• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Salmon al Cartoccio

Wolfie

Alien
This is a quick and easy one that can be put together on the grill while you enjoy a smoke and a beverage. The pouch keeps the salmon moist and easy to handle amidst whatever else you may have on your grill while pacifying your guests who may be decidedly against fish (or perhaps meat in general). This treatment works just as well on swordfish, chicken, pork, etc. ...even eggplant, if you are so inclined. Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of salmon, but this one sits very well with me.

2 salmon fillets (fresh and wild if it's in season and you can get it)
4 Roma tomatoes (or equivalent portion of your favourite variety)
2 chopped shallots (red onion is fine)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
olive oil

Halve tomatoes lengthwise and seed. Rub down with olive oil, salt and pepper, and place onto a rocket hot grill, turning as needed until fairly charred all around but still retaining structure. Dice roughly and place in a bowl with shallots, thyme, about 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a good amount of black pepper. Add 1-2 tbls olive oil (I like to also toss in a splash of whatever white wine happens to be open, but you won't miss it if omitted).

Season salmon (or your chosen protein) and lay on foil. Spoon your fire roasted tomato mixture atop the fillets, seal, and place on the medium area of your grill for 20-25 minutes, depending on your protein, cut, preference, and grill. I do about 20 minutes in an oven at 400.

I've found that the time it takes to put this all together is about how long quartered red potatoes, baby carrots, onions, and a collection of squash need pouched on my grill.