• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RyJ '94 Box Split

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I hate to be the bearer of bad news:

Well folks, as we all can attest to, JR's keeps their stock pretty wet - RH well above most places. It, unfortunately, looks like 10 years of sitting in a JR's warehouse was too much for our much anticipated RyJ 94's.

I'm not going to put these puppies in my humi.

I'll deal with JR's tomorrow to get our $$ back. I was going to call them anyway because they sent the box in a thinly padded envelope ??? I've always received my orders in a box before now.

140132_136_full.jpg

i know im not in on this, but for education purposes, could someone point out whats wrong in the picture??

thanks!
Mike

I aint in this one either, but doesnt that band seem a bit white for being 10yrs old, AND at to high of a humidity??

Just curious

Those black spots are quite blue in person (sorry for the low light). I could be wrong....maybe this IS normal, but I've always read/been told that white=good and blue=bad. Any FOG's care to weigh in. ???

I'm no FOG by any stretch but blue equals mold and that aint good :angry:

dixieland_conjunction said:
Those black spots are quite blue in person (sorry for the low light). I could be wrong....maybe this IS normal, but I've always read/been told that white=good and blue=bad. Any FOG's care to weigh in. ???
hmmmmm, are the spots fuzzy and raised along with a blue/green color? Or are they just spots on the wrapper?

Cause if they are just spots on the wrapper then I'll bet it's fine.

Just curious, as this isnt my split, but I won't order from JR's if that is what is going on.

phil

Well SHI...!

I was goging to take the band off to look under it to check for mold and the ENTIRE wrapper, except for the cap, came off. WTF??

Well some of the mold (?) had gone through to the binder so, I don't think they were just spots in the wrapper.

It it possible to be dead mold? I mean, no wrapper just peels off like that if it is wet. These actually don't seem wet, but nearly everything else I ever get from them is. Of course they did just mail it in an envelope - the box was not wrapped in plastic like newer boxes are - but the gars were in cello and it was only in the mail for 2 or 3 days ???

Anyone else have any insight?

There is no doubt in my mind that is mold.

Yes mold can die and/or enter a state where it is dormant. It does not disappear when it dries up.

Let me put it this way....it sure as &*(^ ain't bloom!

Phil said:
....that band seem a bit white .....
Partly being white, plartly the halogen light source, and partly haveing the levels auto-corrected in PhotoShop.

Dixie

Lumberg said:
There is no doubt in my mind that is mold.

Yes mold can die and/or enter a state where it is dormant. It does not disappear when it dries up.

Let me put it this way....it sure as &*(^ ain't bloom!
Well :(

I am hoping that I'm wrong (except for the one that just desintigrated in my hand ??? I'll still try to get my $$ for that one), but I still dunno...

Yea, it doesn't look too good. ??? Maybe JR's will offer something good in exchange. Let me know what you want to do with the split. FYI, check was sent yesterday.

Big Slim Junior said:
Yea, it doesn't look too good. ??? Maybe JR's will offer something good in exchange. Let me know what you want to do with the split. FYI, check was sent yesterday.
Well, if the feared is true....I'll just not cash it. I'll probably still send the other favorites I was including to everyone for playing...

Cheers,
Dixie

MAN, this sucks regardless bro! I hope you get the best end of the deal regardless!

Good luck

phil

Phil said:
MAN, this sucks regardless bro! I hope you get the best end of the deal regardless!

Good luck

phil
I still have hope.... Two of you didn't see the prob imediately, so maybe, just maybe I'm a dumbass....

Cheers,
Dixie

I am hoping that I'm wrong (except for the one that just desintigrated in my hand ??? I'll still try to get my $$ for that one), but I still dunno...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those sticks beling either in the trash or sent back to JRs. I am 100% sure of that. Feel free to get a FOG to corroborate.

Lumberg said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those sticks beling either in the trash or sent back to JRs. I am 100% sure of that. Feel free to get a FOG to corroborate.
Well, if you're that sure...

Most of the old fogies get up from their naps about 9:30, so we'll see what happens.

Cheers,
Dixie

I'm not going to comment of the condition of the sticks as I don't have one in my hand. However, JR's is real good about refunding your money or sending you something else. :thumbs:

Alright, here's the skinny....

I had already packed up everyone's except for Miles's because we're doing a music trade as well.

Right now I'm glad I have enough rep around here so y'all don't think I'm making this up. I went ahead and reopened all the packs and inspected each cigar super-carfully. The result was that only 8 more sticks were suspect (2 of these were simply poor construction and were cracked). Almost all the sticks have a slightly smushed foot, but nothing to complain about since they are 10 years old.

So, I took one of the sticks that was not in question and fired it up to see if any of the spilled (potentially roten) milk was worth crying about. The verdict: We MUST, I repeat MUST see if they did not sell out. It was FANTASTIC!! :0 Seriously, it was one of the best sticks I've ever had!

As I recall, this did go the full hour last Friday, so there is 1 billionth of a chance that they still have a box left. I will call first thing in the morning. I don't want the $$ refund, I want replacements for those 9 - and NOW.

Cheers,
Dixie

Phil said:
So you don't think it was mold?

Phil
No I still think it's mold.... in fact the 7 that were suspect (from mold) were (I think ) in the order I took them from the box and put them into the baggies. The worst of them all was the first one I pulled out of the box (top row left side) and they seemed to get less sevee from there. The chance event (I was afraid would sound like I was making up) was what I forgot to say - the one I took a picture of that started the whole thing happened to be the worst example. ???

I would not have smoked the one that fell apart on me. It was covered in blue spots/sploches.

Before joining here I had about 70 cigars ruined because I (foolishly) had no humidity guage of any sort. I returned from a week-long trip to find squishy blue noodles, so I know what it looks like when its REALLY bad, just not a little bad or a past occurence (dead mold),

Cheers,
Dixie