• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Salt test questions

martinman

I'm trying to salt test the digital Hyrdometer I picked up from radio shack. I do as the directions suggest - salt in a small lid (milk lid for me), and water. I'm not sure how much water to use, so I put just enought to wet the crystals. Anyway, I can't get it to read more that 66%. I checked for holes in the ziplock, and even tested it several times with the hydrometer in different positions. No luck.

Am I doing something wrong? Or can these things be 9% out of tollerence?

thanks,
mm

That's why we do salt tests.... just remember the number it is off by and +/- the difference.

Try the salt test again, I'll bet ya get a different reading. You said you're using a Radio Shack Model, wireless?? If so put the whole unit in, the wireless one I have also takes a reading of the area the main unit is in. My main unit is not even close to the wireless one and the remote sensor is off by 2-3%. For me, anything between 60% - 70% makes me happy.

Try using a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.

You want the salt damp, but not runny.

Leave in the jar for at least 24 hours.

Bah! Now it says 75%!

It's been in there for 3 hours.

I have an airtight container that I use to to store coffee and tea. I'll try that next.

martinman said:
Bah! Now it says 75%!

It's been in there for 3 hours.

I have an airtight container that I use to to store coffee and tea. I'll try that next.
[snapback]182134[/snapback]​
leave it alone for 24 hours. my flucuated for the entire time, except the last 4 hours it was dead on 75%, patience ladd, patience!

Someone sent me a "The Humidor Bag" that Fuente makes (thx again bfreebern!), with the 70% humidipak inside. this is supposed to be a near-perfect option as it will hold the 70% very well- the bag is very airtight. Plus the larger size held both my wireless and base stations. You might look and see if you can locate one of these in your area... if not get me your address and I'll pass this one off to you. After 24hrs mine was only off by 1%

B.B.S.'s method:

- I like to use a shot glass to put the salt / water in, as you can see through the sides of the glass when the salt is wet. Not soaked, but good and wet. I fill the shot glass about 1/4 go 1/3 of the way with salt and add water with an eyedropper.
- Put the shot glass with the gruel in it and the hygrometer in a ziplock bag.
- Put that bag in a second bag.
- Leave it along and go to bed
- In the AM, you will have a 75% environment in the inside bag. Make a note, mental or otherwise of any delta in the reading on your hygrometer.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Swissy said:
Someone sent me a "The Humidor Bag" that Fuente makes (thx again bfreebern!), with the 70% humidipak inside. this is supposed to be a near-perfect option as it will hold the 70% very well- the bag is very airtight. Plus the larger size held both my wireless and base stations. You might look and see if you can locate one of these in your area... if not get me your address and I'll pass this one off to you. After 24hrs mine was only off by 1%
[snapback]182160[/snapback]​

The Hot Potato bomb I sent to coventrycat had all the cigars in those bags!!!
best damn thing on the planet