks alot like a Pelican case. Maybe he'll see this thread and fill you in on some of the details. I have a Cigar Caddy that holds 10 cigars, but that won't quite suit your needs.

edit to add: LINKY

Last I looked Cigar Caddy made travel cases that held up to 30 cigars. I've seen some that hold up to 50, I believe.

I did I did

I bought a 50 count Fuerte Case, comes with a Humidifier, 5 padded inserts for cigars, and the top is cushioned to hold your cigars in place so they don't slide back and forth. I cut a small round out of the padded lid and installed a Xikar Hygrometer. Works perfect for me, $70 straight from Fuerte, the stock Humidifier held a perfect 65%, but I'm a Heartfelt bead whore and got myself a cigar sized tube with 65% beads. I charged the beads, loaded it up, closed the lid, and came back the next morning to find it was at 67% ad 67F. It's airtight, waterproof up to 100 meters, and crushproof. I only use 4 inserts, because I have a lot of bigger ring gauge cigars, so to give a little space I flip the last insert over an put it on top. This thing is a beauty and works as well as she looks!!! Let me know if you want anymore details, or scaled pictures.

WKOTI

Edit to add LINK

Temp-wise, you're going to need to keep it in your ice chest, so something waterproof and airtight like WKOTI's is going to be the way to go.

~Boar

I think a modified Pelican case, say the 1400 might do the trick. They are both air tight & water tight. According to another thread Salukis63 has been using a 1400 for his deployment humi, he uses one in Iraq currently and it sounds like it's working nicely.

I would vote for a Pelican case as well. Then just get some foam inserts that are opencell foam so they breathe though the layers. I think I have a link which I can add. I tossed some beads in some hose and put under my last layer of foam. I would also add to keep them cool put the case in a cooler with some ice. Or you can go like I did on my last deployment and use a ammo can. Line it with old box peices and some foam. Any questions feel free to pm me.

Link for some trays.
http://www.thesherman.com/cigartrays.html

I keep mine in the air-conditioned Nurse's hut.
wink.gif

Doc.

I think a modified Pelican case, say the 1400 might do the trick. They are both air tight & water tight. According to another thread Salukis63 has been using a 1400 for his deployment humi, he uses one in Iraq currently and it sounds like it's working nicely.

I have a 30ct Cigar Caddy, A Pelican 1200 that I adapted, and a Pelican 1500 that I also adapted...the first two use foam and individual sticks..the 1500 I kept the top foam and the bottom foam and then put boxes in there...

I use Heartfelt 65% tubes in all of them...and yes they have been working splendidly I must say... I have an airconditioned area to keep them in so my RH and RT stay pretty stable...if you aren't going to have Air Con you will have to either find a nice shady cool place or find a way to use some type of coolant.

Good luck,

R

If all else fails and depending on how bad you really want to take your cigars, you could dig a hole in the ground and use it to keep your sticks at a cooler temp. We use to do that in 29 Palms in the summer with an ammo can(modded into a humidor). Of course there are easier ways to keep them cool but if all else fails, it is an option.

s7_014694_imageset_01main-Large.jpg

Link

These can be had at just about any outdoor or sporting goods store. They feature a gasket seal, often have a lift out tray and some have compartments on the top for miscellaneous items.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Pelican 1200 case looks perfect as I've been looking for a camera case as well and it looks like I could just swap the foam inserts after the camp is over.
If this doesn't work out, I may just take Doc's suggestion of keeping them in the infirmary there in my desktop humidor.

280XI holds 50-80 cigars. http://xikar.com/product_humidor_travel.asp

If you want to use the humidity beads and dont want to take up space/slot using a tube, check out the humidity sheets:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Humidity+Sheets

Just put it on the bottom beneath all the trays and you wont even notice it.

Good Luck!

I just received the Cigar Caddy 10 count, very sturdy. I like it.

It will serve me on a short trip to Vegas. Do you think it would make a suitable dry box for when one is not traveling?

I just received the Cigar Caddy 10 count, very sturdy. I like it.

It will serve me on a short trip to Vegas. Do you think it would make a suitable dry box for when one is not traveling?

Vegas?!
smile.gif
Be sure to check out Pheasant Cigars on W. Sahara, you might even bump into Par 3 Cigars sitting on the couch
laugh.gif
Pretty good selection and atmosphere.

As for the dry box idea of using a Cigar Caddy, it won't work as it is airtight like tupperware. A dry box is/can be a wooden cigar box or wooden humidor with no humidification device inside which will draw out the moisture from smokes placed inside. My .02

Ah! Good, I wasn't sure if it had to be air tight. I have a cigar box to use for that.

I will make a point to visit Pheasant while I'm there. As always, thanks for the input!

Back on topic, this Cigar Caddy is pretty awesome. I paid $23 I believe, but they are all close in price.

Yeah Jeff, I'll be more than happy to have a smoke with you at Pheasant Cigars on Sahara. You already have the PM, we will make something work!!!

WKOTI

Ah! Good, I wasn't sure if it had to be air tight. I have a cigar box to use for that.

I will make a point to visit Pheasant while I'm there. As always, thanks for the input!

Back on topic, this Cigar Caddy is pretty awesome. I paid $23 I believe, but they are all close in price.

Yeah Jeff, I'll be more than happy to have a smoke with you at Pheasant Cigars on Sahara. You already have the PM, we will make something work!!!

WKOTI

-Mission Impossible theme song playing-

I think it is imperative that you two make the sacrifice for the overall good of CP and do a comprehensive cigar crawl in LV. We will be needing updated and accurate reports of all the cigar lounges, stores, cigar friendly restaurants, bars, etc. Things to be assessed will include GPS coordinates, selection, price, atmosphere, service, etc. Also a thorough evaluation of the eye candy at places like Casa Fuente, Rhum Bar and the like will be necessary. Should you choose to accept this mission, you will be doing a great service to your country and CP! This message will self destruct in 30 seconds!!!

WKOTI

-Mission Impossible theme song playing-

I think it is imperative that you two make the sacrifice for the overall good of CP and do a comprehensive cigar crawl in LV. We will be needing updated and accurate reports of all the cigar lounges, stores, cigar friendly restaurants, bars, etc. Things to be assessed will include GPS coordinates, selection, price, atmosphere, service, etc. Also a thorough evaluation of the eye candy at places like Casa Fuente, Rhum Bar and the like will be necessary. Should you choose to accept this mission, you will be doing a great service to your country and CP! This message will self destruct in 30 seconds!!!

Intriguing. My wife may break the bank if she stays at the spa for that long, but I'm up for giving it a shot!