• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ruined the Humidor?

Peterk814

Hey guys,

I just got my brand new humidor, and I was seasoning it using damp sponges ontop of plastic wrap. I put them in made sure everything was ok and left it for 24 hrs. I opened it up today and one of the plastic wraps was leaking. There is now a huge wet spot on the bottom of my humidor. I am not sure what I can do. I have read a little bit, and I am afraid the water soaked into the wood. I dried it as best I could with paper towels, and the wet mark is almost gone. However has too much water soaked in? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Just close the lid for a while & check the Hygrometer.If it reads to high open it up for a while & let it dry out.I highly doubt if you ruined it.

I would leave it open and let it dry out totally for at least a week. The concern here is that any glue used in construction might have gotten wet and perhaps might support mildew or mold growth.

Let it dry out completely and then restart the conditioning process.

Wilkey

Agreed. If it was just a damp sponge, I don't think you have much to worry about.

All good suggestions of course. I doubt it's "ruined".

Unless you spilled a large amount that would cause the glue issue as Wilkey said or maybe a warping issue that would compromise the seal, I'm sure it'll be ok if you open air it for a week.

thanks for the help guys..luckily the water was no where near the seams of the box so I dont think glue will be a problem. Hopefully it'll dry out quickly

While in Iraq the only way to maintain my stash was to Soak one of my Onyx boxes for about 5 mins. I clipped the cello to end but left it on the stick. So dry there I had to do this weekly. In addition to the soaking of the box, I also kept several of the small square spacer blocks soaked. It really did do the trick. I did have AC set at 75 but I usually had only 5-10 smokes to maintain.
Semper Fi

I think it would take a lot of water to ruin it, especially if it got into the joints. It is probably ok and I would not worry about it.

As Norman said, you really would have to have had a significant amount of water to soak in for it to have done damage. Basically the only two concerns would be one are the joints sopping wet, and two did the water soak down through the wood to the laminate. If it soaked down to the laminate then you would see a wet spot on the bottom. If the joints are too wet then you should get some what of a cracking in the joints or warping. The manufacturer would have used wood glue in the joints which is not going to come undone. What you would see if there was damage would be the wood cracking or splitting around it. Again if they glued the seems right then basically unless you plunged the whole humidor into a bucket of water you should be good.

best of luck