• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RyJ Robustos EL 2001

headstrong

I’ve recently come across a box of RyJ Robustos EL 2001 that I felt were highly suspect. I have smoked one from the box and it was definitely “off” tasting, at least to me. I have since sent these back. I received these from an individual and not a supplier, so I'm unsure what exact vendor these are from. And unfortunately the person I bought these from couldn't remember the actual vendor.

I would like some opinions from others as to if these look “right” to anyone.

1. Box code is TDV DIC-01
From information I've gathered, this factory code wasn't in use until 2003. Also, the font face for the box code is a bit suspect as well, compared to others I’ve seen.

2. There are two different color pieces of wood making up the bottom panel.

3. The Totalmente and Hecho stamps appear to have been done with an inked impact stamp and not burned in.
You'll notice the damage to the wood the stamp made around "Totalmente"

4. The EL band on the outside of the box and on the cigars is nothing like any other EL band I've seen out there, except on fakes.

5. The construction of the cigars is horrible and the caps are hideous.

6. The cigars are not boxed pressed whatsoever, they are completely round.
There should be a box press to these as there is on most dress box cigars. The fact that they have supposedly been sitting snugly in the box since 2001 would make the box press even more evident, although it is not.

7. There is a hologram sticker on the front of the box.
From information I've gathered, Habanos didn't start using this sticker until October 2003. Also, these stickers were only used on boxes sold in Cuba and not affixed to boxes destined for export sales.

8. The warranty seal looks like a cheap bubble jet rendition.

9. The serial number starting with FL doesn't coincide with the box date. From what I've seen they were using DXXXXXX serial numbers as late as 2004.

10. The Habanos chevron band on the top of the box looks like a cheap fake reprint.

11. Bands don't look right.
Looking at the scans of the bands, I noticed two inconsistencies. One, the raised impressions on the both bands are incorrect compared to the real band. Also, the underside of the real band is yellowed, evidence that it's been wrapped around a cigar for several years. The suspect band is more white in color.

1st band: Real RyJ Robustos band.
2nd band: Suspect RyJ Robustos band.
3rd band: Real 2004 EL band.
4th band: Suspect EL band.

http://i1.tinypic.com/sfjvci.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/sfklds.jpg

And the visuals:

The suspect cigar located on the top:

The suspect cigar located on the left:

The suspect cigar located on the right:

The suspect cigar located on the left:

Just consider yourself lucky that you were able to send the box back. As for someone not remembering where they purchased a box of EL's that sounds suspect at best.

Thanks for the pictures and the analysis :thumbs:

Chris,

A. The evidence that this is a bogus box is overwhelming.

B. Professing not to know where one purchased a box of EL's is unimagineable. There is willful intent to defraud.

Now onto the point by point:

1. Box code - I don't know for sure about the TDV code, but it looks suspiciously like the code on Chuck's Fake Bolis. See below.
2. Wood on box bottom - looks fishy. I've never seen this before
3. Totalmente stamp - hard to tell from your picture
4. EL Band - the row of dots on the box EL sticker should be embossed, the year and dots should be embossed on the cigar EL band
5. Looks reminiscent of Chuck's fake Boli's with a different band on them
6. Box press - seems reasonable, the only EL's I have are in cab/SBN and thus not box pressed
7. Hologram - very not good. Looks identical to the hologram sticker on Chuck's fake Boli Coronas box. See below.
8. Warranty Seal - again, looks just like the badly done knockoff on Chuck's box. See below.
9. Serial number - absolutely right on. There is some slop in the letter/date correspondence but this is waaaay off.
10. Habanos sticker - hard to tell from your photo
11. Bands - I think you're right on

Bogus Hologram
FakeCubanHologram.jpg

Bogus Box Code
FakeBoxCode.jpg

Bogus Warranty Seal
SealsFakeReal01.jpg

Now, the kicker is this. I know the country where Chuck procured his fake Bolis. And I also know of fake RyJ EL's coming from this same country. I believe I told you who one vendor in question is. If you do not know the other, PM me and I will send you that info. I hope that you will share the identity of this inidividual with me so I can cross reference it with some other information I have.

Wilkey

Headstrong, although the person took the cigars back no problem, he needs to be outted for the protection of everyone else. These are bad fakes and the person selling them has to know they were fake.

Here's a question.. how is it a vendor could STILL have these (R&J El robusto) in stock today w/ box code EAR NOV01? Doesn't that seem odd?

I have always felt that members at large, should know who sold the cigars, whether they took them back or not. If they are bad fakes, let people decide as to whether or not the seller knew. Novices, newbies, etc. must be protected or else the integrity of the entire community is diminished.

As for the retailer -- now that greatly disturbs me. If these are without question, fakes, and a vendor has them -- I think the vendor needs to be disclosed. Personally, I don't care if they are a sponsor, advertiser, or someone's brother. If there is an issue or situation, then let it get addressed. Otherwise, where is the integrity here?

Eric

Hi
Since were discussing fake cigars. Does anyone like smoken the fakes any way? Or are they that bad to smoke.
Mr Smoker

It looks like Kab55 is the one who sold these to Headstrong. These are such poor fakes I have trouble believing he didn't do this on purpose. He has been selling a lot of product over at CF and now he is going to be outted. I have a bad feeling that he has sold a lot of fakes and that a lot of people were taken advantage of.

I will be using this thread as evidence so don't be surprised if you see the view count sky rocket.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have disclosed the source of these cigars privately to both Master and Ginseng. This transaction happened on another site and through The Master's recommendations, I will be working on getting the details out in public. Unfortunately, as stated, the person I bought these from told me he didn't remember where he bought them. Although, I have reason to believe they came from an online Canadian retailer that recently sold some Fake Bolivar Corona cigars to another member here.

** Edited to say, Thanks for the help Master ^^^

Hi
Since were discussing fake cigars. Does anyone like smoken the fakes any way? Or are they that bad to smoke.
Mr Smoker

I have heard that some fakes are actually not bad. Unfortunately, I have come in contact with the specimens that are bad enough to turn you off to cigar smoking in general.

Chris,
I'm glad to hear that the big guns are working on the case. Looks like another one for the Scumbag List.

Wilkey

"2. There are two different color pieces of wood making up the bottom panel."

I have never seen that before, fake or genuine. That would have stopped me cold right there.

If you look at the factory code and date stamp, You'll see "TDV DIC-01" From my experience, no box of real cuban cigars has the dash - in between the month and the year! Definitely FAKES! JMHO :cool:

Sidewinder