• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
Without 30mph sustained winds, rain and even the recent April snowfall we just had I am left with a bright, sunny Sunday morning. We haven’t had many of these lately so I was of no mind to let it go to waste. I ran down stairs and got my pipe, my jar of FVF and my coffee and headed out to the deck. Here are my thoughts on this wonderful tobacco:

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

When I first got this tin almost two months ago, the tin note was purely cut hay. Not at all an unpleasant aroma but I was hoping for something a bit more out of it. When I opened my jar to do this review I was treated by a completely transformed aroma. The fresh cut hay is still there, but in the background. A strong fig or date smell with a tangy element is up front and immediately noticeable. There’s also a slight leathery smell in the background. I rubbed out a little over two flakes and packed it into my Boswell poker. The taste is that sweet fig with some tangy hints throughout the entire bowl. The fresh hay and leather come in and out of focus but are appreciated when they do show up. I’m still packing too tightly and had quite a few relights in the first third of the bowl. I did a little adjusting though and the last two thirds were an absolute treat. Tangy, sweet and rich tobacco while I had a nice cup of coffee and watching a WW2 documentary on Netflix. This was a Sunday morning well spent.

I am pretty much immune to nicotine but I’ve read numerous times that this is a beast in those terms. So if you aren’t as immune to it as I am I would suggest eating first and maybe have a sugary drink to accompany your bowl so your experience isn’t ruined by a queasy feeling afterwards. This is a wonderful tobacco and I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Nice write-up.
The relights could have been from not drying the flakes out enough...

I think the moisture level is also to blame for it. The flakes feel like the right moisture level, but all three bowls I've had out of this tin have been plagued with more relights than other tobaccos. My usual 20-30 minute drying time for tobacco isn't getting it done with this tin.

I think the moisture level is also to blame for it. The flakes feel like the right moisture level, but all three bowls I've had out of this tin have been plagued with more relights than other tobaccos. My usual 20-30 minute drying time for tobacco isn't getting it done with this tin.

Rub it out, then let it get crunchy. I don't think 20-30 is long enough.