• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Running my first half marathon tomorrow. Not sure why.

Eshaw99

Just livin' the dream
Last year my wife signed up for the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, which is the largest half-marathon in the country. She had never been a runner before, but she trained for months and lost 50 lbs. in the process. Watching her finish was exciting, so I said "I'll do it with you next year". Fast forward one year. My training regimen has consisted mainly of 12 oz. curls while proclaiming it too cold to run. I am not remotely ready for this, and I fear my love of cigars may prove to be a detriment.

My only encouragement comes from the fact that I saw people much fatter than me at the Participant's Expo last night. Here goes nuthin'.

Good luck brother I have a 10 miler coming up this August and fear that! Next stop is the half. 

Have you done any fun runs before or did you just say WTH lets do the half marathon?

Paul

Tall Paul said:
Have you done any fun runs before or did you just say WTH lets do the half marathon?

Paul

Not really.  I did a 5K in December, but that's not much comparatively.  I tried to cram a bunch of training into this past month.  I did 4 miles 3 weekends ago, 6 miles 2 weekends ago, and 8 miles last weekend.  I didn't build up much endurance, but I did make my feet hurt to the point of where my wife was able to convince me to spend $120 on a pair of decent running shoes.  Could've bought a fine bottle of scotch for that.

Fortunately you have several hours to train. Good luck!

Good luck! There's nothing like a good runner's high. I've done 3 marathons and some marathon relays. It's addictive. Finish that one tomorrow and the drive over to meet me in Cincinnati for the Flying Pig race on Sunday!

Enjoy the race!

Eshaw99 said:
I didn't build up much endurance, but I did make my feet hurt to the point of where my wife was able to convince me to spend $120 on a pair of decent running shoes.  Could've bought a fine bottle of scotch for that.

Your feet will be thanking you for that decision around mile seven, the rest of that day and the day after, to be sure!

Good onya for doing the race!  Best of luck!  :thumbs:

Good luck man! Take it easy, walk when necessary, hit every water stop and if you need to... prepare for chafing.

YOU CAN DO IT

p.s. Bring some bandaids if you have a pocket for them.

Nice. Protect those nipples. Im doing an Olympic triathlon sunday in dallas

Forgot to say before good for your wife for such great results and working so hard last year! 50 pounds that's crazy!

Paul

3:02:14

Chafing was an issue. You don't want to know where.

Vaseline will help with the chaffing.  Apply liberally before your run.